Getting my money back from OPC :-(

solwisesteve

Purchased a 981 from Aberdeen OPC about three weeks ago.

The vehicle turned up without a new MOT and with paint work that was less than brilliant (it needs a decent polish and buff at the very least).

After two weeks of hassle with Aberdeen OPC it was booked into Leeds OPC for the MOT and other work to be done.

It was collected this morning by Leeds OPC.

I've just been told by Leeds that the paint work hasn't been touched and also, when doing the MOT, the front brake pipes plus discs and pads are badly corroded. It's passed the MOT, just, but this work will definitely need doing before the next MOT. To say I'm well and truly p***ed off is an understatement.

This has been a mess from day one and I'm at the end of my tether.

So how do I stand on demanding my money back?

Advice please.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure you can reject the car - sale of goods act - which website seems fairly helpful - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/the-second-hand--car-i-bought-has-a-problem-what-are-my-rights

Especially quoting how they are supposed to prepare cars from the website ...

From conception every Porsche’s goal is to deliver pure driving pleasure, impeccable quality and absolute engineering integrity. An Approved pre-Owned Porsche delivers this dream precisely as it was intended.

The Porsche Approved commitment means:

• Approved Porsches meet exacting standards both aesthetically and mechanically
  • The vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist
  • All work has been performed by Porsche technicians
  • Only Genuine Porsche parts are fitted to the car
  • All routine servicing and maintenance due within the next 3 months or 3,000 miles will have been carried out as a minimum
  • A minimum of 12 months MOT*
  • Fitment of N-rated Tyres to a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm 
  • Assured electrical functionality and battery condition
  • Body refinishing to exacting standards
  • A full valet and final quality inspection
  • Independent monitoring

*for cars over 36 months old

Put it writing as soon as possible that you reject the car under the Sales of Goods act. Don't negotiate don't get angry or rude.  If they try to argue/discuss, just keep saying you reject the car under the Sale of Goods act.

I don't think you have a strong case under the CRA 2015 legislation for a refund as there is no fault on the car (it passed the MOT)  but should be able to insist on it being prepared to their stated standards. I think any advise on a MOT should be sorted on an OPC prepped car and assume this is an oversight. Have Aberdeen OPC been told about the MOT results and refused the work?

I only found out the MOT results myself an hour ago. I then sent the MOT video across to Aberdeen. I've said, under the circumstances, I want my money back. If the MOT had been done day one then these advisements would have been known and I would have walked away from the sale so the car was sold without disclosed issues. If I was dealing with a back street garage then I'm pretty sure I'd have recourse so my feeling is this is not acceptable from an OPC on an assured vehicle.

Worst case I think u are in better position with car being at Leeds. I'd ask them for a full list of issues that they would have put right at point of sale. That way you are playing on their pride and Aberdeen can foot the bill! Tell Leeds you are impressed with their service and will take car there in future

3 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

I only found out the MOT results myself an hour ago. I then sent the MOT video across to Aberdeen. I've said, under the circumstances, I want my money back. If the MOT had been done day one then these advisements would have been known and I would have walked away from the sale so the car was sold without disclosed issues. If I was dealing with a back street garage then I'm pretty sure I'd have recourse so my feeling is this is not acceptable from an OPC on an assured vehicle.

Sad this happens when an OPC is involved. Better is expected.  Are the pipes, pads and disks advisories on the MOT?

Reject car if you can, but definitely report them to Porsche UK. They need a total reality check, you have paid top dollar for a supposedly well prepared car to exacting standards and they should be falling over themselves to initiate either a total refund and apology or a complete new check of car and some compensation for your trouble. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

I won't be driving until it's resolved one way or another. Aberdeen sales lady has just emailed me to say she will speak to her manager tomorrow to get all these issues resolved. There was no mention either way about by demand for money back.

As long as the OPC do the work required then I don't think it is clear from the legal side that you have a right to reject. OPC should definitely be giving a goodwill gesture as this is poor customer service, maybe push for some free extras. If you push too hard to reject they may well assume you've just got cold feet.

That said, they may feel it's not worth the hassle and refund you despite not being legally obliged. Best to push the angle that you have lost faith in the OPC and do not trust that all of the other OPC checks will have been done properly. Not angry, just disappointed ? 

Good luck

2 minutes ago, martyn said:

Reject car if you can, but definitely report them to Porsche UK. They need a total reality check, you have paid top dollar for a supposedly well prepared car to exacting standards and they should be falling over themselves to initiate either a total refund and apology or a complete new check of car and some compensation for your trouble. Good luck and let us know what transpires.

I'll give her till tomorrow am to she what she proposes. If I'm not happy then I'll phone customer relations at Porsche... btw down anyone please have the contact details for Porsche UK?

to quote porsche themselves, those highlighted you could argue haven't been fullfilled

• Approved Porsches meet exacting standards both aesthetically and mechanically
  • The vehicle has been inspected in compliance with our 111-point checklist
  • All work has been performed by Porsche technicians
  • Only Genuine Porsche parts are fitted to the car
  • All routine servicing and maintenance due within the next 3 months or 3,000 miles will have been carried out as a minimum
  • A minimum of 12 months MOT*
  • Fitment of N-rated Tyres to a minimum remaining tread depth of 3mm 
  • Assured electrical functionality and battery condition
  • Body refinishing to exacting standards
  • A full valet and final quality inspection
  • Independent monitoring

*for cars over 36 months old

14 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

Should I be talking to Porsche UK?

"SIGNED FOR" letters to OPC Aberdeen Dealer Principal, copies to Porsche UK 

11 minutes ago, Boxob said:

Sad this happens when an OPC is involved. Better is expected.  Are the pipes, pads and disks advisories on the MOT?

If they are MOT advisories, then you would have seen these before buying the car, had OPC Aberdeen done the MOT as they should have, and would,  presumably, have rejected the car.  In reality, I cannot believe an Approved Used Porsche would be marketed with advisories on the MOT.

2 minutes ago, Nobbie said:

As long as the OPC do the work required then I don't think it is clear from the legal side that you have a right to reject. OPC should definitely be giving a goodwill gesture as this is poor customer service, maybe push for some free extras. If you push too hard to reject they may well assume you've just got cold feet.

That said, they may feel it's not worth the hassle and refund you despite not being legally obliged. Best to push the angle that you have lost faith in the OPC and do not trust that all of the other OPC checks will have been done properly. Not angry, just disappointed ? 

Good luck

Thanks...

You know you buy an assured 3 year old vehicle from a dealer, a german car dealer, and you don't expect these sorts of things! If it was some back street fly-by-night then it'd be different but not from a luxury car dealer!

1 minute ago, Daniel Joseph said:

"SIGNED FOR" letters to OPC Aberdeen Dealer Principal, copies to Porsche UK 

If they are MOT advisories, then you would have seen these before buying the car, had OPC Aberdeen done the MOT as they should have, and would,  presumably, have rejected the car.  In reality, I cannot believe an Approved Used Porsche would be marketed with advisories on the MOT.

Exactly... that's my take on the situation. If I'd have seen an MOT with these sorts (or any) advisories I'd have walked. If Aberdeen are saying that Leeds have got it wrong then that's their problem.

1 minute ago, solwisesteve said:

Thanks...

You know you buy an assured 3 year old vehicle from a dealer, a german car dealer, and you don't expect these sorts of things! If it was some back street fly-by-night then it'd be different but not from a luxury car dealer!

Yes,

the impression I had was that they go over the top in preparing them and that is why it's worth paying the premium to buy from an OPC. If they behave like this then why bother, you may as well buy from any car dealer.

2 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

Thanks...

Actually,  from your experience, it's not hard to infer that the car had no Approved Used preparation at all.

1 minute ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Actually,  from your experience, it's not hard to infer that the car had no Approved Used preparation at all.

They sent me a couple of days ago a copy of the vehicle check; not that that proves anything.

1 minute ago, solwisesteve said:

Thanks...

You would think so but I rejected a used Mercedes from a main dealer when it didn't meet the standards they boasted about.

Question for those who have taken out a Porsche warranty did you have to rectify any advisories noticed on the 111 point inspection before they agreed to provide cover ?

The thing here is that these issues should have been sorted BEFORE the mot.. My car goes back this Friday as OPC gave it a minor rather than Major service so it's not isolated within network. Not even sure if the gave it a minor service seeing as my oil is only half full... Plus needs some paint. Good luck anyway and hold your ground and get it sorted one way or another.

Seeing this another way, it sounds like the brakes and pipes need renewing and it needs a polish?

doesnt sound earth shattering to be demanding a refund. I think you'd be on a hiding to nothing.

if Leeds is the local for you, have Aberdeen foot the bill for Leeds to put new stuff on, get Leeds to do their full pre-sale inspection and sort any other issues, and have their detailer sort the car. If Aberdeen get shirty, get Porsche UK involved. 

Archived