What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

On 3/16/2024 at 7:03 PM, ½cwt said:

Finally gave it the first wash of the year, polished the glass, started trying to remove marking/mould from the hood around the rear window (I was recommended G101 by Dove House's valeter and not to hold back on agitating it with a fairly stiff brush; it does seem to have shifted it quite well.  Will do another treatment before a clean and proof with the Auto Glym kit) and also applied Gummi Pflege to the door and roof seals.  Might need to buy some more after 5 years.

Hi do you use the Gummi Pflege Rubber Treatment or Rubber Care (or is it same thing) on amazon rubber treatment is around £12 for 500ml and rubber care is £5 for 50 ml 

Thanks

Completed fitting a pair of Lotus Elise seats in my S. more leg and headroom and of course has plenty more lateral support compared to the standard seats. Car will be used predominantly for track days so perfect. Saved over 20kg in weight so a bonus there. Standard seat belts retained for road use.

OPPl9oi.jpeg

DI4naOJ.jpeg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, smit572 said:

Hi do you use the Gummi Pflege Rubber Treatment or Rubber Care (or is it same thing) on amazon rubber treatment is around £12 for 500ml and rubber care is £5 for 50 ml 

Thanks

Most come in a bottle with a shoe polish style sponge applicator on the top. 

14 hours ago, smit572 said:

Thanks

This is the product I've been using.  It looks expensive at a quick glance but I've been using it a couple of times a year both on the 986 and on The Better ½'s Golf cabrio, for about 4 years, so a little goes a long way.

75ml Wurth Rubber Gummi Fit Pflege Care Stick Door Seal Restorer free postage | eBay

14 hours ago, phazed said:

Completed fitting a pair of Lotus Elise seats in my S. more leg and headroom and of course has plenty more lateral support compared to the standard seats. Car will be used predominantly for track days so perfect. Saved over 20kg in weight so a bonus there. Standard seat belts retained for road use.

OPPl9oi.jpeg

DI4naOJ.jpeg

That looks bloody excellent mate. Really enjoying your build progress! Are you joining us at Donny in May? 

42 minutes ago, fizz said:

That looks bloody excellent mate. Really enjoying your build progress! Are you joining us at Donny in May? 

Going to book it up this morning. Hadn’t up to this point because needed to know the car was OK. My only reservation is noise levels. I’m going to try and get to Brands Hatch, which is my nearest track for a proper noise check and if all goes completely t*ts up, I will take my 987!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, phazed said:

Going to book it up this morning. Hadn’t up to this point because needed to know the car was OK. My only reservation is noise levels. I’m going to try and get to Brands Hatch, which is my nearest track for a proper noise check and if all goes completely t*ts up, I will take my 987!

Just seen where you're based and thats a long ole trek to Donny from there. Ive got family in Brighton and Crawley and used to go down quite often and a old car buddy of mine is based in Brighton too and used to own a bright yellow Cerbera with a white circle on it. Sold it now and bought a Sagaris i think. 

2 hours ago, fizz said:

Just seen where you're based and thats a long ole trek to Donny from there. Ive got family in Brighton and Crawley and used to go down quite often and a old car buddy of mine is based in Brighton too and used to own a bright yellow Cerbera with a white circle on it. Sold it now and bought a Sagaris i think. 

I did Donington twice last year. I usually go the evening before, trailer the car up on the back of my motorhome and stay the night in the pits ready to go the next morning. Donington is a great track and in fact, the second time I did it last year was with the TVR club..

Taking my dashboard out again :( The black one I got off eBay doesn't have the attachment points for the speedo binnacle. It seems that whoever took it off the donor car just ripped the speedo binnacle off instead of undoing two T20 screws...

The seller wants pics and then he'll either reimburse me or at least give me something back. I was hoping to just use it as is but it's not really very secure and I'd rather do a proper job. The dashboard airbag he sent is fine so I'll hang onto that. I have already ordered a replacement from Status Porsche and will hopefully have that here by the weekend so I can reinstall before it has to go to MOT on Monday...

2 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

It seems that whoever took it off the donor car just ripped the speedo binnacle off instead of undoing two T20 screws...

You can't use something like

tme_new.png&wat_scale=100p&ci_sign=3f198

Cleaned the rads out today, and fitted an new pair of a/c condensers and drier, now booked in to have it re-gassed, and see if it works, as it hasn't since i purchased the car.  The old condensers had started to disintegrate!

20 hours ago, Iain M said:

Dansk hotdog muffler 😉

What's your opinion on the exhaust . I love mine sounds appears much improved and not to bad on drone -mind you not been on a long motorway drive as yet.

I would be happy to have a standard sound but with a unit half the weight. 
Mrs phazed and I were out in my Toyosports equipped 986 yesterday and it is far too noisy for social use.

Track day with a helmet is acceptable.

On 3/18/2024 at 6:19 PM, phazed said:

OPPl9oi.jpeg

DI4naOJ.jpeg

Look really good...did you need to buy custom rails or modify the Elise rails?

4 hours ago, Meridianmet said:

Cleaned the rads out today, and fitted an new pair of a/c condensers and drier, now booked in to have it re-gassed, and see if it works, as it hasn't since i purchased the car.  The old condensers had started to disintegrate!

At least KwikFit do not charge for regassing if there are still leaks in the system (in old cars the pipes are known to corrode under the car), keep that in mind.

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

At least KwikFit do not charge for regassing if there are still leaks in the system (in old cars the pipes are known to corrode under the car), keep that in mind.

Or get pinched and split where they run near the jacking points on the driver's side.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Randeep said:

Look really good...did you need to buy custom rails or modify the Elise rails?

Thanks. Custom rails from SW Motorsport that have to be modified but no biggie.

https://www.swmotorsports.uk/product/porsche-boxster-986-987-super-low-seat-base-mount-subframe/

• Like 1

19 hours ago, smit572 said:

What's your opinion on the exhaust . I love mine sounds appears much improved and not to bad on drone -mind you not been on a long motorway drive as yet.

Its excellent, loud enough and no drone.  I have tried a chep ebay exhaust which was terrible for drone and also the Chrios mods to a standard backbox.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

"Dansk" get very good reviews on here (I don't know what a hotdog is).

They do an OE style one and a cylindrical one, the latter being the 'hot dog' and quite a bit cheaper.

• Thanks 1

I have the hotdog type, picked up a mint used for £200.  A little droney than standard at certain revs, normally about 60mpg in 5th for me.  Sounds great when you wind it up though!

45 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

I have the hotdog type, picked up a mint used for £200.  A little droney than standard at certain revs, normally about 60mpg in 5th for me.  Sounds great when you wind it up though!

Wow! That's an economical Boxster!!! 🤣