What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

59 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

The transmission mounts look a little done for to be honest so I'm sourcing some replacements from eBay. Might as well sort that out whilst we're in there.

What sort are you going for? Tpye911 do some good value rubber ones. I fitted them on my 996

Just now, TV8 said:

What sort are you going for? Tpye911 do some good value rubber ones. I fitted them on my 996

To be honest I just got them from Steve Strange (one at least). Usable second hand part. As long as they don't leak they should be fine for years to come. Mine are definitely leaky.

• Like 1

On 4/19/2024 at 12:49 PM, 999mch said:

New stalks fitted, including cruise control. Had intended to repair the old one (indicators) as it wouldn't have passed the MOT, but last night a vital spring made an escape bid, never to be seen again ! Rang OPC this morning and £300 later, a brand new four stalk. Problem was I told the misses that it was about £260, forgot the VAT. She says that all her clothes shopping prices will now be exc. VAT !

Did the same, for the same reason, recently. Didn't know the indicator issue was a thing but you've confirmed it. I managed to get my stalks 2nd hand from ebay USA a whole lot cheaper via a pal which meant I avoided the rip-off freight charges.

Fitting was fun, never had to deal with an airbag before.

1 hour ago, Red14 said:

Fitting was fun, never had to deal with an airbag before.

Mine was ok, but glad I read about leaving the nut on the steering wheel so you don't hit yourself in the face when it comes off !

• Like 1

Few thing over the weekend and today, wired in factory heated seats, fitted Audison mid bass door speakers and replaced the coil packs. Topped it off with replacing the bulbs for LEDs for the boots and interior and replaced the battery with a new Bosch one. 

6 minutes ago, DorsetWurzel said:

wired in factory heated seats

Can you post a thread in Technical explaining how you did this? Topic comes up sometimes, few here understand the details. It would be really useful. 

9 hours ago, DorsetWurzel said:

wired in factory heated seats

Did you post this on one of the Facebook groups as well? If so, I meant to message you for details and that person mentioned they were an auto electrician, so I am assuming a fully working installation?

There is someone on here who fitted 986 heated seats and didn’t find them very warm. I am sure any contributions here would be appreciated. 

On 4/23/2024 at 7:40 AM, TV8 said:

Did you post this on one of the Facebook groups as well? If so, I meant to message you for details and that person mentioned they were an auto electrician, so I am assuming a fully working installation?

There is someone on here who fitted 986 heated seats and didn’t find them very warm. I am sure any contributions here would be appreciated. 

Yes that was me.

wiring is very simple, 

make sure you get the switches with the plugs and some loom and seats with the plugs to connect onto the seats and part of the wiring loom, 9 apart were brilliant and stripped the drivers side back to the fusebox, I had to make up some of the loom, but the was it.

as for fitting, rake out you old seats, I depinned the red/violet power wire and the 3yellows and one ground from the supplied vehicle seat plug and populated the plug already on my car, you have to remove locking tabs (blue) on the plugs to do this and slide an end cap off to remove the smaller multi plug for the 3 yellow and one brown go to go in.

once you have populated the seat plug you need to run the 3 wires to the switches, you do not have to follow the factory route! This will save you a ton of time. I went literally from under the seat up the side of the tunnel to where the switches are, less than a metre.

you will have two wires left on the switches to connect, blue grey with red dots and a brown, you can connect both your ground and blue grey to the same colour wires in the electric window switches, this will save you a ton of time also. The blue grey is a 1.5v wire, so don’t try and wire it to a 12v supply!

the thin brown that you connected with the yellows, just needs to go to ground. Earth points are under each seat. 

this leaves you the red violet, run this down the sill, to the fusebox, and on the top row is an unpopulated fuse space connect your wire there and fit a 25a fuse. Plug everything in and jobs jobbed..

• Thanks 3

New interior carpet has finally arrived. The first one I bought went missing somewhere and all that arrived was the address label...

Bought a set off eBay that is basically new old stock as well as a black engine cover, firewall cover, and the bit that goes at the bottom behind the seats. This means I can now finally complete the black interior. I was hoping to have had it done by now but c'est la vie. I've stashed it in the study for now and will crack on with that once we've completed the clutch etc. 

I must say the car is unrecognisable from the car I bought - in a good way :)

• Like 4

Finished doing the 987 airbox, 74 mm throttle body, Plenum and associated tubing fitments. Started up, idled and picked up nicely and then noticed a fuel leak at one of the injectors. Luckily it was the one nearest the MAF. Pulled it out and the O-ring had very slight damage where no doubt it happened when I was bolting the fuel rail down. Very difficult to see what is happening when you bolt it down as everything is so tight in that position. New O-ring ordered and will hopefully have it tomorrow so I can test drive the car. Ho hum…

11 hours ago, DorsetWurzel said:

wiring is very simple, 

especially when it’s your profession 😀

good write up, thank you. I am busy at the moment and will respond properly next week re 987 seats and 986 wiring

On 4/24/2024 at 8:13 AM, DorsetWurzel said:

Yes that was me.

wiring is very simple, 

make sure you get the switches with the plugs and some loom and seats with the plugs to connect onto the seats and part of the wiring loom, 9 apart were brilliant and stripped the drivers side back to the fusebox, I had to make up some of the loom, but the was it.

as for fitting, rake out you old seats, I depinned the red/violet power wire and the 3yellows and one ground from the supplied vehicle seat plug and populated the plug already on my car, you have to remove locking tabs (blue) on the plugs to do this and slide an end cap off to remove the smaller multi plug for the 3 yellow and one brown go to go in.

once you have populated the seat plug you need to run the 3 wires to the switches, you do not have to follow the factory route! This will save you a ton of time. I went literally from under the seat up the side of the tunnel to where the switches are, less than a metre.

you will have two wires left on the switches to connect, blue grey with red dots and a brown, you can connect both your ground and blue grey to the same colour wires in the electric window switches, this will save you a ton of time also. The blue grey is a 1.5v wire, so don’t try and wire it to a 12v supply!

the thin brown that you connected with the yellows, just needs to go to ground. Earth points are under each seat. 

this leaves you the red violet, run this down the sill, to the fusebox, and on the top row is an unpopulated fuse space connect your wire there and fit a 25a fuse. Plug everything in and jobs jobbed..

one thing to add if connecting to the fusebox  - these crimps  will allow you to use the vacant space with no bodges https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/126032837470?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=XtHNdilmSHi&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=EGSdw38zSQe&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Danncus
  • Like 1

Took the car out for a blast to Thames Ditton to pick up a OEM soft cover and thought what was a new 18” cup wheel. The wheel was indeed new but an anniversary 8J or 996 wheel. Gutted. It is as advertised. Brand new. Plan was to swap one over and refurb the other. Sell on the other one to a fella on this site in need of one. Proper school boy error. But the seller is a real gentleman and arranging to pick up and refund. Will check the cover out tomorrow. Meant to be mint. 🤙🏻

Finally finished with this weekend's work. Paul @TROOPER88 helped me with the clutch, flywheel and Rear Main Seal install yesterday. Luckily we had a gazebo over us because the weather was atrocious. We worked until just after 6 pm, I think. This morning I got busy and reinstalled the exhaust and all the other bits I took off. Then I had to do a few more jobs on the car. Sort out the pipe from the airbox to the intake which wasn't connected on the airbox end. Before that though I had to take off the whole air pipe because there was still one recalcitrant bolt that needed to go on the gearbox. What a pain that was. Then of course the roof had developed one of it gremlins so all afternoon I was bugging Paul with questions and he guided me to get the roof working and seated properly. The warning light still stays on but I'll have another go the coming weekend. I was tired and annoyed with the darn thing - and I wanted to take the car for a test drive!

I have to say that I could not have done the job without Paul's guidance and assistance. Trust me, it was a load of work and we were non-stop all day with the exception of one or two cups of coffee. I can't speak highly enough of him. 

All that effort has paid off handsomely though. The clutch feels like a Porsche clutch should feel. The car is a delight to drive and runs beautifully.

Next weekend I'll revisit the roof, and then finally get the graphite grey carpet out, and the NOS black carpet in. I'm still waiting for one piece to arrive but the main carpet and all the other major bits are here so I can crack on with that.

Edited because I completely forgot to mention the transmission mounts which we replaced. Easy enough job - just a pain to ensure everything lines up.

Edited by RedBarediver
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Took the car to Alastaro track. Now it is very much better planted to the ground and I can take fast corners with much higher speed than before. Also, before the track day, I did install new 225/45/17 front tires.

Hopefully I'll have the fully adjustable rear toe arms before next weekend, so I can swap those in and do a better full alignment same time as we install to my son's Golf MK2 a set of coilovers :)

15 hours ago, RedBarediver said:

Finally finished with this weekend's work. Paul @TROOPER88 helped me with the clutch, flywheel and Rear Main Seal install yesterday. Luckily we had a gazebo over us because the weather was atrocious. We worked until just after 6 pm, I think. This morning I got busy and reinstalled the exhaust and all the other bits I took off. Then I had to do a few more jobs on the car. Sort out the pipe from the airbox to the intake which wasn't connected on the airbox end. Before that though I had to take off the whole air pipe because there was still one recalcitrant bolt that needed to go on the gearbox. What a pain that was. Then of course the roof had developed one of it gremlins so all afternoon I was bugging Paul with questions and he guided me to get the roof working and seated properly. The warning light still stays on but I'll have another go the coming weekend. I was tired and annoyed with the darn thing - and I wanted to take the car for a test drive!

I have to say that I could not have done the job without Paul's guidance and assistance. Trust me, it was a load of work and we were non-stop all day with the exception of one or two cups of coffee. I can't speak highly enough of him. 

All that effort has paid off handsomely though. The clutch feels like a Porsche clutch should feel. The car is a delight to drive and runs beautifully.

Next weekend I'll revisit the roof, and then finally get the graphite grey carpet out, and the NOS black carpet in. I'm still waiting for one piece to arrive but the main carpet and all the other major bits are here so I can crack on with that.

Edited because I completely forgot to mention the transmission mounts which we replaced. Easy enough job - just a pain to ensure everything lines up.

Pleasure to be able to help @RedBarediver and amazing effort on your part. 

It just goes to show what can be done on a single driveway alongside your house with basic tools. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

Pleasure to be able to help @RedBarediver and amazing effort on your part. 

It just goes to show what can be done on a single driveway alongside your house with basic tools. 

And in the pouring rain too! :)

Thanks for your help - it really is much appreciated.

• Like 1

Finally got round to changing the tuning forks. Those bloody plastic nuts on the under tray. 🤬. The suspect one felt loose but I could feel no play when in the vice, so was dubious that it would cure the problem. But on a test drive I no longer have snooker balls in the bottom corner pocket. First time I have driven around looking for pot holes. 😂. I do have a rattle from some exhaust heat cover or something that I had forgotten about. Noticed oil on the air con pipes. AOS was a bit oily, so guess that will need doing. 

Oil

Tried on my new to me excellent condition cover. Very pleased.

Cover

• Like 2

Generally titted about most of the day and got slightly forward of nowhere …

A few quiet moment at end of WFH day so I've lubricated all the roof mechanism hinges and runners, door, bonnet and boot hinges with white lithium grease.  Gummi Pfleged the roof rubbers too.  I have an annoying squeaking/rubbing rubber noise when the hood is up (I know don't drive with the hood up) and hopefully this will ease it. 

Noticed both the hood liner elastic straps with hooks on the end that pull down to the B pillar when closed are unhooked and the elastic has perished.  Where are these supposed to attach to?  And how do you get to where they hook on?

List of jobs to do this weekend (I may take four days off next week if the weather is decent):

- AOS replacement

- Interior carpet install

- Air box and pipe jubilee clip

- Put back the fitting on the engine to hoist it out of the car

- Replace starter motor

- Wash and clay bar then polish.

And of course I have to ensure the new clutch is run in properly so I shall drive it as much as I can :)

• Like 1