What have YOU done to your 986 today ?

Mike G

10 hours ago, edc said:

Holy fek £53 for that! I bought many years ago a dongle you stick in the cig lighter which from memory has 2 USB ports and it can't have been more than £2.50. I bought about 7 of them, and have half away to the family. 

Me too, and keeps the original socket.

I actually used the car on Sunday, 180 miles or so, first proper run this year I reckon. Filled it up on the way home - first new juice since November (gulp).

Anyway, the car was pretty much faultless - though not quite…

Reckon my passenger airbag cover is creaking, and I’m pretty sure I need to let some air out of the tyres, the back end felt a little inconsistent but TPMS suggested >40PSI!! Suspect as a consequence of setting pressures in January when it was much colder.

16 hours ago, edc said:

Holy fek £53 for that! I bought many years ago a dongle you stick in the cig lighter which from memory has 2 USB ports and it can't have been more than £2.50. I bought about 7 of them, and have half away to the family. 

to be clear, i didnt pay anywhere near that... mine was sub£20...

On 5/3/2024 at 5:19 PM, phazed said:

At last took my modded S for a decent run today. Pulls like a train through the whole rev range as opposed to before where it was weak in the midrange.

Wouldn’t be surprised if it is running high 200’s bhp! Result…

Glad its running properly now Peter.

On 4/16/2024 at 11:12 AM, map said:

Assuming they’re still available could you share a link please?

Thanks

map

I’m a complete knob and only just spotted this

Hey, check out BOSCH Starter motor in the AUTODOC app https://m.autodoc.co.uk/bosch/17221399

That should work, in case you aren’t familiar with Autodoc, the discounts vary day to day. Monday typically the best.

If you haven’t used them before, here’s a £10 off coupon

Great news! You've been given a gift of a £10 coupon.
1. Follow the link https://interstitials.onelink.me/1036709825?pid=Sharing&af_c_id=AC24482947 to install the AUTODOC app
2. Enter your coupon code AC24482947 at checkout
3. Get your £10 discount

• Thanks 1

Changed the starter motor yesterday (not too difficult a job, just limited access) and cleaned the throttle body of 26 years worth of cr*p. Car runs much better and smoother now. Also that annoying screech on the starter is finally gone. For less than £40 including carb cleaner it's worth doing yourself.

Today I shall sort out the roof and if that doesn't take too much time I'll also do an oil change and inspect the old filter.

• Like 2

Noise test at Brands today. 98db at 5200 rpm with my full ToyoSport system, (manifolds, sports cats and rear double silencers)….Result,

nkDl60E.png

On 5/8/2024 at 8:19 AM, RedBarediver said:

Changed the starter motor yesterday (not too difficult a job, just limited access) and cleaned the throttle body of 26 years worth of cr*p. Car runs much better and smoother now. Also that annoying screech on the starter is finally gone. For less than £40 including carb cleaner it's worth doing yourself.

Today I shall sort out the roof and if that doesn't take too much time I'll also do an oil change and inspect the old filter.

Did you need to replace any seals/gaskets?  I need to do this, my idling isn't great.

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Did you need to replace any seals/gaskets?  I need to do this, my idling isn't great.

It all comes apart with jubilee type clips and the sleeves push in or over each other so no seals required unless you find any damaged bits. Just carb or brake cleaner as a solvent to clean up any oil residues.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

Nope. All came apart easily. I just got some carb cleaner and sprayed it all over the inside. Wiped it off with a paper towel and repeated the process a few times to get it nice and clean. One thing to look out for is to ensure all the vacuum lines and so on are in properly. I missed one and the idle was very lumpy and the car didn't run properly. I thought I had broken something....

Vacuum line back in and all good. Car runs better than before so well worth doing.

35 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

It all comes apart with jubilee type clips and the sleeves push in or over each other so no seals required unless you find any damaged bits. Just carb or brake cleaner as a solvent to clean up any oil residues.

Exactly right.

• Like 1

Chipped a rear rim 🤬 

Ironically right be the 'rim protector' text on the tyre!  I'd been considering refurbing them as there are a few other scuff I've picked up of the last 3 or 4 years.

PQR7TIb.jpeg 

• Sad 2

Did the oil change yesterday and cut the old filter open. No metal flakes in there. In total about 9 or 10 tiny bits of plastic, which are probably from the cam chain guides. The largest piece was probably about 1mm in diameter. 

All in all I reckon it's quite good for a car with over 108,000 miles on the clock.

Tomorrow I plan to install the OBD port properly. I would have done it today but I was busy cleaning the Alfa. I did manage to take the Boxster for a run with the roof down - in this weather it would be criminal not to - and the car ran absolutely beautifully.

Very pleased. As soon as the relay I ordered comes in on Tuesday I'll install that and then hopefully I can get the roof sorted this week and do a brake fluid flush next weekend.

• Thanks 1

I was planning to do a headunit change today, going from single DIN to double DIN. Failed at the 1st hurdle and had a headache kick in so will try again tomorrow.

My car has a Kenwood headunit in already, so I optimistically hoped there would be an ISO harness in already that my new Sony would work with. I managed to remove the old headunit and quickly connected the new Sony but it wouldn't power on. From what I can tell, the pin arrangement on the ISO power plug appears to be same but I need to triple check again. The old head unit is a Kenwood KDC BT500U, new one is Sony XAV AX3250.

For now I've put the Kenwood back in, it's working so I guess I've got some homework to do tonight.

1 hour ago, DavidC said:

I was planning to do a headunit change today, going from single DIN to double DIN. Failed at the 1st hurdle and had a headache kick in so will try again tomorrow.

My car has a Kenwood headunit in already, so I optimistically hoped there would be an ISO harness in already that my new Sony would work with. I managed to remove the old headunit and quickly connected the new Sony but it wouldn't power on. From what I can tell, the pin arrangement on the ISO power plug appears to be same but I need to triple check again. The old head unit is a Kenwood KDC BT500U, new one is Sony XAV AX3250.

For now I've put the Kenwood back in, it's working so I guess I've got some homework to do tonight.

There are usually a red and yellow cable which have in line connectors on an ISO harness to switch between switched and permanent feed, could be a simple as swapping these, but check the wiring in the manual for the head unit.

I spotted that in the manual, will be giving that a try later this evening if the kids go to sleep quickly. If it's just that, then this looks like a straight forward install.

Just ground the parking brake wire, route a dab antenna cable and relocate the hvac panel. 

33 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

There are usually a red and yellow cable which have in line connectors on an ISO harness to switch between switched and permanent feed, could be a simple as swapping these, but check the wiring in the manual for the head unit.

Ah, so I just checked. It's definitely not that. Now that I've looked at it without a looming headache (pardon the pun) it's clear the pins need rearranging. My car doesn't appear to have an adapter harness, instead it looks like the previous audio installer instead converted the Porsche harness by fitting the ISO plugs.

The car end of the connection has a Brown, Red/Black, White, Grey/White an a White/Blue stripe wires.

The Sony plug has Red, Black, Yellow, Blue/White and Orange/White.

Is there a key to which of the Porsche wires is what? (Brown & Red I've got as Earth & Live)?

20240511_180521_800x450.jpg

1 minute ago, DavidC said:

Ah, so I just checked. It's definitely not that. Now that I've looked at it without a looming headache (pardon the pun) it's clear the pins need rearranging. My car doesn't appear to have an adapter harness, instead it looks like the previous audio installer instead converted the Porsche harness by fitting the ISO plugs.

The car end of the connection has a Brown, Red/Black, White, Grey/White an a White/Blue stripe wires.

The Sony plug has Red, Black, Yellow, Blue/White and Orange/White.

Is there a key to which of the Porsche wires is what? (Brown & Red I've got as Earth & Live)?

20240511_180521_800x450.jpg

Message me your email. I have wiring diagrams I can send you an extract from, but I'm away until tomorrow night.

10 minutes ago, ½cwt said:

Message me your email. I have wiring diagrams I can send you an extract from, but I'm away until tomorrow night.

Thanks, just sent. 

Looks like I just need to find a switched live. When I combined both red and yellow into the double bullet connecter the head unit sprang to life, but there was no key in the ignition. 

Somehow the old kenwood works normally even with no switched live connected. It just appears to have a permanent live, ground and aerial power. 

Reduced the OBC avg. fuel consumption by 0.2mpg 😁

And then had a double beep from the alarm when locking it when I got home 🤬

5 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Reduced the OBC avg. fuel consumption by 0.2mpg 😁

And then had a double beep from the alarm when locking it when I got home 🤬

The double beep was my nemesis for a while.
Changed the wheels for my track set, gave the car a wash and left for Donington.

Not sure which wheels I prefer most. I think the second picture.

G9K6puV.jpeg

zKDnsZa.jpeg

Maybe.