Getting my money back from OPC :-(

solwisesteve

Only just Seen this thread, before you decide to accept the car or not, take this matter up with Porsche GB and see where they stand on this misrepresentation of their premium product!  I suspect they will not be amused, I would make that decision once they have or have not passed the attitude test.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked . the law changed in November 2015 , now called The Consumer Rights Act ( was The Sale of Goods Act) , and it applies in England , Scotland and Northern Ireland, a car can be rejected in the 30 day period if it has a fault, corroded brake pipes would constitute a fault in my book .

Definitely e-mail Porsche UK.  As already said by others, my experience when they are on the case has been excellent.  I would be wanting some sort of compensation for the hassle, delays, car not being to standard,dossappointment, and also the fact you haven't really had the use of it, or even a loaner (Porsche Experience Centre for you and SWMBO?)

I found Porsche GB were very professional, I dealt with them in a calm factual manner.  I e-mailed them first so they had the facts and on both (!!) occaisions i was contacted within 24 hours and satisfactory solutions reached in a professional manner - totally different to Mercedes who only succeeded in raising my annoyance to incandescent level.  

Sounds like I'm a serial complainer, so before anyone says anything I assure you all issues raised were fully justified!! 

3 hours ago, RCS said:

Sounds like I'm a serial complainer, so before anyone says anything I assure you all issues raised were fully justified!! 

Not really!

i was at a point whereby I thought I was being 'picky' but in a period of 3 days I had been to opposite ends of the country and had 2 different OPC experiences.

The second fell way below the standard I expected & although I was in 2 minds to complain I eventually decided it just wasn't right as I've never had the experience when buying a new £15k Vauxhall so why should I accept less for a £60k Porsche.

We are all told at times in our lives to 'Practice What We Preach' so why shouldn't we expect the same principle for a premium product.

At the end of the day, if your taking the p*ss and just whinging about menial non-issues then you will just be embarrassed when your shown what's really what but if your complaint is genuine then stand by your convictions and don't back down.

9 hours ago, Slick one said:

Just checked . the law changed in November 2015 , now called The Consumer Rights Act ( was The Sale of Goods Act) , and it applies in England , Scotland and Northern Ireland, a car can be rejected in the 30 day period if it has a fault, corroded brake pipes would constitute a fault in my book .

If the brake lines are good enough to pass the MOT then I'm thinking they wouldn't be classified as faulty. If this vehicle had failed the MOT then it would be a different thing.

11 hours ago, daz05 said:

Was this the grey boxster s they had in stock. I looked at it but found another car, spotted the corroded brake likes in the mot history. They spent quite a lot painting it as it was quite badly chipped on the lower sections of the car.

This is a Black non-S. tbh the stone chipping level is very low. There's one on the edge near the os front light but they say they're going to sort that. A couple of chips on the drivers door sill (shoes I'm going to guess) but these have already been touched up and you can only see them with the door open and a good torch. There's a couple of scuffs on the paint and these should be polished out.

On 01/02/2017 at 7:54 PM, topradio said:

I haven't got a pet frog so I watch telly with the cat:P

Seriously though, does anybody think that they actually do a 111 point check?

When I took my car for service they pointed out that my warranty had expired and they could renew it for 2 years for a crazy price and they would reduce the cost of the 111 point check by 50%.

I was tempted to point out that they had just serviced the car, did they not look at it while doing it? I didn't bother as I had no intention of extending the warranty.

I'm in the process of a buying a daily for the Missus from Volvo.  They, like VW, Mercedes, BMW and every main dealer I've bought from in past claim the car has gone through their 100+ point check and that's why they can warranty it for a year.  It's cobblers as we know, you're basically paying extra as insurance so that if anything crops up in the warranty period, they will sort it.  They don't check anything, just a quick oil change, pre-MOT inspection, sort any issues, fresh MOT, wipe over with a damp cloth and its on the forecourt.  They rely on you spotting any issues prior to sale and asking for them to be sorted as a condition of sale.  All dealers are the same, if you think Porsche are any different then I'm afraid you've fallen for their (very effective) marketing bullshyate.

2 minutes ago, mike597 said:

I'm in the process of a buying a daily for the Missus from Volvo.  They, like VW, Mercedes, BMW and every main dealer I've bought from in past claim the car has gone through their 100+ point check and that's why they can warranty it for a year.  It's cobblers as we know, you're basically paying extra as insurance so that if anything crops up in the warranty period, they will sort it.  They don't check anything, just a quick oil change, pre-MOT inspection, sort any issues, fresh MOT, wipe over with a damp cloth and its on the forecourt.  They rely on you spotting any issues prior to sale and asking for them to be sorted as a condition of sale.  All dealers are the same, if you think Porsche are any different then I'm afraid you've fallen for their (very effective) marketing bullshyate.

Guilty as charged :-(

Okay... NEXT TIME I'll know better. Anyway it looks like all the problems are getting sorted. Okay I could have done without the 3 weeks of constant emails and emotion :-(

25 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

Guilty as charged :-(

Okay... NEXT TIME I'll know better. Anyway it looks like all the problems are getting sorted. Okay I could have done without the 3 weeks of constant emails and emotion :-(

The trouble is the dealers play the percentages, they anticipate that most 2-3 year old cars will have no issues that will be spotted by the new owner.  The odd one that does have some issues they have already factored the cost of those into their bottom line.  It's only you as the customer that loses out.  It's not just Porsche, all main dealers play the same game, they buy in cars with a 'full manufacturers service history' from the lease companies and then market them on as 'fully approved'. 

With the Volvo I'm buying I REALLY did not want to have to buy from Volvo themselves but I've been looked for a very specific spec for a few months now and the ONLY one I've seen in that time has just appeared at a main dealer so my hands are tied.  I know I'm paying £1k-£1.5k more than if I bought it from a independent dealer.  I know I'm paying solely for the shiny premises and the saleman's nice suit.  The car will not be in any way better prepared than if I bought it from anywhere else. Unfortunately my wife (who's car it will be) can't see past the marketing hype.

Porsche do a very good job of persuading you they really care about their cars and their customers.  They don't, they care about their bottom line - that's all.

It's been an interesting introduction to Porsche ownership. As I've previously mentioned I've been Lotus for the last 4 or 5 years and my experience from Lotus dealers has been exemplary. The vehicles were exactly if not better than as described and any after sales help I've needed has been swiftly and effectively sorted. Also, some might not believe this, but I didn't need to purchase an extended warranty (for piece of mind I mean) because the vehicles have been extremely reliable; a faulty windscreen motor on one vehicle that was quickly replaced foc by Lotus but that's been it. Saying that I'm starting to come around to the idea of a Porsche. I would defend the idea that, push-comes-to-shove, with the right driver, the Lotus equivalent (Elise S-CR for example) is faster and more nimble around a track but that's not really, IMHO, what the Boxster is about. The Boxster is a very capable B road car that adds an extra level of comfort (okay a lot of extra comfort) and day-to-day practicalness that the Lotus is lacking and it can still be a bit of fun on a track day if you want, and that's what I was after. It's horses for courses but to my mind the Boxster is a much nicer car to live with and that's what I was after.

37 minutes ago, solwisesteve said:

It's been an interesting introduction to Porsche ownership. As I've previously mentioned I've been Lotus for the last 4 or 5 years and my experience from Lotus dealers has been exemplary. The vehicles were exactly if not better than as described and any after sales help I've needed has been swiftly and effectively sorted. Also, some might not believe this, but I didn't need to purchase an extended warranty (for piece of mind I mean) because the vehicles have been extremely reliable; a faulty windscreen motor on one vehicle that was quickly replaced foc by Lotus but that's been it. Saying that I'm starting to come around to the idea of a Porsche. I would defend the idea that, push-comes-to-shove, with the right driver, the Lotus equivalent (Elise S-CR for example) is faster and more nimble around a track but that's not really, IMHO, what the Boxster is about. The Boxster is a very capable B road car that adds an extra level of comfort (okay a lot of extra comfort) and day-to-day practicalness that the Lotus is lacking and it can still be a bit of fun on a track day if you want, and that's what I was after. It's horses for courses but to my mind the Boxster is a much nicer car to live with and that's what I was after.

That is exactly how the cars are positioned and they are best in class (of course I would say that).

I'm glad you've found your happy ending. If you'd like to join one of our regular Northern Run outs on a  Saturday (breakfast runs) you'd be most welcome and you'll get to enjoy your Boxster experience with like-minded enthusiasts. 

We do Dales way runs from Near your Local Leeds Lotus Dealer, and Peak District Runs from just off J24 M62. If you know some good roads out in East Riding, I'm sure we could be tempted out that way! 

My Boxster came from Hornsea (collected it in Beverley at the Station. I think there's some good links to the North Yorks Moors, right? 

Good that you are able to move on and enjoy the car. In general my experience is that there is no such thing as a "standard" in terms of pre-delivery prep from an OPC apart from needing to satisfy Porsches minimum - how any issues are dealt with will determine who you buy from next. Some examples from me, bought a used 991S from the Tonbridge OPC and noticed when I got home (80 miles away) that the lacquer on one wheel was peeling off - their response was a loan car for a week (another 991) and a refurbed alloy, no debate from them. Bought a used 987S from Porsche Soliull ( a few years back), when I went to collect it I noticed a very minor ding on the passenger door (only noticeable due to the reflection of some vertical strakes from the floor matting), their response was to loan me a CaymanR for a week and refusal to redliver the car to me until the paintwork had been redone after the first effort wasnt up to the salesguys expectation. In the latter case my car was redilvered with a full fuel tank and in both cases the OPC came to collect my car and delivered it back. My current 981S from Bristol OPC had a nasty stone chip on the bonnet that I didnt notice until I got home but in this case I couldnt be bothered with the hassle of complaining so fixed it locally; I then found that the MOT cert wasnt with the papwerwork and on calling them they admitted that they had fogotten to do the MOT but there was still a few months left on the old one, they offered to do the MOT for me but a 100 mile drive to and from Bristol on the M4 wasnt my idea of fun so I declined and asked them to send the MOT certificate to me, it didnt arrive, I emailed them, no response and a follow up call from me resulted in the response "I've been busy selling so many cars that I dont have time to reply to emails but but I'll put it on the post"...I still havent got it eight months later. Now hazzard a guess of the three OPC's mentioned who will be bottom of the list for my next piece of business...

Final anecdote, I bought a BMW 528 (E39) unseen using the BMW website from a dealer in Sterling - a long drive but their price was good and the car looked great on paper. When I arrived to collect it the sales manager came to meet me and explained that the rear bumper was found during prep to have a small crack in it; he told me to take it to my local dealer in Northampton in those days and get them to fit a new bumper and NOT to accept a repair, the bill would be passed back to Sterling. Interestingly Northampton suggested a repair would be adequate but did as The guy in Sterling insisted and fitted a new bumper and with paint it cost around £800. Although I have never had the need to go back to the guy in Sterling, I recall the experience vividly and keep it as an example of how car dealers should react to a customer with an issue.

Keith

Tonbridge have always treated me well.  Service and parts depts have been brilliant with some of my less than orthodox requests.  I've never managed to buy a car from them, but I'm sure it will happen, one day. ;) 

No... The brakes were sorted in a couple of days but it's been in the body shop for the last three days!! Just emailed Leeds about half an hour ago for an update. tbh it's snowing here now so I wouldn't be driving BUT, I agree, this has been going on too darn long :-(

Sorry to hear that it is still ongoing, but if it has been in the body shop for 3 days it should be top dollar when it does arrive back.

3 hours ago, solwisesteve said:

There's always a comedian isn't there? ;-)

:laugh:  I'm sorry, but I've been following this and admire your ability to treat comments here with such a measured approach. B) 

Mine will have been at the OPC for 11 days to have a major service and rear bumper painted. If they want it for that long whilst I drive their 718 loaner then fine by me :) I know it's hard, but try and relax and just think about how sorted it will be when you get it back. If it's not sorted when you pick it up then go bat shyate crazy! :P

Archived