What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 7/25/2019 at 3:49 PM, NicGun said:

@Barryn Any chance you can post a simple, step by step how to and the speakers etc used? - would be super helpful as I've got a Bose sub shelf to gut and install into my 986S running factory CDR22 - here's hoping 🤞

Hello NicGun

Here are some images to get you going.

The front Speakers are SPG-10C2, follow the how to below, for fitting.

A Dremel will be handy as will a good glue gun, to bond them in.

You need these connectors to swap from the Porsche wiring loom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inex-Volkswagen-Speaker-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B07MCRLPTC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Speaker+adapter+fits+Volkswagen&m=A3FXMOLS7DZ6TX&qid=1564172836&s=merchant-items&sr=1-3

48382461502_b4517b5517_b.jpg

Rear speaker with crossover.

48068851371_5df93c9b28_b.jpg

This is the Becker I fitted, had it stashed in the loft, the previous head unit was probably killed by the incorrect fitting of the Bose and its low impedance (2.5 ohms)

48382319011_443e1e8668_b.jpg

Remove multiple Torx screws

48382461402_3d71898372_b.jpg

Strip out all the original speakers and wires.

48382461412_607d14dfeb_b.jpg

Remove the core of the speaker (Dremel) as you reuse the outer section.

48382319116_b91f33be2d_b.jpg

Rewire with fresh speaker wire.

48382461522_d12d73b24a_b.jpg

Rear wool lining to help with sound quality.

The loom adapter.

43E5D6F5-F7CF-40ED-9EB3-8CE68580BCD3.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Barryn said:

Hello NicGun

Here are some images to get you going.

The front Speakers are SPG-10C2, follow the how to below, for fitting.

A Dremel will be handy as will a good glue gun, to bond them in.

You need these connectors to swap from the Porsche wiring loom.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inex-Volkswagen-Speaker-Adaptor-Connector/dp/B07MCRLPTC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Speaker+adapter+fits+Volkswagen&m=A3FXMOLS7DZ6TX&qid=1564172836&s=merchant-items&sr=1-3

48382461502_b4517b5517_b.jpg

Rear speaker with crossover.

48068851371_5df93c9b28_b.jpg

This is the Becker I fitted, had it stashed in the loft, the previous head unit was probably killed by the incorrect fitting of the Bose and its low impedance (2.5 ohms)

48382319011_443e1e8668_b.jpg

Remove multiple Torx screws

48382461402_3d71898372_b.jpg

Strip out all the original speakers and wires.

48382461412_607d14dfeb_b.jpg

Remove the core of the speaker (Dremel) as you reuse the outer section.

48382319116_b91f33be2d_b.jpg

Rewire with fresh speaker wire.

48382461522_d12d73b24a_b.jpg

Rear wool lining to help with sound quality.

The loom adapter.

43E5D6F5-F7CF-40ED-9EB3-8CE68580BCD3.jpeg

@Barryn Thanks a million, gives me another little project to sort over the summer, one last question did you route the rear speaker cables either side of the seats or centrally through console?

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 5:04 PM, ½cwt said:

Also started front speaker upgrade with plan to add speakers to the engine cover storage too, but having taken the original dash speaker out I have decided to get slightly larger speakers for the front rather than using the same all round so ordered up a pair of Pioneer TS1002i to go with the pair of TS-875 that will now go in the back only.  Aiming to fit without cutting up the original speaker holder which seem to be the way most on line 'how tos' approach it.  I'll let you know if it works...

OK so I had to cut the OE speakers to make a support frame for the TS 1002i speakers.  Carefully ground back the 4 fixing lugs so they sat tightly in the original speaker rim and epoxy bonded into place.  Also the cover/grille traps the speaker in place.

Made the speaker mounting panels from hardboard and ran the wiring loom into the back storage box for the rear speaker addition including a connector to allow the box to be removed for engine access.  Now to run the speaker cables through the car and add the pins the ISO connector into the back of my Kenwood head unit. Hopefully will complete for next weekend.

I'm sure the original Bose was run in series - hence only 3 wires on the release plug.

Have you totally re-wired your car?

Else you only need 1 crossover and a lot les witing.

On 7/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, ½cwt said:

OK so I had to cut the OE speakers to make a support frame for the TS 1002i speakers.  Carefully ground back the 4 fixing lugs so they sat tightly in the original speaker rim and epoxy bonded into place.  Also the cover/grille traps the speaker in place.

Made the speaker mounting panels from hardboard and ran the wiring loom into the back storage box for the rear speaker addition including a connector to allow the box to be removed for engine access.  Now to run the speaker cables through the car and add the pins the ISO connector into the back of my Kenwood head unit. Hopefully will complete for next weekend.

Finished fitting the rear shelf and wiring in the speakers.  Added pins to the standard Porsche ISO connector to connect up the rear speakers as the car only had dash speakers to start with.  4 way sound now!  Just need the drivers side grille so might have to got to OPC with will be the second most expensive part after the head unit.  Both pairs of speakers together came in cheaper than the grille price! Got left side from salvage.

Sound is certainly and worthwhile improvement judging by my 25 mile journey this morning, just need to get roof down and try it our with all the wind noise around too.

Finally got round to taking a look at why I've never had interior/vanity lights since I bought the car last year.  With must helpful input for @Richard Hamilton I ran through the wiring node a found only 0.3 to 0.4v at the BS7 node; not good when it should be 12v...

So dived under the passenger seat (ordinary 6 or 12 point 10mm socket will remove the seat bolts by the way), popped the alarm module out, took off the cover and there we have it corrosion on the circuit board from water damage particularly on connector II, pin 4 of which is the supply to BS7, and a confirmed 0.3 to 0.4v from the relevant terminal.

Ho hum...  I can live with out interior and vanity lights, just a bit inconvenient on dark nights, and as long as I keep it dry it could well out last other major parts of the car.  However has anyone out there got any info on repair options or the actual costs of making good on this issue?

One hack I though of is patching in a 12 volt supply from elsewhere into BS7 thus bypassing that output from the alarm module.  Anyone got any thought on this?

On 8/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, ½cwt said:

Sound is certainly and worthwhile improvement judging by my 25 mile journey this morning, just need to get roof down and try it our with all the wind noise around too.

Sound with hood down is a major improvement with the speakers in the back being only inches from your ears and the better sound field of new two way speakers both front, and now in the back too, adds depth that wasn't there before.  I reckon it is a well worth while upgrade.  Thanks to @John2000 for his input into this for me.

23 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Sound with hood down is a major improvement with the speakers in the back being only inches from your ears and the better sound field of new two way speakers both front, and now in the back too, adds depth that wasn't there before.  I reckon it is a well worth while upgrade.  Thanks to @John2000 for his input into this for me.

Well done, I totally agree even for an old f##t like me being totally deaf in my right ear the difference is amazing.

Still enjoying the cruise control and you where a much bigger help with that than I was with the rear speakers.

I drove it and cursed my failure to sort the throttle sensor thingymajig. 

And by failure to sort I mean failing to even order replacement sensors. 

🤦‍♂️

That said got a fair few bimbly miles in with a 996 of this parish.

Now know I have to back off the damping for B road potters. Too harsh on the slow stuff but sublime once there’s a bit of momentum....

Also need to find a way to reduce the width of my car. 

Today I winked at my 86 after spending the morning and early afternoon bathing in waves of @rse end torque and sublime pointiness courtesy of the 96. 

I discovered just how “narrow” the narrow bodied 911s are😱

turns out the 86, has become, dare I say it? A Garage Queen😳

Bambi and Thumper

So today have done; 

fitted my new number plates, washed,dried, clay barred entire car with meguiars ultimate, waxed with meguiars ultimate paste wax.

few pics to show shine , not bad for 18 year old paint. Next up is flat bottom steering wheel from jack at royal steering wheels in alcantar and perforated leather similar to pic below.

5AE13E9F-2AA5-4CB0-8D1C-5FD56AF06303.jpeg

B325036A-23EF-4846-91E8-16C04DD3708C.jpeg

4DAA6E27-4C6C-4189-BB4D-51D36F07ACDD.jpeg

8517D3AD-3FDB-46F5-9646-1950DE423D17.jpeg

5F4CC518-D569-47F1-86F4-963AA68AF12C.jpeg

Edited by Stevew66

9 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I replaced the cigarette lighter. My Bluetooth adapter now works in Blue. 

Did you replace the housing and the surround light? I've seen a couple of posts here and there explaining how to upgrade to a normal size socket using a 997 unit. I'm considering doing this too but don't want to buy the wrong parts etc. What did you use?

18 hours ago, Stevew66 said:

not sure of how to start a new thread, will try but unsure of what to call it. Yes that is my lovely lady( not the car lol).

Go to Running Reports sub-forum to display a list of the threads there,

http://www.BoXa.net/forum/forum/46-running-reports/

then top right press the green button "start new topic".

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ed80 said:

Replaced brake pads all round. Most of the time was spent hammering the seized pins out of the caliper. Is there anything on a Porsche that doesn't require giant hammers to remove?

Porsche does seem to like mixing steel and aluminium with predictable results. I had to cut out all four drop links, rear coffin arms and toe adjusters when I replaced my suspension recently😩