What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

24 minutes ago, RedBarediver said:

Replaced the bulb in the speedo and to my delight it's working perfectly now. 

But....the airbag light has come on. I thought that a little strange but maybe I should have waited a bit before taking the speedo off. No worries. I have a little reader that can reset it. Pull that out of the garage and plug it in. Read the codes and clear. Airbag light goes out - only to come back on a few seconds later. Fault code is "0020 Ignition Circuit Driver".

Apparently this is something with either the alarm or the driver airbag. I have taken the battery off again and will leave the airbag to de-energise, then remove it (I want to move the steering wheel a smidgen to the left in any event), and will check if all the connections look good. My gut tells me that I may have done something when I put the speedo binnacle back on and maybe a wire came loose or isn't properly connected or something stupid.

The plot thickens..

Good news! I disconnected the battery, waited 30 mins or so, and then took off the speedo binnacle and the steering wheel. As I took off the airbag unit it seemed to me that the airbag wire popped loose too easily. Moved the steering wheel one notch over to the left, reconnected the airbag and made sure it's nice and firmly in, reassembled everything and reconnected the battery. 

Airbag light still on but that's to be expected as the fault has not been cleared. Connected my little iCarsoft and cleared the code.

Held my breath, and... problemo solvedo! :)

I guess that little iCarsoft has now paid for itself. No doubt it would have cost me a lot more than that to get the codes read and cleared by Porsche. Very pleased with the day's work and I reckon I deserve a cold beer now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

ah, that's really nice of you, thanks.  Got to do a rear arm soon, be nice to at least work on flat ground! 🤣

We should have a South Coast meet up at some point, there's quite a few of us down here.

Absolutely. We can always meet up and swop spares around. I am sure I have Porsche stuff in my garage that someone needs and others will have stuff that I can use. 

• Like 1

Absolutely nothing apart from moving it out the garage so I could work on my old Rangie.

1 pair of 300mm vented front discs, 1 new caliper,  1 litre of Dot4 fluid and a few copper washers…..£110.00 parts.

Don’t you just love an old Rangie!

Back to normal tomorrow, weather forecast is good and a nice drive in the 986 planned.

Put the roof down for the first time and went for a first run for a couple of hours, no faults appeared so a result!

zKDnsZa.jpeg

• Like 2

Started breaking it up. Bumpers and light off, all rear struts, hubs and suspension arms removed. Aim to drop the rear of the car onto a pallet, unbolt the engine/gearbox and then lift the body off the engine/gearbox and slide them out.

54 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

Started breaking it up. Bumpers and light off, all rear struts, hubs and suspension arms removed. Aim to drop the rear of the car onto a pallet, unbolt the engine/gearbox and then lift the body off the engine/gearbox and slide them out.

Self dismantling or assisted?
roblox-cart-ride-around-used-car-battery

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

But you fitted the towing eye just in case :D 

Was fitted for Brands last Thursday but with the weather, bottled out!

44 minutes ago, CMA said:

Self dismantling or assisted?
roblox-cart-ride-around-used-car-battery

All my own work, but I was lucky it wasn’t assisted given the state of my rear tyres😬

1 minute ago, Nobbie said:

All my own work, but I was lucky it wasn’t assisted given the state of my rear tyres😬

Got your monies worth out of them I guess :)

• Like 1

I have finally polished my headlights with the 3m kit. After watching the videos on YouTube i plucked-up the courage, and am pleased with the resultIMG_3250.jpeg.7e784948fbf13291b375da0064d5450b.jpeg

However I did find it tricky to sand using a cordless drill, with little bit of damage to the paintwork where I didn’t mask enough. With hindsight, I would remove the headlights and sand on the bench.

So i dug out my dual-action polish for the final stage, which rattled this dead spider in the headlight - he was jumping all over the place with the vibration before settling back into the crease🙄

IMG_3251.jpeg.b93ca6165184a2560cab5ec9b0f31842.jpeg

Finally I did pull out the headlight to investigate why my headlight and indicator intermittently stop working… With my new Bentley manual I could see that the rear of the bracket that houses the wiring connection is broken, half is missing, allowing the connector plug to move continuously. This is probably a legacy of the small ‘off’ the car had 10 years ago, according to the invoices… At least I now know I can order a new part and get it working properly again.

IMG_3246.jpeg.3484d68aeeef23b56accf7bdd247561b.jpeg

Now for the window regulator ! And as soon as the parts arrive, the cruise/obc upgrade.

I will shortly be removing the near-side rear calliper too, as the recent service at Zuffenhaus also left me with a sheared bleed nipple, so as per other threads here I’ll remove and send to BCS for repair…

Will keep me busy this bank holiday weekend !

• Like 1

I had a sheared off nipple on one of my rear brakes on my 986. Had a quote from BCS to repair and refurbish which was quite expensive. Found a really good used example on eBay for £150. Actually better than my caliper and a straight swap over.

• Like 1

Polished the headlamp that was a MOT "minor defect", took out the blown number plate bulb (unfortunately didn't have a spare in my spare bulb kit), ordered some spare bulbs and then decided to order a new battery as well. The current Varta has been in the car at least 5 years and is struggling a bit. In all honesty I'm surprised it lasted the winter. I keep the car on a C-Tek charger but it's still doubtful if it will do a second crank if the car doesn't start first time. I got the same Varta battery from Tayna for £107 delivered (https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/varta/f18/). Can't really complain because if I bought it from Europarts and went to pick it up myself it's £162! (https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/varta-110-car-battery-4-year-guarantee-444771102)

Should be here tomorrow or latest Tuesday. Pretty good I think.

Cleaned the radiators as a each springtime task - maybe not needed next year, since I also installed a metal mesh to protect the radiators from leaves and maybe some stones... Same time painted the grey fins at the radiator openings to black to match the black mesh.

Changed brake pads to Ferodo Racing DS2500 pads all around. The old ones were OEM repalacement Brembo's and the rear ones were looking reeeeaaaal bad - maybe heat from track use had caused this?

Front ones were not that bad looking, but had only 1mm left before the sensor hole would have been exposed.

L6w1xJa.jpg

NCd48gS.jpg

Edited by pacificjuha

2 hours ago, pacificjuha said:

Cleaned the radiators as a each springtime task - maybe not needed next year, since I also installed a metal mesh to protect the radiators from leaves and maybe some stones... Same time painted the grey fins at the radiator openings to black to match the black mesh.

Changed brake pads to Ferodo Racing DS2500 pads all around. The old ones were OEM repalacement Brembo's and the rear ones were looking reeeeaaaal bad - maybe heat from track use had caused this?

Front ones were not that bad looking, but had only 1mm left before the sensor hole would have been exposed.

L6w1xJa.jpg

NCd48gS.jpg

They are some properly cooked pads!

Almost changed the coolant tank. Fell at the last. Literally the last hose clamp I can't get back on. When I removed it I let it slide down the hard line so I wouldn't lose it. Starting to wish I'd took it off and got it clamped midway on the hose (the thick one for anyone who's done this job) while it was all out of the car. 

The long reach hose clamp pliers (the ones with the clamping 'teeth' on the end of a cable) don't have enough oompf to fully open it up to get it over that thick rubber hose, but there's not enough room in there for me to put vice grips on it either. 

Think I'm going to try wrapping something round the hose clip prongs before clamping the pliers onto it, hopefully making it open up a bit more. 

I'm sure some non-extension flexible ended (the ones which rotate) clamp pliers would do the job but I really want to get this finished tomorrow and not have to wait for delivery of a tool I don't ever want to use again. 

I use the DS2500 on the road. I'd consider using the DS1.11 or DS Uno for regular track days if staying with Ferodo. 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2024 at 11:28 PM, Jimbop90 said:

Almost changed the coolant tank. Fell at the last. Literally the last hose clamp I can't get back on. When I removed it I let it slide down the hard line so I wouldn't lose it. Starting to wish I'd took it off and got it clamped midway on the hose (the thick one for anyone who's done this job) while it was all out of the car. 

The long reach hose clamp pliers (the ones with the clamping 'teeth' on the end of a cable) don't have enough oompf to fully open it up to get it over that thick rubber hose, but there's not enough room in there for me to put vice grips on it either. 

Think I'm going to try wrapping something round the hose clip prongs before clamping the pliers onto it, hopefully making it open up a bit more. 

I'm sure some non-extension flexible ended (the ones which rotate) clamp pliers would do the job but I really want to get this finished tomorrow and not have to wait for delivery of a tool I don't ever want to use again. 

Failed for another 3 hours yesterday. Tried taking it all back out and clamping the final clamp midway on the hose, to then try and shuffle it along once hose was seated on the hard line, no chance, it was just going to tear up the hose.

Eventually got back to where I started and was trying to just force it with blunt nose pliers, I almost got there 2 or 3 times but was running out of grip strength at the vital moment. I've ordered some more locking pliers, and I'm going to wrap the end of the rubber hose where it meets the hard line in electrical tape, so the tape smoothes out the change in diameter between the hard line and the hose, and then lube it like an otters pocket and hope it goes on. Otherwise I'm tapping out.

1 minute ago, ATM said:

Dusty right?

Yep, more so than standard I would say. Also seems to stick to the wheels more.

Cost for the uninitiated is about £250 a set from memory. Oh the plus side I have used them for the past 15 years on various track focused cars. Never let me down with no fading at all.

9 minutes ago, phazed said:

Yep, more so than standard I would say. Also seems to stick to the wheels more.

Cost for the uninitiated is about £250 a set from memory. Oh the plus side I have used them for the past 15 years on various track focused cars. Never let me down with no fading at all.

Has anyone tried those ceramic pads which produce very little dust from some brand I have never heard of - or another low dust version?