Sounds in your ride

Whaleblue

I thought I'd start a new thread for this specific question, probably discussed generally before, but especially interested in music systems for the 718.

Of course, I can listen for myself (though not sure which variants my dealer has in a 718 BoXa), but thought I'd ask anyway.

So, any impressions/views regards the standard audio, the Bose, and even the insanely expensive Burmester would be interesting.

p.s. I love my music!

Just switch it off and listen to the wail of the flat six four :unsure:

Second thoughts, get the best you can afford. :laugh:

Seriously, not standard.  Do they not do the ASK any more?  It's previously been the level between standard and Bose, and had an amp and multiple speakers.

SPP and spend the rest on another option, for me :) 

My car is a weekend car. I have a 987.1 with Bose, but only put it on in a traffic jam, then straight off again.

I think really high-end stereos are a waste of money in a 2-seat convertible sports car.

3 minutes ago, Araf said:

SPP is the one then. :) 

+1 In a limo with a chauffeur I can understand a high end stereo system, but not in a convertible sports car. It is a waste of money IMO.

On my first two Boxsters (both 986), I specified what probably was the equivalent of the SPP (the basic upgrade to the Porsche default, to get a few extra speakers) and was quite happy with it. That was a daily drive, and I listened to music while commuting as well as on long journeys.

My current car has Bose, but I bought an already-specified car and not sure I would have opted for it myself - I would probably again have gone for the SPP instead. On the 981 though, the SPP was a ~£400 option compared to the ~£800 Bose. With the good deal I got on the car, I look on the Bose upgrade over the SPP as being one of the options I effectively got 'free'.

It appears that now on the 718, the SPP is standard equipment but the Bose is still around £800. On that basis I'm sure I would just go for the SPP; I really doubt that the Bose is worth £800 more than the SPP (and even though I love listening to music in the car, as others have said, a Boxster is not really the car to have an audiophile's system in).

Interested to hear any thoughts it the OP listens to them back-to-back though - the main difference I expect being the dedicated subwoofer rather than just bass through the normal speakers.  I'd also be interested to know if anybody on here has ever specified the Burmester system :) as I've only ever seen that on Porsche demo cars.

My 718s has the standard fit. I recently had a loaner fitted with Bose. TBH, I didn't notice the difference. 

Im a Bose fanboy, had many home systems, headphones etc over the years, and my 986 has Bose. So I would have a soft spot for Bose, however, the difference isn't noticeable for me; never tried Burmeister. 

14 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

My 718s has the standard fit. I recently had a loaner fitted with Bose. TBH, I didn't notice the difference. 

Im a Bose fanboy, had many home systems, headphones etc over the years, and my 986 has Bose. So I would have a soft spot for Bose, however, the difference isn't noticeable for me; never tried Burmeister. 

Thanks, that reaffirms my decision to stick with the SSP.

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Depends how much you listen to music. My car is a daily driver and I want a decent system whilst stuck in traffic. The Bose (in 981) is adequate,  the standard wasn't. 

I'd agree, mines a DD and has done 28k over 3 years so the roof is not always down as its used all year around for pleasure and work..so musically I think its more important to have something decent to listen too and Bose does that for me..(specced by me from new)

Having listened to the Bose I was happy with the SPP. on my 718. As someone said lots of other extras to spend your money on. Not heard the £2663 system.

OK, I decided to listen to the Bose vs. the SSD. I've opted for the Bose.

For me, the things that swung it were the inclusion of speakers behind the seats, and the DSP trickery for "spatial sound" and what-not. It really did make a difference (to me).

As advised above - these are things you have to try for yourself to decide what's important to *you*

Archived