Insurance broker recommendations

bobar

Hello All,

I have recently joined this forum and just agreed to buy a Boxster 718.

I will be collecting the car next week and am now starting to seek quotes for insurance cover.

Can anyone please point me in the direction of any reliable brokers?

Thanks.

It may sound left field but for the past 5 years Saga has been the cheapest. Current premium £278 PNCB, 6k miles pa.

16 minutes ago, Kevin G said:

It may sound left field but for the past 5 years Saga has been the cheapest. Current premium £278 PNCB, 6k miles pa.

Thanks

As I am now in the Saga lout demographic I'll give them a whirl.

• 1 month later...

I'd like insurance for multiple Boxsters, only ever to be driven short distances and changed frequently.

Like a dealer's insurance but with different plates?

In CA, I had a policy for my 3 trucks with AIG. Can't drive more than one at a time...

Thanks,

Chris

Try Henderson & Taylor

They advertise in PPGT, I've been with them for a last couple of renewals, decent service, cover & price   

When I rode bikes I had a Norwich Union (whatever happened to them) rider policy, this allowed me to ride any machine up to 1300cc fully comp irrespective of whether it had its own policy. It was a fantastic idea (and one I believe still exists in places like the States). It made complete sense, insure the driver not the vehicle. It would mean that you could jump in any car confident that you are legal and covered.

Occasionally I have to drive cars not belonging to me, which is fine as I have the clause in my policy allowing me to drive other cars as long as they are insured in their own right. The problem is that you have to take the word of the owner that their vehicle is actually covered. So in this situation I look on the askmid site to ensure that I'm not going to fall fowl of the law. 

3 hours ago, topradio said:

When I rode bikes I had a Norwich Union (whatever happened to them) rider policy, this allowed me to ride any machine up to 1300cc fully comp irrespective of whether it had its own policy. It was a fantastic idea (and one I believe still exists in places like the States). It made complete sense, insure the driver not the vehicle. It would mean that you could jump in any car confident that you are legal and covered.

Occasionally I have to drive cars not belonging to me, which is fine as I have the clause in my policy allowing me to drive other cars as long as they are insured in their own right. The problem is that you have to take the word of the owner that their vehicle is actually covered. So in this situation I look on the askmid site to ensure that I'm not going to fall fowl of the law. 

Norwich Union is now Aviva

On 11/01/2017 at 8:31 AM, Kevin G said:

Yes, for me too.  Current premium £230, protected maximum NCB, 4k miles annual limit, SDP use only, locked garage when not in use.  Of course, you need to be over 50...

@bobarmay I ask how you got on with your quote from Saga?

Just insured mine through Locktons. Significantly cheaper than any other quote, and doesn't use my NCB. Also included a years subs to PCGB. 

19 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Yes, for me too.  Current premium £230, protected maximum NCB, 4k miles annual limit, SDP use only, locked garage when not in use.  Of course, you need to be over 50...

@bobarmay I ask how you got on with your quote from Saga?

Dang, I"m 49 and a few months :(

On 3/4/2017 at 3:19 PM, topradio said:

I know :rolleyes: it was a rhetorical question :P

The problem with rider policies was that Norwich Union didn't really know what they were covering.  You had lots of teenagers on 750s insured by their mums, while their own policy was for a moped.

My bikes were with Carole Nash but are now with e-bike.  Multi-bike with one rider and third party on any other machine.

16 hours ago, Araf said:

The problem with rider policies was that Norwich Union didn't really know what they were covering.  You had lots of teenagers on 750s insured by their mums, while their own policy was for a moped.

My bikes were with Carole Nash but are now with e-bike.  Multi-bike with one rider and third party on any other machine.

I think they did know their risk. The insurance was for up to a certain capacity and if you were 17 and wanted cover for bikes up to say 1000cc the cost would be astronomical.

When I was 21 I had a mad idea about buying a Honda CBX (a totally ridiculous in-line 6 machine) and the insurance was going to be £2000! half a years pay at that time.

Ive just had to alter my insurance with one month remaining for my 718 and it cost me £7.58 result even with an outstanding claim.

Im not into Saga territory yet until later in the year, but have been told to stay well clear of them.

I passed my bike test at 17 years and 5 weeks then sold my 125 for a brand new VF500 , they were doing an offer of £99 insurance then when i went to renew for the second year it was £1600 !!!!!! which was more than the bike was worth, so back to a 250.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2017 at 4:18 PM, Daffy said:

Just insured mine through Locktons. Significantly cheaper than any other quote, and doesn't use my NCB. Also included a years subs to PCGB. 

Yep me too.

Everybody else wanted to put the price up and they were cheaper this time round.

Archived