What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

17 hours ago, ½cwt said:

I'm going through one of those phases with mine too.  Fortunately I did the front and rear struts last year before other thing started failing...

It was my first job on the car, I’m glad I started with such an easy, and relatively cheap one. I actually have to push the boot down now rather than let it fall under its own steam!

Hi

Put the rear braces on the car, torqued up some bolts front and rear, then fitted a new window regulator. Will adjust the window tomorrow. Also fitted replacement wheel bolts. Ordered a console delete kit :).

Berni 

4 hours ago, Dazzevans said:

It was my first job on the car, I’m glad I started with such an easy, and relatively cheap one. I actually have to push the boot down now rather than let it fall under its own steam!

Nice when the bonnet rises under its own 'power' too once you've lifted it the first few inches.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluepork03 said:

Thanks Matthew. It took longer than I'd have liked as the top nuts were seized and had to be persuaded loose with a cutting disc.

I'm hoping the rears don't put up as much of a fight. Wishful thinking? 🙄

Top nuts are tough, but they are distorted not round like K nuts so they don't come lose.  Took a 450Nm impact wrench and tightly clamped grips on the top of the damper piston to get mine off, and then on again to the correct torque even after copious Plusgas and freeze release cycles.

12 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Nice when the bonnet rises under its own 'power' too once you've lifted it the first few inches.

I changed the bonnet struts on a mates 987 recently ,because whilst working on it , bloody thing crashed down took a chunk out of my scalp and had to sit down for a bit!!! Oh! how we laughed!!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, bally4563 said:

I changed the bonnet struts on a mates 987 recently ,because whilst working on it , bloody thing crashed down took a chunk out of my scalp and had to sit down for a bit!!! Oh! how we laughed!!

I guess him more than you...😂

6 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Top nuts are tough, but they are distorted not round like K nuts so they don't come lose.  Took a 450Nm impact wrench and tightly clamped grips on the top of the damper piston to get mine off, and then on again to the correct torque even after copious Plusgas and freeze release cycles.

I don't have a impact wrench if they are that hard I might let Lee sort them for me🔧

Hi

Adjusted the new window regulator,  but its not perfect yet, and did stage 1 of the home geo. String and Gunsons camber Gauge. Will check things with my trusty Trackrite tomorrow.

Berni

8 hours ago, John2000 said:

I don't have a impact wrench if they are that hard I might let Lee sort them for me🔧

Probably a good call.... I actually bought an uprated impact wrench just for the job which offsets an hour or so labour coasts.

Took mine for a solo spin this evening and noticed something nice.  When I did my alternator replacement a couple of weeks ago I used Gummi Pflege on the top cover and bulkhead cover seals to the engine bay when I refitted them.  This has eliminated some background noise in the way of minor squeaks and rattles.  Worth doing when you do other seals too.

Hi

Finished up adjusting the passenger side regulator and put the door back together. Also stripped out the boot fitted rear parking sensors (one of those tripple ones integrated into a number plate holder) and put back together along with the bumper and new numberplate. And relocated the frunk emergency release to the front tow hook.

Will be back on the road tomorrow I hope!

Berni

On 6/21/2020 at 9:51 AM, bally4563 said:

What make did you go for, Bally? There are so many different ones out there.

31 minutes ago, Dazzevans said:

What make did you go for, Bally? There are so many different ones out there.

I didn't buy them, my mate got them and for his DB8 as well, company Leicester way, I think, will ask him and report back

• Like 1

Hi

Made up and fitted a new hood rope, fitted spoiler, put rear carpets back in, tightened up a few bolts, got steering wheel totally straight, checked toe settings with trackrite, fitted front numberplate, drove car!

By the way, these are the rear parking sensors integrated into the numberplate holder. Or at least it would be a picture of, but I have used up all of my quota. 

Berni

Edited by Berni29

9 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

Changed the AOS - the smoke disappeared.

Testing better tomorrow on highway, but so far the install of the OE part looks real good.

Took probably 20 minutes to remove the old adn juts about same time to instal the new one - not so bad for first timer :)

You make it sound easy. So many report it as a pig of a job especially removing and re-attaching one particular hose. Is there a trick to it?

28 minutes ago, pacificjuha said:

Changed the AOS - the smoke disappeared.

Testing better tomorrow on highway, but so far the install of the OE part looks real good.

Took probably 20 minutes to remove the old adn juts about same time to instal the new one - not so bad for first timer :)

20mins!! It takes me that long to support the car and get the engine cover off!

I'm assuming yours is a later model that bolts on to the top and not the earlier style that bolts to the side of the block. I'm a reasonably competent diy mechanic and it still took me several hours fumbling through the rear wheel  well with limited access. 

Edited by jonogt6