What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

After working on my 986 for a couple of months the struts decided to let go and closed on my head. It was like a scene from Christine!

Far too many four letter words were used! New pair ordered for about £11.00.

• Sad 1

Went for a blast today. All good, handling like on rails, brakes superb, engine settling in nicely. After about 30 miles, engine started missing at about half revs on the rise.

Hoping that is my old repaired, cracked coil packs. New ones on the bench so will probably fit tomorrow and test.

Got the car back from new IMS, flywheel & clutch being fitted, along with 4 wheel alignment, the car now drives really nice, took it for a good run to York & back 90 miles or so just seems much smoother, sharper & clutch is much lighter.

The single row IMS bearing that came out after 72000 miles has no discernible wear to it, the flywheel wasn’t too bad either, but the clutch & release bearing were well furbared. .

Re-did the free flow style exhaust with addittional connection pipe after the backboxes. Also did a bit different hangers to the backboxs section.

Drone mellowed significantly and the idle sound is now deeper. High-rev howl is even a bit more fantastic than before the connection pipe 😇😁

E7lJX3r.jpg

aJbUdLK.jpg

• Like 1

That is interesting. Would you say that the overall noise level has been reduced or has stayed the same?

6 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Re-did the free flow style exhaust with addittional connection pipe after the backboxes.

Out of hibernation now? :) 

6 hours ago, phazed said:

That is interesting. Would you say that the overall noise level has been reduced or has stayed the same?

Noice level is fairly loud - specially on high rpm's. Still measuring 92db at 4000rpk as it is measured on track (approx 1 m away in 45-degree angle and approx 75cm from ground).

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Out of hibernation now? :) 

Jes😎, we still have snow here and there (not on main roads), but can't keep from driving - has been in use three weeks now, while no top down driving yet😁.

Edited by pacificjuha
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Noice level is fairly loud - specially on high rpm's. Still measuring 92db at 4000rpk as it is measured on track (approx 1 m away in 45-degree angle and approx 75cm from ground).

92db is good. My Toyosports measures 99 DB at 5000 RPM. I must try it at four and see what it is.

what is the redline of a 3.2, 986? Tracks are supposed to measure at 2/3 RPM.

2 hours ago, phazed said:

92db is good. My Toyosports measures 99 DB at 5000 RPM. I must try it at four and see what it is.

what is the redline of a 3.2, 986? Tracks are supposed to measure at 2/3 RPM.

Tell the scrutineer your redline is 5000. 😂

Ha. They are non believers.

Red line is 7,200. 2/3rds is 4800 rpm.

That is probably about 98 DB for me although hopefully I’ll be getting to Brands Hatch on Thursday and can check with their official DB meter.

We do all measures by Porsche Racing Club at the track while the limit is the one that track states and each time I have had to get my car db measured, it has been required to get done watith 4000 rpm. Hopefully this is the case on the upcoming season as well...

Fitted all new coil packs. Went for an extended test drive. Really is all damn good at the moment. Getting the feel of the engine which seems to have settled down and purrs like a sewing machine until you open it up!

I must be enjoying it as it is only averaging 16 point something to the gallon…

• Like 1

MOT passed with two minor defects; one of the number plate lights are out, and the left headlamp is a little yellow. Both issues which I shall address this weekend. It has a few advisories but nothing serious and nothing of which I was not aware. (dirty brake pipes covered in grease etc), and that annoying scraping noise on the nearside rear wheel which I just cannot seem to find. I've taken it all apart and cleaned everything, put everything back only for the slight scraping noise to rear its ugly head within 5 miles. Funny enough I couldn't hear it driving home (radio was too loud probably...). 

I plan to address all of these over the next few months once the interior is sorted and the clutch and AOS replaced. Next time around I want a clean bill of health. 

On the positive side the car was nicely warmed up and is an absolute joy to drive. Runs like it's on rails :)

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Patt said:

Number plate lights are often corroded contacts (old 993 part). bit of sandpaper will fix. 

I may have spares in the shed, DM me if you need me to search them out.

I still have a headlight restoring kit in my box of tricks somewhere and I have the number plate bulb in my spare bulb kit, but thanks for the offer. It's much appreciated.

• Like 1