PSE

Rufus

You will find a lot on here who rate the PSE as the most desirable of options for the 981. I have it fitted to mine and the sound is awesome. One of the 718S I drove had PSE and it was equally awesome. Check out your OPC and see if they have a car fitted with PSE so you can hear in the metal. Video reproduction doesn't do it justice.

Do you get tired of the crackle/pops on throttle liftoff? I hear that in the videos I see of it, and to be honest, it seems like it would annoy the heck out of me after a while. 

14 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

Do you get tired of the crackle/pops on throttle liftoff? I hear that in the videos I see of it, and to be honest, it seems like it would annoy the heck out of me after a while. 

Nope...i love it to bits and it's never turned off :)

986 is vacuum controlled, so quiet when tip toe off drive etc as not under enough load. Also no popping like 981.  981 is artificially "enhanced" with the ECU, as I think is the 718

I notice modern sports cars are now engineered with this overrun crackle/pop upon throttle lift off (eg. older Lamborghinis did not exhibit this, but the new ones do). Same thing with Porsches. I would prefer the excellent exhaust sound upon throttle application up till redline, but not so much upon lift off, but that is the "style" these days. With the 718, there isn't a nice flat 6 scream up to redline anymore, so they have to engineer the pops and crackle upon lift to make the exhaust sound more sporty.

Interestingly, if I recall correctly, the crackle/pop upon exhaust lift signifies that the engine is running too lean (eg. something wrong with the engine parameters).  It's funny how they now make this a desireable sound feature.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

I know that Audi make there exhaust pops by injecting a very small amount of fuel directly into the manifold. Do we know if Porsche do the same?

That's just bizarre. Surely it can't do the exhaust system any good, and must have some effects on consumption?

12 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

That's just bizarre. Surely it can't do the exhaust system any good, and must have some effects on consumption?

And would bu66er up the Cats also........not so sure.

It's all because emissions and regulations are so damn tight, manufacturers have had to fine lame ways to synthetically re-enhance the noises we once appreciated. Sadly this forced sound just isn't quite as good as a legitimate one.

19 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

That's my concern 

the 718 has crackles with the normal exhaust and don't want it to sound silly

gonna have a look round the local OPCs and find one with a 718 PSE and have a listen

1 hour ago, Boxbrownie said:

And would bu66er up the Cats also........not so sure.

Why would it bugger up the cats?

I can't comment on the 718 but on the 981, when the PSE is off the exhaust note is perfectly civilised but when turned on it burbles and pops and crackles like a good un. Completely under the drivers control.

38 minutes ago, Rufus said:

That's my concern 

the 718 has crackles with the normal exhaust and don't want it to sound silly

gonna have a look round the local OPCs and find one with a 718 PSE and have a listen

1. The PSE doesn't make the car go any faster.

2. The standard car growls nicely enough when provoked, and is reasonably quiet on a gentle run.

3. The PSE is not cheap.

Enough for me to have left it off the order form.

But, it's all about what *you* want. Interested to see what you decide.

5 minutes ago, Whaleblue said:

1. The PSE doesn't make the car go any faster.

2. The standard car growls nicely enough when provoked, and is reasonably quiet on a gentle run.

3. The PSE is not cheap.

Enough for me to have left it off the order form.

But, it's all about what *you* want. Interested to see what you decide.

Spot on!

Its your car and you must specify what suits you - engine, colour, gearbox, exhaust etc.

For me PSE is the best option on my 981 - but don't take any notice of me I bought a gold car.:o

Edit - before I got the car I thought that the PSE was puerile. Now I have it I find that it is.:D

It's not cheap but my second hand 981 came with it luckily and I quite like it, a lot :) Not sure what it sounds like from outside the car but @Greenman has followed me several times when it has been on or off and has made complimentary noises about it. @Loz987 commented it was one of the only cars he's heard while 2 cars in front when in convoy. (which is a surprise as he's normally miles ahead) :)

All down to personal taste some will like it others wont, all depends what you want from your car. Good luck with the decision. The beauty with these cars is if you suddenly change your mind in a year you can get it retro fitted.

The 981 PSEs sounded so good on the drive back from Sywell the other week (as did @Ringer250 's Carnewal when revved in the car park).

@boxsternoob56 and @mrbikerdood 's on the go sounded spot on - especially with pops and crackles on the overrun. Way better than my previous Gen II 2.9 with PSE (& I loved that).

I really like the sound of the 981 S as is - but I am sorely tempted to get a retrofit... just adds a whole new level of enjoyment.

Yes I'm in a similar boat to Andy Mac, the PSE certainly sounds great (from outside at least) when on a hoon and I am somewhat tempted, but I was slightly concerned that it may become annoying in a daily driver like mine.  If off it sounded just the same as the standard exhaust then I would definitely go for it, but it doesn't, it's much louder.

Archived