What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Not having much luck are you. Check boot under carpet before fearing the worst. 

Not as bad as a tank full of coolant under the car with evidence of it dripping down from the tank area??  I haven't pulled the carpet but there's no smell of coolant/moisture in there.

Question on tanks, Porsche is about £250, after market ones are about £120 to £150 anyone got experience of the AM ones like Retroline from Design 911??

21 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Bad: Costing up 4 coffin arms, 2 front tuning forks, two rear drop links and two Bilstein B4 rear shocks at about £850.  Anyone got any tips on current good value suspension parts?  Cost here based on reasonable numbers for non Porsche branded parts from D911

Have a similar dilemma as a rear toe control arm bush has failed - not going for new arms partly because of price but mainly because I'm planning a more focused suspension rebuild for 2021.  

My interim step is to replace those bushes with Powerflex components and Porsche's eccentric bolt, washer and nut.  Parts cost is sub £100 covering both sides then labour being whatever it will be.

May be worth looking at this approach rather than all new complete items.

13 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Not as bad as a tank full of coolant under the car with evidence of it dripping down from the tank area??  I haven't pulled the carpet but there's no smell of coolant/moisture in there.

Question on tanks, Porsche is about £250, after market ones are about £120 to £150 anyone got experience of the AM ones like Retroline from Design 911??

sorry to hear this! 

you havnt topped up any water lately have you? only as i did this a few months back as the water level was below min and ever since after a run , the water would come out of the overflow which is on the offside rear next to rear wheel. it did this for 3 or so drives untill it stopped and has been at the level to where i started with ever since and i’ve been on quite a few spirited drives since Too. 

regarding the coffin arms i bought x2from a company in germany that i saw on ebay. seem to be good quality ? but only time tells that one, but liked them as they were from germany and cost me something like £152  i then bought x4 of the appropriot esentric bolts and washers from desighn 911 however i’ve only replaced the nearside rear  and had to change the essentric bolt on the coffin arm again becuase the metal on the bolt got worn whilst i was adjusting the camber like the metal wasn’t hardened properly, everything was loose so couldn’t have done any more to help it not stress it. on inspection it was only just grabbing the essentric washer on the edges of the threads on the new bolt from D 911? could have been a bad bolt couldn’t have been me not loosening things fully?  they say they are original porsche and do look decent but unsure if they are? 

anyhow i was impressed when i went there and picked my bits up and are friendly and the place is impressive with cars inside next to the counter. 

Daniel 

15 minutes ago, Dan944 said:

sorry to hear this! 

you havnt topped up any water lately have you? only as i did this a few months back as the water level was below min and ever since after a run , the water would come out of the overflow which is on the offside rear next to rear wheel. it did this for 3 or so drives untill it stopped and has been at the level to where i started with ever since and i’ve been on quite a few spirited drives since Too. 

No, water level has been steady for about 3 months with not op ups at all through a long run in France in July and also a spirited meet/drive in August so its had a full work out and stayed constant.  Just one of those sinking feeling moments methinks. 

Before anyone says, the cap is an .04 part number...

57 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@PaulQ - apologies re-my statement above, the tank is contained within the boot so any leak has to flood the boot which does not appear to be the case here.  More likely to be a failed hose on the engine side of the fire wall.

Not sure when I can get to look at it and I have the MOT on Saturday...

4 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

@PaulQ - apologies re-my statement above, the tank is contained within the boot so any leak has to flood the boot which does not appear to be the case here.  More likely to be a failed hose on the engine side of the fire wall.

Are you sure the coolant is not exiting from the drain pipe in front of the offside rear wheel.? 

3 hours ago, Patt said:

just found this old email while looking for something else:

Caliper rebuild kits for the 2002 Boxster S can be found here:

The caliper assembly lube is listed here:

Front & rear rebuild kits and assembly lube are in stock and available for same-day shipping.  Simply add the parts you need to your shopping cart, then click "Checkout" and follow the instructions to add your address.  When that's done, the system will display a range of shipping options and associated costs.

Hint:  assembly lube should only be used for the caliper pressure seals.  The dust boots are installed dry.

Also, you need one caliper rebuild kit per caliper.  Each kit contains enough boots and seals to rebuild ONE caliper.

Sincerely,

David Zeckhausen

President, Zeckhausen Racing

(800)222-8893 x1

www.zeckhausen.com   

Very nice! Thank you Patt! Got to order some parts before I open up the brakes👌

On 9/14/2020 at 6:01 PM, pacificjuha said:

Great Freddie! Would be very nice to get the info for the decal kit. Was the paint kit a spary paint or brush on?

Btw, Bcs brush on, I thought it would Probably be SH!te with me doing it but the result looks almost sprayed on its that good, I was amazed.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

No, water level has been steady for about 3 months with not op ups at all through a long run in France in July and also a spirited meet/drive in August so its had a full work out and stayed constant.  Just one of those sinking feeling moments methinks. 

Before anyone says, the cap is an .04 part number...

When was the cap last replaced? My car dumped it's coolant with no sign of coolant in the boot and it turned out to be a failed rad cap. Hope yours is the same. 

2 hours ago, GmanB said:

When was the cap last replaced? My car dumped it's coolant with no sign of coolant in the boot and it turned out to be a failed rad cap. Hope yours is the same. 

Interesting, I'll have to look back in the service record to see if I can find when it was changed, but it must be 2 years old as I haven't replaced it.  Strange it should happen on the same day it was serviced though ?!?

3 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Are you sure the coolant is not exiting from the drain pipe in front of the offside rear wheel.? 

It appears to be coming from higher up and more inboard judging but the pooling on the ground, it is all around the contact patch of the tyre, not the front of the wheel arch, but until I can get under it (looking like Thursday at best) and check properly I'm not certain.

20 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Interesting, I'll have to look back in the service record to see if I can find when it was changed, but it must be 2 years old as I haven't replaced it.  Strange it should happen on the same day it was serviced though ?!?

I had the coolant overflow on my first 986 after a service at OPC for a fixed price. They didn't screw the cap on properly. 

• Thanks 1

Well

After 3yrs I remembered that I have never used the spare key on the boxster 

You know where this is going!

Battery in the key was flat ( not unexpected ) so I took the key and had a new battery fitted......

Alas it's still not working even using the tips on recoding. ......

So now I have three keys, two remote keys and the service key

But only one operating remote key..........

Hey ho the joys of boxster 986 ownership 

12 hours ago, edc said:

I had the coolant overflow on my first 986 after a service at OPC for a fixed price. They didn't screw the cap on properly. 

Thanks. That will be my first check when I get in this afternoon. 

Hi

If you are careful you can buy cheap secondhand suspension parts (coffin arms struts etc) off ebay or from Douglas Valley. With the struts especially important to know the mileage of the car they came off of. I bought a 45k mile set when I did a cheap suspension refresh.

Berni

2 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

Hi

If you are careful you can buy cheap secondhand suspension parts (coffin arms struts etc) off ebay or from Douglas Valley. With the struts especially important to know the mileage of the car they came off of. I bought a 45k mile set when I did a cheap suspension refresh.

Berni

Good call. I see DV have a set or rear struts off an '02 car which will hopefully be lower miles than mine but I'm going to see how the MOT goes before starting to spend money.  If it fails on major suspension bits it will be off the road for a while (may be even for the winter ☹️) whilst I gather bits and do the work.

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

Good call. I see DV have a set or rear struts off an '02 car which will hopefully be lower miles than mine but I'm going to see how the MOT goes before starting to spend money.  If it fails on major suspension bits it will be off the road for a while (may be even for the winter ☹️) whilst I gather bits and do the work.

DV will give you the reg No of the car the parts came off of and then you can look up it's MOT history and check milage etc, just to satisfy yourself.

Best of luck

Berni

48 minutes ago, Berni29 said:

DV will give you the reg No of the car the parts came off of and then you can look up it's MOT history and check mileage etc, just to satisfy yourself.

Best of luck

Berni

Yep, he has! 👍

5 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

Some more alcantara covering. Some of the centre console bits and the dashboard strip above the dials 

gzYeK7ml.jpg?1

AZnER8Pl.jpg 

Also sorted the mesh speaker grills ready for when my adaptor arrives from @SuperPaulie 

sdFrAbal.jpg 

Hi

I have his front adapters, I thought the rears came with grilles? I could be wrong! Did you consider leather for the door pockets, or you just prefer alacantra?

Edited by Berni29