PSE

Rufus

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Yes I'm in a similar boat to Andy Mac, the PSE certainly sounds great (from outside at least) when on a hoon and I am somewhat tempted, but I was slightly concerned that it may become annoying in a daily driver like mine.  If off it sounded just the same as the standard exhaust then I would definitely go for it, but it doesn't, it's much louder.

I use mine as a daily...its liveable...

I dont know if @Ringer250 has any comments about his carnewal and if it is tame enough in normal driving (hence not overbearing) it's certainly 'fruity' enough on pushing on...

7 hours ago, boxsternoob56 said:

I use mine as a daily...its liveable...

I dont know if @Ringer250 has any comments about his carnewal and if it is tame enough in normal driving (hence not overbearing) it's certainly 'fruity' enough on pushing on...

Just to confirm that the Carnewal is quite docile in normal driving - no drone at a constant speed. If you press the sport button it sounds deeper and adds the back chat on overrun even at slower speeds. As Stuart has heard it does make a nice noise when pushed!

9 hours ago, Greenman said:

Yes I'm in a similar boat to Andy Mac, the PSE certainly sounds great (from outside at least) when on a hoon and I am somewhat tempted, but I was slightly concerned that it may become annoying in a daily driver like mine.  If off it sounded just the same as the standard exhaust then I would definitely go for it, but it doesn't, it's much louder.

I use mine for commuting on several occasions (50% motorway) and don't find the drone bad at all when it's off. Although I've never experienced a Non PSE one to compare. You're welcome to have a ride in mine if you want to see for yourself before making the decision to splash the cash.

The people that I have seen complain tend to complain about drone between 2000 and 3000 revs which primary exposes itself on motorway driving. As everything some people are going to be more sensitive to this than others. I also wonder if there is a difference between the effect on base and S models?.  CMAs exhaust certainly sounds great externally. Though have to say I'm not doing as much motorway driving as I used to so really it's a case of if I can justify splurging £1800.

Best feature on my 981 S is definitely the sports exhaust, but my car is a weekend toy and not a daily driver.

If i was in the market for another Porsche, it would have to have the sports exhaust! Sports and Sports plus switch it on automatically and it sounds amazing to me.

When not switched on its hardly noticeable so for me its the best of both worlds. :)

2 hours ago, Greenman said:

The people that I have seen complain tend to complain about drone between 2000 and 3000 revs which primary exposes itself on motorway driving. As everything some people are going to be more sensitive to this than others. I also wonder if there is a difference between the effect on base and S models?.  CMAs exhaust certainly sounds great externally. Though have to say I'm not doing as much motorway driving as I used to so really it's a case of if I can justify splurging £1800.

that was a complaint of PDK + PSE owners I believe

16 minutes ago, topradio said:

I think the acid test would be to ask if anybody who has switchable PSE whether thy wished they hadn't or if they wouldn't bother with it again.

Me, I would have it again in a heartbeat.  

Ditto :)

19 hours ago, topradio said:

Why would it bugger up the cats?

I can't comment on the 718 but on the 981, when the PSE is off the exhaust note is perfectly civilised but when turned on it burbles and pops and crackles like a good un. Completely under the drivers control.

Because you cannot inject neat fuel into the exhaust manifold for it to ignite as the resultant ignition will burn the catalyst material, I used to photograph soooo many failed Cats due to unburnt and burning fuel leaking through to the Cat, they just gradually melt, nasty and expensive.

There are other ways such as ignition of fuel after the Cats, but I cannot see a manufacturer getting away with that as it would really play havoc with emmissions, except of course if it's VW :D

I would guess the pops and bangs heard on the PSE is a result of a combination of open silencer valves and longer duration inlet/exhaust valve overlap but without letting burning fuel down the manifolds/exhaust tract.

I suspect that the emissions test is done with all the economy stuff on (sport / sport plus off auto stop start on etc) I think that you are allowed to override those economy measures if you want, after all that's what you do with your right foot.

As I said, I understood that Audi (on the R8 I believe) made the pops by injecting a tiny drop of fuel directly into the exhaust and letting it ignite.

6 hours ago, topradio said:

I think the acid test would be to ask if anybody who has switchable PSE whether thy wished they hadn't or if they wouldn't bother with it again.

Me, I would have it again in a heartbeat.  

This guy had his removed

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1208769

1 minute ago, topradio said:

It sounds like his was faulty - or there's something wrong with his hearing. There is a distinct difference between PSE on and off. It sounds like his may have been stuck on.

Agree, on my 987S there is a big difference between PSE on and off... unless you are Araf and dont know its got PSE ;)

20 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

he had PDK too

That's correct and on my PDK it makes a massive difference (not at idle though) and I don't get any of the reported droning at cruise speed. Perhaps they made some changes to the PSE on later cars.

When I was thinking of specifying it, the salesman demonstrated it with a new car by revving the engine at standstill, I have to say that I really couldn't tell the difference. I still bought it though.

If you read that whole thread you will see that the OP tests a couple of other cars with PSE and experiences the same issues.  Obviously the PDK ratios are a bit different to the manual so you would expect these issues to manifest at different speeds between the two cars, maybe in the manual the drone is at a slower speed such that you would be less likely to experience it on a motorway.  There are a couple of similar threads on Planet9 as well. I was reading all these prior to buying mine and decided that I would go without the PSE.  

I suspect there are other factors at play here as well, road noise, tyres etc but I suspect it's mainly that some people are just more sensitive to it than others and obviously people drive at different speeds some of which may induce drone more than others, that said it's also true that the vast majority of people seem to love their 981 PSE.

Obviously all this is somewhat off topic for those looking at specifying a 718 PSE or not, in their case the decision if even more difficult as there doesn't seem to be many 718 around with it installed, and given the underlying nature of the engine is completely different who knows what improvement (or not) a PSE would bring, I think we can probably guarantee that you will get more crackles and pops though (if that's something you want).

Archived