So, 981 prices seem to be staying strong.....

Simo_UK

Just browsing the market, as you do.  Seems like prices for a well spec'd 981 have held firm for about 12-18 months.

You could attribute this to the "quick, the 4 pot is coming.....", but it does seem to have had an effect.

Firstly, decent examples are really thin on the ground.  Yes, you can get a 981 for sub £30k, with minimal extras and in a 'unique/acquired' colour combination.

But if you're after a well spec'd 981S for example, if you can find one, you're still looking at nearly £40k regardless of age.

Makes me feel good about my investment, especially as I have that itch to buy something new/else/different :huh::mellow::D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Yeh I'm sure prices will be really firm until about 1 month before I decide to sell at which point the bottom will have fallen out of the market.

You've been to the same stock trading school as me then!!

Since getting mine, I've been keeping an eye out for a decent spec 981 S Manual with PSE.....more chance of me buying Rocking Horse Poo. Before I bought mine there we loads about....

I reckon they'll stay strong for another couple of years until used 718's start coming on the market in greater numbers. At that point, the residuals of the 718 will put the ceiling on the 981 prices as most buyers are not that bothered about the 6/4 cylinder engine debate and will just want the most contemporary look.

Hopefully then they'll plummet in price to £10k and I'll buy one?

2 hours ago, CMA said:

Since getting mine, I've been keeping an eye out for a decent spec 981 S Manual with PSE.....more chance of me buying Rocking Horse Poo. Before I bought mine there we loads about....

Happily sell you mine in 14 months :)

1 hour ago, Nobbie said:

I reckon they'll stay strong for another couple of years until used 718's start coming on the market in greater numbers. At that point, the residuals of the 718 will put the ceiling on the 981 prices as most buyers are not that bothered about the 6/4 cylinder engine debate and will just want the most contemporary look.

Not necessarily,  after all 996 prices didn't put the ceiling on 993 prices,  10 year old 981 prices could easily exceed 8 year old 718 prices we just don't know at this point, but I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that 981 residuals will overtake 718 at some point simply due to the additional enthusiast interest.

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

Not necessarily,  after all 996 prices didn't put the ceiling on 993 prices,  10 year old 981 prices could easily exceed 8 year old 718 prices we just don't know at this point, but I think there's a better than 50/50 chance that 981 residuals will overtake 718 at some point simply due to the additional enthusiast interest.

After driving a 718 for past 3 days I'd be inclined to agree  (as an enthusiast) .

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

Yes, I see your point, but I think the effect of enthusiasts on Boxster prices is fairly limited as they are a more mainstream choice over the 911. On a more general note, is it just me, or have all Boxsters kept their value over the last year? I always keep an eye on the later 986S and they seem pretty steady, as do 987.2 cars.

29 minutes ago, Simo_UK said:

Seems that way - across the whole OPC network, they only have 19 Boxster S's in stock.

And I think only 2 of those were manuals when I last looked.....

A couple things seem to jump out? The build wait for the 718 making potential owners look elsewhere its happened on this forum and the cost of a new one? I had a budget to buy a boxster last year and the 718 is much more expensive so you either cough up and wait 10 months or buy a secondhand one for much less and no waiting.

I would use the term "enthusiast" loosely as if the original Porsche enthusiasts had their way the boxster would never have been built? Devalued the brand apparently too cheap!

some people in the market for a new (ish) boxster never even bothered costing up a 718 ;-)

Never one to promote prices lol I'm confortable with my choice of "last of the aircooled" and "last of the none turbo" cars sat in my garage

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Yes, I see your point, but I think the effect of enthusiasts on Boxster prices is fairly limited as they are a more mainstream choice over the 911. On a more general note, is it just me, or have all Boxsters kept their value over the last year? I always keep an eye on the later 986S and they seem pretty steady, as do 987.2 cars.

The current effect of enthusiasts is low correct, but given the current new options of turbo 911 or turbo 718  or NA flat 6 in old Boxsters/caymans and 911s we will likely see plenty of those turn to the NA option IMO.   I expect this will similarly boost the 986/987 residuals as well which can't be far from being recognised as an undervalued classic.

I think the wait may put some off from ordering the 718 while other people may be attracted by the perceived 'exclusiveness' of a car that you have to wait a year for. my suspicion is that those who have placed orders may find the OPC ringing up with the good news that its available a couple of months early.

When I bought my 986 the list was apparently 18 months long but it miraculously reduced to a year once they had my order. The excuse was the turn down in the Asian economy which was at least a real phenomenon.

I 'feel' that the higher price of the 718 will lead to more stock cars, with dealers filling unused build slots rather than loose them, and the price of these cars will be lower when sold but it will mean that the 'new' price will be maintained.

Its just what the mass producers do, sell cars to people who insist on new at list, while selling virtually new cars at a significant discount.  

Finding a nicely specified 981s is not an easy task after months of searching I ended up buying mine the morning it was advertised on the locator and travelled some distance to collect it! Even then the spec isn't quite perfect but it's as close I was going to get .

If you were searching for the perfect manual car I think you'd be waiting even longer.

My plan was to watch the market from October last year and purchase December/Jan 2017. I have done this and will pick the car in two weeks :-)

Since the middle of Jan AT/PH adverts have been pinging on my iPhone to the tune of more than £3k what I have paid. I saw one in the dealer for £6k more!

Admittedly, mine is fully spec'd which includes the obvious SC, PASM, PDK and PSE. I never thought I'd find one but patience paid off.

Roll on Monday 20 Feb! :D

11 minutes ago, michelin said:

Admittedly, mine is fully spec'd which includes the obvious SC, PASM, PDK and PSE. I never thought I'd find one but patience paid off.

Roll on Monday 20 Feb! :D

Nice one. Pics when you get it :D

Archived