What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

2 minutes ago, some bloke said:

I fitted new frunk gas struts as the old ones didn't really work until the bonnet was right up to the top. Now the lifts itself from about halfway.

Can anybody tell me if the rears struts on a 986 pop the boot lid up themselves when new? You know, when you unlock it with the keyfob.

Literally just pops.  It doesn’t lift itself

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Sounds like a corroded sleeve joint between the U bend and the cat perhaps. I failed an MoT on emissions when I had a leak there. Fairly easy to change and you can buy suitable joint on eBay for not too much rather than paying £££ for the OE parts.

Thanks for that, hopefully that is where the fault is as does not sound too bad a job. Will take a closer look when I get the car jacked up. I think mine technically should have failed but the tester liked the 4000rpm lambda figure (never been asked to rev it that much before🤔) and passed it.

Edited by el 3.2S

3 hours ago, some bloke said:

I fitted new frunk gas struts as the old ones didn't really work until the bonnet was right up to the top. Now the lifts itself from about halfway.

Can anybody tell me if the rears struts on a 986 pop the boot lid up themselves when new? You know, when you unlock it with the keyfob.

Alas they do not but like the front the lid pretty much lifts its self once started off a bit.

Finally ordered the 18" tyres for the 18" GT3 lookalike rims I bought about 9 months ago and dropped off the rims with the fitters.  Hopefully I'll have them on the car next week.

Before anyone asks, Dunlop Sport Maxx RT2.

Hi

Fitted LED sidelights (Osram), greased all of my selector components in the hope it affects my Tiptronic glitch, and fixed my aftermarket numberplate surround reversing sensors.

Berni

2 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Great work. You could always swap the seatbacks over to even out wear.

Putting this idea on the to do list, thanks.

Took off front PU to fit two new horn units (OE), I knew one had failed but got a very weedy toot the other day and then nothing.  Now she has a voice again!

Also fitted the polystyrene filler in front of the crash structure beam which I had noticed was missing on mine and would probably have avoided the PO splitting the bumper paint when he nudged something.  Made the PU a lot harder to refit!  Also where the paint had split it has now peeled.  Temporarily took a rubbing to get the correct profile and applied vinyl I painted up in an almost matched colour.  A much less obtrusive scar until I get the PU repainted.

Also opened the front of the engine bay to check the newly installed alternator and poly V belt were OK now they've done a few miles.

On 7/15/2020 at 7:44 PM, el 3.2S said:

Thanks for that, hopefully that is where the fault is as does not sound too bad a job. Will take a closer look when I get the car jacked up. I think mine technically should have failed but the tester liked the 4000rpm lambda figure (never been asked to rev it that much before🤔) and passed it.

I'm a little late to the party but I can, from my experience, confirm that an exhaust leak (even a small one) will adversely affect the lambda reading. My only MoT failure was on emissions. Although I had replaced all the exhaust clamps and sleeves I had not used any exhaust paste. Remaking the joints with paste solved the problem and got the car a pass.

28 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

Great work. You could always swap the seatbacks over to even out wear.

What dye did you use? By coincidence a friend gave me a litre of Gliptone dark blue leather dye today.

Berni

A friend gave me some 'Furniture Clinic - Self Seal Colourant' and suggested I give it go so I figured it was worth a shot. It was pretty easy to use and I'm very pleased with the result 🙂

1 hour ago, Stewart_H said:

A friend gave me some 'Furniture Clinic - Self Seal Colourant' and suggested I give it go so I figured it was worth a shot. It was pretty easy to use and I'm very pleased with the result 🙂

Did he give you any additional sealer?  I did an armchair with the same stuff, but it needed sealed and finished after the dye coats.  It’d be interesting to see how the self-seal stuff lasts on a high-traffic area

Edited by KevM79

1 hour ago, KevM79 said:

Did he give you any additional sealer?  I did an armchair with the same stuff, but it needed sealed and finished after the dye coats.  It’d be interesting to see how the self-seal stuff lasts on a high-traffic area

No additional sealer was used. I'm happy to wait and see how well it lasts as it was really easy to use and has smartened it up 🙂

7 hours ago, Stewart_H said:

No additional sealer was used. I'm happy to wait and see how well it lasts as it was really easy to use and has smartened it up 🙂

Automotive finishes usually have sealers with UV filters in them to stop colour fade and other deterioration that internal furniture is not exposed to..

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Automotive finishes usually have sealers with UV filters in them to stop colour fade and other deterioration that internal furniture is not exposed 

Any recommendations for a sealer?

Hi

I just bought some "Dodo juice supernatural leather cleaner", and a bottle of their sealer. It was recommended by an OCD car cleaning friend of mine. I have tried the cleaner (use a brush to apply). Its unbelievably good. 

Modern car leathers are already sealed. So you use it (the sealer) very sparingly. The leather nourishing creams are all a waste of time on such leathers, and just sit on top, make the leather oily and attract dirt. Apparently.

All the best

Berni

Edited by Berni29
  • Like 1