I stupidly dented the car

Gutley

Had an accident while jacking the car up today. The bloody jack slipped and went into the underside:

'Luckily' the plastic section prevented the paint getting scraped and although the metalwork is bent, it isn't buckled anywhere so should hopefully be easy enough for a Bodyshop to unbend.

What I think happened is that the wheel of the jack got stuck in the grooves between the bricks and as it went higher, instead of the jack moving along the ground, the contact point slid backwards instead.

Double Bumitty Bum Bum  

Sorry to hear about the incident.  Don't beat yourself up.  The main thing is you were not injured(I take?) and the damage is not major.  The damage looks quite awkward to get to.  Best of luck with the repairs.

I feel your pain. I had a similar (though worse) experience with my previous car (not Porsche fortunately) when trying to put the car on ramps I ended up spinning the ramps down past the wheels and so the car was supported on both sides directly by the ramps on the sills 

1 hour ago, Gutley said:

...and can anyone recommend a repair place not too far from Maidstone?

I don't think you'll get that out by conventional means as the sill is a box section for rigidity (IIRC).  However, a smart repair should be possible.  You could have a word with Neil at http://www.nwjautocare.co.uk/  He's in Bredhurst/Boxley and knows a smart repairer in your area that should be able to help.

13 minutes ago, edc said:

Check any pipe work that may run along the sill. 

Good point. Anyone know what exactly goes along there?

4 minutes ago, Araf said:

You could have a word with Neil at http://www.nwjautocare.co.uk/  He's in Bredhurst/Boxley and knows a smart repairer in your area that should be able to help.

Thanks Ian - Will do.

Sorry to see, but good you didn't get injured! Now could be a good time to just leave it be and install side skirts. The rear black plastic section in your pic is removed altogether when you install side skirts and the skirt will hide the dent! :)

95DA2ED5-6FB4-4775-86C7-DA0C3836296E_zps

1 minute ago, boxtaboy said:

Sorry to see, but good you didn't get injured! Now could be a good time to just leave it be and install side skirts. The rear black plastic section in your pic is removed altogether when you install side skirts and the skirt will hide the dent! :)

95DA2ED5-6FB4-4775-86C7-DA0C3836296E_zps

Not a bad idea, but I'll still know whats lurking beneath.

If they have to drill a hole in order to pull the dent out, you may be better off not repairing it, as it introduces a chance of corrosion in that area, but maybe the body shop has some tricks up their sleeves. Good luck!

Just now, boxtaboy said:

If they have to drill a hole in order to pull the dent out, you may be better off not repairing it, as it introduces a chance of corrosion in that area, but maybe the body shop has some tricks up their sleeves. Good luck!

I agree.  Smart repairers usually stick their pullers to the paint and then use a slide hammer.  If the paint comes off, it shows that the paint was already damaged and a smart repair isn't possible.

Yes, and if the simple repair isn't possible, they'll most likely need to weld small bars to the area to pull the dent out and then you'll need to have the whole quarter panel repainted and/or blended to paint match. 

I'm sure the damaged part of the sill is just that - the outer sill only and the box section is what has stopped the weight of the car crushing the outer sill further, however an easy repair.

They will tack weld fingers to the damaged area of the sill and insert a rod through the fingers and just wind the dent out - then snap off the fingers and a bit of light grinding to clean the panel up a bit, spray and chip protector.

Sorry for your trouble @Gutley, that is bad luck.  

It's no consolation to you but, the indy who used to service my 987 told me that damage like that to the outer sills is quite common, usually caused by tyre fitters putting a trolley jack in the wrong place.   The subject arose because my 987 had a minor dent in one sill, which wasn't visible unless you lay in the ground.  IIRC, he mentioned that there were some brake lines running in that area, so it might be worth having a look underneath to check. 

Hope it's a straightforward fix.  Even if the sill needs to be resprayed, there should be no trouble hiding the join that low down. 

1 hour ago, chaz771 said:

Don't fret its not a big job, you weld rods on and pull it out with a slid hammer then a bit of filler and spray up to the under seal line.

...and 

imagepng  

?

Gutley , I'll be interested to see how this is dealt with as my car has a similar dent on the front right sill. I thought it was from a previous owner dropping the car off a high kerb but now I know how it's more likely to been caused. 

Did a similar thing myself once , but even more careless.... lowered the car without the axle stand being cleared and did exactly the same damage in the same place but on my MR2 roadster, it was an easy fix for the bodyshop.... they could get behind it and push it out. Hope it gives you some encouragement, Good Luck

Mike

Archived