What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

1 hour ago, Stewart_H said:

Any recommendations for a sealer?

Not done any restoration of auto leather but I am aware of the UV protection

25 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I just bought some "Dodo juice supernatural leather cleaner", and a bottle of their sealer. It was recommended by an OCD car cleaning friend of mine. I have tried the cleaner (use a brush to apply). Its unbelievably good. 

Modern car leathers are already sealed. So you use it (the sealer) very sparingly. The leather nourishing creams are all a waste of time on such leathers, and just sit on top, make the leather oily and attract dirt. Apparently.

All the best

Berni

The leather is sealed when manufactured but once cracked, any restoration needs to cover at least these areas so they are effective long term.  You should only use automotive leather cleaners that are formulated to clean automotive leather as others may have either effect or side effects.

Going to look up Dodo Juice.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, stevemag said:

A blast over one of the best local "B" roads, Staylittle to Machynlleth over the mountains and moorlands 

110603535_3481993621813235_5977443447752

Not envious at all  

• Like 1

Finally get rid of the very annoying double beep issue on my car. Have inspected just about all microswitches on the doors and arm rest lid - opened up the lock mechanisms on both doors and trying to sort the issue also on mechanical wear items there... no lock in over a month.

Issue was a bad connection on the rigth side door wiring harness to door lock mechanism. Cleaned it well with electrnic cleaner and lightly sanded the contact points. Problem solved :)

I also ordered a new wire harness connector to be installed there probably during next winter.

2 hours ago, Cheddar Bob said:

Wales was gorgeous today. Headed over the black mountains. My fellow countrymen have ruined it with a crappy 40mph limit.....

GAz6MIA.jpg

2VXyVv6.jpg

Z0AqMaC.jpg

Even more not envious at all..... 😠

5 hours ago, KevM79 said:

Replaced a torn wiper & then took the Mrs for a drive round the coast & through the Mourne mountains in it! 

All about the mountains.... 😁

7 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Even more not envious at all..... 😠

A4069
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uB5Yq454tmTGfsxt7

🙈

I Fixed the headlights...

The (HID) headlights on my 2004 Boxster S stopped working, so a quick scan of the emanuel confirmed that only the switch was common, and a quick scan of tinternet confirmed that the switch can be a bit suspect. Plenty of online videos about replacing it but one said that the (hollow) shaft went right into the switch that that squirting in some cleaner/light lube and roddling it about a bit might fix it. So I removed the switch, squirted it, and roddled it for a few minutes and - lo and behold - it now works. Only regret is that I took it out completely which wasn't necessary...

So in summary:  If yours headlights stop working (both of them) try removing the knob, squirt maintenance spray down the hollow shaft (be careful of overspray, blowback and dribbles) and roddle it back and forth for a while. Mine took a good five minutes of vigorous roddling to get it working.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 9:03 PM, Berni29 said:

Hi

I made a smoke machine and found my air leak today :). I just hope it stays fixed!

Berni

Do you have any more details on this?  I tried a while back using the soldering iron and jam jar technique, but my iron heated up the metal lid and it all fell apart.  I'd also be interested where you tapped into the vacuum system?  I'm tempted to have another go

Finally got my new 18" wheels on the car with new Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2 tyres. 😁

oKFBKyl.jpg

Just got to decide which wheel centres to fit, my old faded crest or RS.

WfBqOQ7.jpg 

2 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Finally got my new 18" wheels on the car with new Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2 tyres. 😁

oKFBKyl.jpg

WfBqOQ7.jpg 

Be interested to hear what you think of the Dunlops once you have a few miles on them. 

Don't think I can put up with the racket from these Eagle F1's for much longer. 

Just now, PaulQ said:

Be interested to hear what you think of the Dunlops once you have a few miles on them. 

Don't think I can put up with the racket from these Eagle F1's for much longer. 

Interesting, the 17"s I took off had GY Aymetric 5 on front.  I partly chose the Dunlops because they are A wet, C fuel and 68 dB front size and 70dB rear size compared to GY Asym 5 at 71dB for both sizes.  There are others (Pirelli, Bridgestone, Yoko, Uniroyal) that are worse than both of these.  A factor worth considering on a convertible with less sound deadening than a normal car particularly with the roof down.

6 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Interesting, the 17"s I took off had GY Aymetric 5 on front.  I partly chose the Dunlops because they are A wet, C fuel and 68 dB front size and 70dB rear size compared to GY Asym 5 at 71dB for both sizes.  There are others (Pirelli, Bridgestone, Yoko, Uniroyal) that are worse than both of these.  A factor worth considering on a convertible with less sound deadening than a normal car particularly with the roof down.

I'm starting to think the ones I have might be faulty in some way.... no idea what would cause this, though there are a few reports of them being noisy on tire reviews for other cars. 

Might just get some PS4's as have these on the front and they are fine, but could do without spending more money, plus the mot is due in a couple of weeks. 

It's spoiling my enjoyment of the car, especially with the roof down where it's even more noticeable. 

14 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I'm starting to think the ones I have might be faulty in some way.... no idea what would cause this, though there are a few reports of them being noisy on tire reviews for other cars. 

Might just get some PS4's as have these on the front and they are fine, but could do without spending more money, plus the mot is due in a couple of weeks. 

It's spoiling my enjoyment of the car, especially with the roof down where it's even more noticeable. 

Just taken mine for a spin and bearing in mind that the GYs are just over a year old with less than 6k miles on them so hardly worn, the Dunlops do seem more refined already even given that they are bedding in so should smooth out a bit more over a couple of hundred miles or so.  Removing the two year old half worn Nankangs the PO had fitted to the rear to get through an MOT might have helped too...

6 hours ago, mvw said:

Do you have any more details on this?  I tried a while back using the soldering iron and jam jar technique, but my iron heated up the metal lid and it all fell apart.  I'd also be interested where you tapped into the vacuum system?  I'm tempted to have another go

Hi

I had the perfect jar and then dropped it during construction, so ended up using a smaller one with a quite powerful mattress pump. I just watched a few videos and versions then cobbled together using what I had. I did use baby oil and some cotton tshirt for the "bath" at the bottom of the jar.

I wanted to cover the whole system post MAF so I disconnected the pipe from the airbox and MAF, covered the end of the pipe with a rubber glove and pumped air in via the MAF hole. I also pumped smoke in via some easily accessible pipes after also just to make sure I had the whole system covered. I not only discovered my leak but also a blockage (where the SAI check valve plugs in) because smoke should have come out but did not!

My pump was a bit too powerful but I just pulsed it to push smoke around the system. Really you want either 2 people or a powered air supply so you can concentrate on looking for smoke.

All the best

Berni

14 hours ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

I had the perfect jar and then dropped it during construction, so ended up using a smaller one with a quite powerful mattress pump. I just watched a few videos and versions then cobbled together using what I had. I did use baby oil and some cotton tshirt for the "bath" at the bottom of the jar.

I wanted to cover the whole system post MAF so I disconnected the pipe from the airbox and MAF, covered the end of the pipe with a rubber glove and pumped air in via the MAF hole. I also pumped smoke in via some easily accessible pipes after also just to make sure I had the whole system covered. I not only discovered my leak but also a blockage (where the SAI check valve plugs in) because smoke should have come out but did not!

My pump was a bit too powerful but I just pulsed it to push smoke around the system. Really you want either 2 people or a powered air supply so you can concentrate on looking for smoke.

All the best

Berni

Thanks Berni,

I'll try the rubber glove tip and will give it another go.

Thanks
Lee

22 hours ago, ½cwt said:

WfBqOQ7.jpg 

Tried fitting the crests, but was breaking a clip each time I tried as the lip seem slightly deeper on these rims than the original 17" rims.  Went for RS centres to avoid destroying the originals.

Off to France via mother-in-law's in Kent tomorrow so did a full wash and leather off, brushed, vac'd and used Auto Glym cabrio cleaner and protector on the roof.  Vac'd the interior, checked tyre pressures and took it for a Geocare check at KF as I fitted my new wheels and new tyres in the week.  Also put together my emergency toolkit (see another thread on this) that I will hopefully just unpack again in10 days time.

Have found one fault, the electric adjust on the driver's seat back seems to have failed.  Anyone else experienced this?