What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

48 minutes ago, some bloke said:

Funny how so many hours of labour can be distilled into those few words.

I've had a few bosses over the years who think it only takes as long to do something as it takes them to request it in a few words.

Hi

Thought I had finalllyyyyy finished refilling the Tiptronic gearbox after at least 8 litres of fluid, but no.

I kept thinking it was full, but then on recheck it would take more. This happened like 4 times! Was driving me nuts.

So now its full for sure. However, the filler plug is dripping. Ugh.

Yes, I did use a new green O ring, but also its been done up and undone a few times. Tomorrow will give it a smear of RTV when I do it up again. The gearbox sump is no stranger to that already so a bit more will not do any further harm.

Berni

5 minutes ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Handling any better? The extra width would make a difference in my man maths

Haven’t driven it yet. It started to rain 🙄

According to 986forum yes, adds some extra track and makes it feel more planted. They say you get a little extra scrub but nothing notable

25 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Are the wheels a standard offset? I think they look pretty close. Apologies, but I think the car look so much better without the spacers.

Berni

Yes they are, 18” Carreras I believe! I think they look a bit lost in the arches as standard. 
I’ll try and get a better photo in the coming days!

No need to apologise, each to their own 👍🏼😋 

3 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Handling any better? The extra width would make a difference in my man maths

Either no noticeable difference or negative comments from what I've seen on this forum.  Someone did some awesome math on a thread here proving it was not good for geometry to use spacers. Porsche made it that way for a reason, I guess?

10 minutes ago, GmanB said:

Either no noticeable difference or negative comments from what I've seen on this forum.  Someone did some awesome math on a thread here proving it was not good for geometry to use spacers. Porsche made it that way for a reason, I guess?

In the same way they spec standard spacers on the 550 and various GT3s ... 

There must be some wonky maths on a spacers and geometry calculation as you can achieve the same result with different off set wheels.

20 minutes ago, edc said:

In the same way they spec standard spacers on the 550 and various GT3s ... 

There must be some wonky maths on a spacers and geometry calculation as you can achieve the same result with different off set wheels.

Probably after market spacers in most cases. I'll try dig out the math thread when I get some time. Not the greatest of search facilities on here.

These are standard factory fitted spacers for 550 and GT3. Nothing wrong with the geometry on them. 

Whilst I cannot comprehend the mathematics but “get” the effect I understand that spacers do affect the Scrub Radius for a given suspension design - excess spacing will seriously c*ck it up. 

As I understand it spacers under acceleration/braking loads will essentially alter toe in/toe out - depending on suspension design. 

**If I’ve got this explanation materially wrong please do correct it**

Given toe settings will change the way a car handles the perceived benefit of spacers is possibly equally deliverable with a geo configured accordingly. 

As toe settings are measured in very, very, very little bits of something or other I can imagine a 10mm spacer (for example) could have a dramatic effect on perceived handling. 

For the record I run 5mm spacers all round for track wheel clearance reasons and my geometry has been dialled in accordingly. 

• Like 1

Looks vs geometry.

Geometry - I don't know if it was my references to suspension and track some months ago. However if you widen the track with spacers or wheel offset you move the contact patch of the tyre, the effective distance at which the forces act, so you do slightly reduce the roll stiffness and the effective applied load.  At the front you also move the contact patch further from the centre of the virtual castor pivot which will add a little more scrub.  The effects of all of this can also be generated by different wheel offsets, I don't know what the 550 and GT3 are fitted with vs the 'standard' cars but I'd be pretty sure Porsche didn't do something to compromise them.....  Wider track would often go with a stiffer ARB and possibly increased spring rate to counter the longer effective distance.  That said in a road tuned car for the vast majority of drivers it would be undetectable as you are not consistently near the limit as you may be in a track focused car on a circuit.  There are quite small margins here.

Looks - Great unless you go too far and there is a personal view on this, I like wheels slightly in the wheel arch but as much as standard, others like a flush look.

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

An opinion shared. 

50000091623_f5bebc25b3_c.jpg

and practiced (though with wider wheels instead of spacers)

Hi, what width are these vs standard? The tyres must be wider also no?  Does the front have wider wheels/tyres also?

Berni

32 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi, what width are these vs standard? The tyres must be wider also no?  Does the front have wider wheels/tyres also?

Berni

295 rears and 235 fronts

11j and 9 j respectively