What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

6 hours ago, 999mch said:

Thanks @Boxob I knew it had it's only battery but didn't know it was replaceable. I will have a look at that, although at the moment I am quite happy to know it will not go off and wake the neighbors up !

It's not supposed to have a replaceable battery, its a sealed unit, but people have split it along the seam, replaced the battery (actually a number of button batteries shrink wrapped like a tube of Polos) and resealed the unit. 

• Like 1

Checked tyre pressures and cleared the drain holes front and rear.

A point to note when clearing the drain holes, especially the front, is that there is a valve in the drain hole about 15mm in, I found it was easy to turn this inside out when retracting the drain clearing spring I use, which would of course close the drain hole.

Something to be aware of.

One more thing after fitting the immobilizer and ECU back into position. When I acquired the car, the heated rear window didn’t work, and when I fired it up this afternoon, I thought I would give the button a press and, yes, it works!
it also has reversing sensors, and they work as well. I would never have believed it!

MOT booked for next week after having alignment done so fingers crossed…

• Like 1

Drove it home after picking it up after work from the garage where it received 200 cel cats and a new Dansk sports exhaust, at long last. I had been waiting for this since September when the old exhaust failed and I'd only done 350 miserable life-support miles since then. The new system cost an arm and a leg, not least because four lamda sensors also had to be replaced. I had the roof down and when I put my foot down on the first clear stretch of road I encountered, it put a stupidly wide grin on my face. This spring and summer are going to be glorious. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, phazed said:

One more thing after fitting the immobilizer and ECU back into position. When I acquired the car, the heated rear window didn’t work, and when I fired it up this afternoon, I thought I would give the button a press and, yes, it works!
it also has reversing sensors, and they work as well. I would never have believed it!

MOT booked for next week after having alignment done so fingers crossed…

I would have thought you'd have seen the sensors in the rear bumper given the amount of work you've done recently? 

Also belatedly fitted a Christmas present The Better ½ bought for it.  A 986 with puddle lights!!

(and my 2001 MY door cards with courtesy lights, not normally seen on a 2000 car)

9DHznnB.jpeg 

Lyq4ctw.jpeg 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Also belatedly fitted a Christmas present The Better ½ bought for it.  A 986 with puddle lights!!

(and my 2001 MY door cards with courtesy lights, not normally seen on a 2000 car)

9DHznnB.jpeg 

Lyq4ctw.jpeg 

Batman lights!! Are a must have

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ½cwt said:

9DHznnB.jpeg 

Lyq4ctw.jpeg 

Where did she get them? I fancy these for mine.

They are pretty cheap on eBay, search 'porsche puddle lights'. Can't find and exact match but something very similar for about £11 the pair, and some Velcro 'loop' self adhesive strip for it to grip to the carpet on the lower part of the door card.  The modules have a 'cardon' effect on the ones I have and work with a light sensor and IR range detector so they only come on individually and when the door's open and it is dark.

No idea how long they will last, but a novelty.  If they last more than a year I'll be impressed, but a bit of fun.

18 hours ago, ½cwt said:

9DHznnB.jpeg 

Lyq4ctw.jpeg 

OK, so the Velcro needs a rethink, they fall off too easily.  Relucent to use carpet tape as it will damage the carpet finish.

• Haha 1

Put the carpet back in the boot, replaced the bonnet struts and applied first coat of Renovo hood proofer. Hood actually looks really good for a 22 year old car!

DwIhLSX.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ½cwt said:

OK, so the Velcro needs a rethink, they fall off too easily.  Relucent to use carpet tape as it will damage the carpet finish.

I had some for my previous 987 and they were a complete unit swop over for likey likey  but with Batman light, not sure where I purchased them from but probably the bay of e

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

I had some for my previous 987 and they were a complete unit swop over for likey likey  but with Batman light, not sure where I purchased them from but probably the bay of e

I have some I bought from the bay. Complete swap out. They only lasted about 8 months and no longer project a Batman light. 🤨

52330179034_bce0f2230a_b.jpg

Changed the RMS, IMS flange seal, plugs, coils, oil and oil filter.

Getting pretty comfortable now on removing and installing the transmission...😅 It's still not that fun to do just for a sake of it ;)

Six out of six coils were cracked, but not yet misfires nor CEL. With new coils and plugs the responsiveness of the engine is much better now.

• Like 2

That is proper work on your Boxster!

I had a few cracked coil packs so I thought as it is just the plastic housing that I would repair them with some high temperature epoxy which has worked well. Of course the proof is in the eating of the pudding so I will see in the next week how it performs and if there are any hesitations or misfire, then I will buy new coil packs of course! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phazed said:

That is proper work on your Boxster!

I had a few cracked coil packs so I thought as it is just the plastic housing that I would repair them with some high temperature epoxy which has worked well. Of course the proof is in the eating of the pudding so I will see in the next week how it performs and if there are any hesitations or misfire, then I will buy new coil packs of course! 

As you are using it on track, get a fresh set of BERU ZS178 (OE up issue as supplied to Porsche by Beru) to get that extra zing!  Under £20 each from Autodoc and come with the appropriate bolts so no worries that the heads of the coils are a slightly different shape.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2024 at 5:12 PM, ½cwt said:

I suspect that the wire colours will be the same, so a case of splicing the 986 connectors on to the wiring on the 987 seat.

@Richard Hamilton ?

I hope so. I plan to test the seats with a 12v power source while they're out of the car to make sure I know which wire does what. Hopefully it's just a case of splicing in a few connections and hooking it up to the existing wiring. I know for heated seats you have to wire in a bunch of relays etc but these aren't heated so should be more straightforward..

• 2 weeks later...

Gave car a quick polish on the ramp while my granddaughter was having a nap...

zJZHQ9d.jpg

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phazed said:

Gave car a quick polish on the ramp while my granddaughter was having a nap...

zJZHQ9d.jpg

Looks like you are missing an air temp sensor on the front right grille?  Also if you are going to track it some mesh behind the front grilles will protect the rads from track debris or if you drop it in the gravel.

Hope the colours are due to the lighting...