coloured centre caps

89rallye

I've noticed recently the replica sets on eBay have shot from £12 to £21. 

Ive just ordered these though for £12.99

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162331643251

Should arrive in a few days as listed as UK stock. The ones I've bought in the past are no longer listed/available, but these look identical. 

51B562F8-8BB2-4E5F-8CB7-6B66C2935971.jpg

98BEDE39-E785-43D7-A7DE-51A39BB0F3AF.jpg

I've had a couple of sets this year, one was £9.50 via Amazon, the other set was £9.99 from ebay, but neither are available any more, it looks like that set @Jason986S has ended and the other sets on ebay are knocking on £20 including delivery.  I would wait and see what becomes available in the short term, the availability situation seems to change frequently.

Wonder if Porsche have worked their 'magic' on shutting down production of these replica wheel centres.... Seems funny that multiple suppliers are registering zero stock.

Something similar happened with the TRW suspension arms.

Porsche had all the snide stuff removed fromc ebay, 9apart I believe had 800 listings removed

They will filter back slowly, although the quality of the hubcaps is poor, after 6 months outside they wont look anything like they did

On 27/12/2016 at 10:04 AM, cj225 said:

There's an abundance of sellers out there, all pretty much selling the same stuff. 

Top tip: lacquer the emblems before putting them on the car to save them fading (or at least as quickly)

Seconded on the top tip.

I think they are clamping down on eBay but if you keep your eyes open they seem to pop on for a few hours now and then.

I grabbed a quick set just before Christmas but I think they were £18 very good though!

30887395903_30d8f08873_b.jpg

The eBays are at the top, my oem used set are in the middle and those awful faded ones were what came on the 987s.

I had a set of the cheap ones on the last Boxster.  They were still great after a year.  At the price, I wouldn't mind putting new ones on yearly.

my ebay centres have turned a slight gold colour but I can live with that....they were also slightly too large for the apertures in the wheels so had to be sanded slightly to fit...one set I bought came with free Porsche vale caps too...they were ok until some oik nicked two of one side of the car :angry:

Sadly my new set arrived damaged in the post so can't overly comment on them. They are different to the previous set though with the bare plastic being an off white colour not grey. And the fitting clips being chunkier and less of them.

1 hour ago, 89rallye said:

Value for the money ?

Yeh still look decent enough to the un trained eye. But to us lot - probably a bit naff and a poor effort. 

Personally, I'd hold out or shop for other proper embossed types that look more authentic. At only £12.99 a set delivered, there's no drama either way. 

The seller is sending me another set FOC due to the damage in transit.

these look like the "might" be he more embossed type by the sneak peak shown

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322344733293

Years ago, before these were available, I put coloured crest stickers on the wheel centres.  Nobody commented so didn't notice or were too polite. :) 

4 minutes ago, Araf said:

Years ago, before these were available, I put coloured crest stickers on the wheel centres.  Nobody commented so didn't notice or were too polite. :) 

Haha, not just me then! Also years ago, I lost one of the coloured crests which came unglued from the silver plastic disc. While I worked out how to get another one without paying OPC tax, I printed out a photograph of one of the others at 100% size, and stuck that on with a layer of sticky-backed plastic to seal it from the weather. It was only ever intended as a stopgap, but from any distance it looked just like the real thing and it stayed on there quite a while after I'd found a second-hand one on EBay until I got around to swapping them over. I'm sure no-one noticed - though I didn't go to meetings of eagle-eyed BoXa.net members in those days.

The new replica's are a very snug/perfect fit by the way. Just tried one on a Carrera wheel in the garage and it was spot on. Quite an effort to remove it (used 2 flat screw drivers on the rear clips) compared to a genuine centre cap which basically fell out with a gentle tap from the back. 

13 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

I'm refurbishing my original ones, but they are the plain silver/black type, so easy enough to do.

Would put some pics up, but photobucket seems to be permanently feked these days.

Photobucket iOS app works perfectly always for me? 

Archived