What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

11 hours ago, MichaelAC said:

Today I removed the glue outline to an old tax disc holder that must have been on the screen once, the last owner left it on before I bought the car last Sunday - That sort of thing really bugs me...

Next job is to clear the MOT advisory list!

@MichaelAC introduce yourself properly in the Newbie Lounge! (and be prepared to display photos of the car somewhere - ideally hosted on imgur or similar, there is no space here to upload)

Nothing to the box as such but installed some LED light panels in the garage so I can see what the hell I'm doing in there. The modern ones give out a huge amount of light and the garage is transformed with them on. Thinking about how to put some in the floor so I can see what I'm doing under the car ?

8 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

Nothing to the box as such but installed some LED light panels in the garage so I can see what the hell I'm doing in there. The modern ones give out a huge amount of light and the garage is transformed with them on. Thinking about how to put some in the floor so I can see what I'm doing under the car ?

What lights did you go for?  I am looking for some extra lighting to add to my garage too

10 hours ago, Sussexlad said:

ZkCR089.png

12 hours ago, Saxosim said:

What lights did you go for?  I am looking for some extra lighting to add to my garage too

I chose the 600 x 600 panels from Toolstation. They are supposed to last an average 35k hours which is nearly 4 years continuous.

At 2800lm they are equivalent to about 180W of incandescent. I have two so far and will put in two more on the other side of the garage. That should be enough!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sussexlad said:

I chose the 600 x 600 panels from Toolstation. They are supposed to last an average 35k hours which is nearly 4 years continuous.

At 2800lm they are equivalent to about 180W of incandescent. I have two so far and will put in two more on the other side of the garage. That should be enough!

Can these just be wired in in place of a regular fluorescent tube? Was thinking about sticking a couple of these in my kitchen and garage. 

1 hour ago, edc said:

Can these just be wired in in place of a regular fluorescent tube? Was thinking about sticking a couple of these in my kitchen and garage. 

Pretty much. The 600mm square means they mount between standard joist gaps. In my garage they are offset from the centre of the door where the original light fitting sits.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/141566450@N08/44894674181/in/dateposted-public/

They don't appear as bright in the picture as the camera is compensating for the brightness.

Cool. I've seen the suspended panels you can get so would just mount one of those to my garage ceiling which is fully flat plasterboarded. Crank up the lumen output and jobs a good un.

Sadly one was a women who thought the car was"cute"...that really hurt !

That is painfull ? Do you put winter tyres on too. I imagine they are a must but maybe I'm wrong. A lot of the scandinavian owners just put there Boxsters away come winter I believe.

I have all season tyres on the car.  Not much need for winter tyres here in the Seattle area as we seldom get much if any snow.  I use the Boxster as a daily driver.  If we do get snow I have an AWD Audi to fall back on.

7 hours ago, ed80 said:

Got a new hood fitted with a glass window at BAS in Cwmbran. Ordered more parts for the rear axle overhaul (bearings, brake discs, and pads).

Hi ed80 I'm in the market myself for a new hood with glass window, my original plastic window went bang when I tried to fold it tonight.  Mine was the original, opaque and slightly cold at the time, shame really as the hood itself is in good knick even if the metropole blue had faded a bit and has slight creasing. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the BAS new hood?

1 hour ago, Clivescoobydo said:

Hi ed80 I'm in the market myself for a new hood with glass window, my original plastic window went bang when I tried to fold it tonight.  Mine was the original, opaque and slightly cold at the time, shame really as the hood itself is in good knick even if the metropole blue had faded a bit and has slight creasing. If you don't mind me asking how much did you pay for the BAS new hood?

Did you not see @Patt roof on his old 986 at Blackbushe? That was from Carhoodwarehouse circa £600. 

11 hours ago, edc said:

Did you not see @Patt roof on his old 986 at Blackbushe? That was from Carhoodwarehouse circa £600. 

I did but on the CHW one the glass window looks a little 'letter box' in shape to me.  The BAS one looks to retain the window more like the original and the K Baggs one that @Bike Loon posted looked very good quality and the window looks bigger.  As CHW are not doing any discount £695 for members I thought I'd shop around.  

Today, I cleaned and got the polish out to polish her for the first time. Its a great way to get to know your car, I think. I spot every little blemish and then I know the car and the little blemishes then irritate me.........

I also, changed the side light bulbs for the brightest Led ones I know. They don't glare, as side lights, but they do give out a good level of light and because of the way the lens works on the Boxster and the positioning of the bulb by the headlight, it also whitens the headlight up a little too. This is the first car I've had for a long time without Xenons so this was a must because I don't want to go down the route of some crappy headlight conversion that looks blue, nobody wants that.

It's the little things......

Took it to Spa - it rained.  

Car got "out of shape" in most of the corners over the course of the day.  

Asked for some advice: altered my damper settings and tried some different lines.  

Much better but the exit from Eau Rouge heading up the hill was still horrible - like 40mph slower than dry horrible.

The whole circuit had to be "driven on your finger tips" to quote one of the other guys on the trip.

A 996 GT3 left the circuit at Eau Rouge, properly wacking three corners of the car before coming to a stop ? - as far as I know the driver wasn't physically harmed, the car on the other hand was a very sorry sight.

Short iPhone clip - just to prove I was there and that it really was wet:

Edited by map
sorting video embedding layout/problems
  • Like 2

Fitted a Porsche short-shifter I picked up off ebay. It needs some minor adjustment still, but it's a HUGE improvement and I'm really pleased I did it. The change feels much more mechanical and precise.

IMG_5764.JPG

3 hours ago, zimmerman said:

Fitted a Porsche short-shifter I picked up off ebay. It needs some minor adjustment still, but it's a HUGE improvement and I'm really pleased I did it. The change feels much more mechanical and precise.

IMG_5764.JPG

Totally agree, a must have modification in my opinion.