What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

After a great weekend on the borders run my fuel pump failed whilst still in Moffat just as I was about leave to head home to Newcastle Upon Tyne.  I got recovered home on a flat bed truck which was fortunately covered through my breakdown cover.  These things happen it was a shame not to get to drive home ?

Got a call today from the garage confirming it is the fuel pump that was at fault which is great and they have a new one which is also great. Very reasonably priced too which was welxome news.  The downside though is that the fuel sender unit as well as the old fuel pump have had signs of being worked on before and potentially bodged to repair them as bits were glued up etc and also the gasket seal on the tank where they fit was half in/ half out and not sealing it properly which would explain a slight fuel smell occasionally and also the sender unit arm itself with the float attached had been repaired but is bent and can not reach the top of the tank which would also explain why the fuel gauge reading would never go above just over 3/4 even when the tank was brimmed full.  To say I am fuming ? is an understatement that someone could do this to a Porsche without just sorting it properly and it will cost me another £200 in parts and additional labour.  On the bright side though at least it will be fixed although not until Thursday now once the parts arrive from Porsche as you can’t buy the sender aftermarket and it will also sort the fuel smell and gauge reading out at the same time which were jobs on my list to get looked at.  Will be pleased to hopefully get it back on Thursday 

21 minutes ago, Patt said:

I'd ensure the fuel filter is replaced too, if your has a separate one.

newer cars have it incorporated into the pump.

Thanks Patt I am pretty sure the garage said it was incorporated in the pump but I will certainly ask and get it changed too thanks 

think it was 2000/2001 they changed to the internal jobbies, so you should be fine when they replace the pump.

If the old one has been that bodged, I'd want to ensure any of the bodge hit a filter, rather than the engine.  The external one is only about £20 from memory.

12 hours ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Nice ? Car hood warehouse? Hope you don't mind me asking, how much? Do you also notice the smaller rear window?

Cheers. Local chap who was reviewed really well and same price as CHW for a mohair with glass and headlining of £1050.

If you're looking directly out the back when reversing it is a little smaller but still fine. When using the rear view mirror you notice it's not as high but the width is fine. It is much clearer than the plastic screen that was on there though. And I don't have to do the Boxster chop anymore.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Eddy555 said:

Cheers. Local chap who was reviewed really well and same price as CHW for a mohair with glass and headlining of £1050.

If you're looking directly out the back when reversing it is a little smaller but still fine. When using the rear view mirror you notice it's not as high but the width is fine. It is much clearer than the plastic screen that was on there though. And I don't have to do the Boxster chop anymore.

Thanks. You're car looks in lovely condition so worth the investment. And the chop is a real PIA!

• Like 1

Still are - I think adding the extra headliner ramped the price up.

I know when I had mine done they re-used the standard "S" headliner.

CHW pricelist:

1997-02 Porsche (986) Boxster Hood (Mohair) – Plastic Window £470 £560
1997-02 Porsche (986) Boxster Hood (Mohair) – Glass Window £545 £695
2000-02 Porsche (986) Boxster Headliner £415 N/A
2000-02 Porsche (986) Boxster Hood (Mohair) & Headliner – Plastic Window £885 £910
2000-02

Porsche (986) Boxster Hood (Mohair) & Headliner – Glass Window

£960 £1050
  • Like 1

drove it in the rain! was in a convoy of cars doing 32 in 60 zone, couldn't see why, turned out it was a woman in a Rover Rover Evoque, two BMW's behind her overtook, left her and another small car - eventually got them lined up on a bit of straight road and drove past, it was quite dangerous following them as I was almost waiting for someone to run into the back of me :(

8 hours ago, Southy said:

drove it in the rain! was in a convoy of cars doing 32 in 60 zone, couldn't see why, turned out it was a woman in a Rover Rover Evoque, two BMW's behind her overtook, left her and another small car - eventually got them lined up on a bit of straight road and drove past, it was quite dangerous following them as I was almost waiting for someone to run into the back of me :(

The driving abilities of people in the UK is very poor, now made even worse from epidemic of people using mobile phones while driving!  Glad you got back safe

On 18 September 2018 at 1:53 PM, Saxosim said:

After a great weekend on the borders run my fuel pump failed whilst still in Moffat just as I was about leave to head home to Newcastle Upon Tyne.  I got recovered home on a flat bed truck which was fortunately covered through my breakdown cover.  These things happen it was a shame not to get to drive home ?

Got a call today from the garage confirming it is the fuel pump that was at fault which is great and they have a new one which is also great. Very reasonably priced too which was welxome news.  The downside though is that the fuel sender unit as well as the old fuel pump have had signs of being worked on before and potentially bodged to repair them as bits were glued up etc and also the gasket seal on the tank where they fit was half in/ half out and not sealing it properly which would explain a slight fuel smell occasionally and also the sender unit arm itself with the float attached had been repaired but is bent and can not reach the top of the tank which would also explain why the fuel gauge reading would never go above just over 3/4 even when the tank was brimmed full.  To say I am fuming ? is an understatement that someone could do this to a Porsche without just sorting it properly and it will cost me another £200 in parts and additional labour.  On the bright side though at least it will be fixed although not until Thursday now once the parts arrive from Porsche as you can’t buy the sender aftermarket and it will also sort the fuel smell and gauge reading out at the same time which were jobs on my list to get looked at.  Will be pleased to hopefully get it back on Thursday 

Simon that's interesting to know, explains why I could never get the gauge right, all those pointless hours I spent removing the cluster in and out ,in and out, in and out, replaced gauge, still no joy.They did a recall years ago and did something with the sender unit, wonder if the damage was done then?

7 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Simon that's interesting to know, explains why I could never get the gauge right, all those pointless hours I spent removing the cluster in and out ,in and out, in and out, replaced gauge, still no joy.They did a recall years ago and did something with the sender unit, wonder if the damage was done then?

Thanks Mick yes it was really bent out of shape and had been worked on.  I am yet to refil the tank but when I do I think it should be reading full.  It has also sorted the slight smell of fuel which occasionally appeared due to the seal not been fitted properly so it has been an expensive exercise but at least it is repaired now and has fixed 2 other niggles off my list too