So, 981 prices seem to be staying strong.....

Simo_UK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, CPS said:

I've decided to run a live experiment by advertising mine on PH for what I bought it for last year. 

Who knows I might even be tempted to sell it :rolleyes:.

Probably get a bite or 2, to those that want a modern flat 6 and no turbo lark.

7 hours ago, michelin said:

My plan was to watch the market from October last year and purchase December/Jan 2017. I have done this and will pick the car in two weeks :-)

Since the middle of Jan AT/PH adverts have been pinging on my iPhone to the tune of more than £3k what I have paid. I saw one in the dealer for £6k more!

Admittedly, mine is fully spec'd which includes the obvious SC, PASM, PDK and PSE. I never thought I'd find one but patience paid off.

Roll on Monday 20 Feb! :D

Sounds like mine what colour?

1 hour ago, 718as said:

Do you thank 6MT 981's will be more desirable than PDK in future?

probably not....the same philosophy as buying a car in say bright orange or yellow...

...puts a lot of people off BUT those looking for a bright colour seek them out so the chance of sale is overall unaffected..

1 hour ago, 718as said:

That is partly why I bought mine at the time that I did. I never wanted anything other than a manual car with performance orientated options of PSE/PASM and Chrono mind. I did have a feeling that I could run it for 18 months and not lose too much money though. That wasn't the main reason for my purchase, purely a bonus if it happens. 

2 minutes ago, boxsternoob56 said:

probably not....the same philosophy as buying a car in say bright orange or yellow...

...puts a lot of people off BUT those looking for a bright colour seek them out so the chance of sale is overall unaffected..

Id go along with this. I had loads of dealers telling me I was mad to be buying a BMW 335i petrol in a Manual as nobody wanted them they all wanted Autos. I didnt want an auto and I knew there would be other driving enthusiasts out there like me wanting the same. Advertised mine privately after 24 months and had a dozen people interested to come and view from all over the UK as it was the only manual available at the time. Lost £2k for 24 months driving and it came with service pack so running costs amounted to £150

29 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Id go along with this. I had loads of dealers telling me I was mad to be buying a BMW 335i petrol in a Manual as nobody wanted them they all wanted Autos. I didnt want an auto and I knew there would be other driving enthusiasts out there like me wanting the same. Advertised mine privately after 24 months and had a dozen people interested to come and view from all over the UK as it was the only manual available at the time. Lost £2k for 24 months driving and it came with service pack so running costs amounted to £150

All being well, the way things are going you will make £2k on your 981 over the next 24months?

1 hour ago, 718as said:

I think it will, simply due to the rarity and thee will always be people looking for manuals, sure it will put some off but I think that is outweighed by the low manual availability.

39 minutes ago, Leonard said:

That is partly why I bought mine at the time that I did. I never wanted anything other than a manual car with performance orientated options of PSE/PASM and Chrono mind. I did have a feeling that I could run it for 18 months and not lose too much money though. That wasn't the main reason for my purchase, purely a bonus if it happens. 

I would dispute your description of PSE as a performance option.:P

I bought at an OPC with near 3 years of warranty so I would think there is zero chance of being able to sell in say 2 years for anything approaching what I paid. A private buyer would likeley have better luck.

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

I would dispute your description of PSE as a performance option.:P

I bought at an OPC with near 3 years of warranty so I would think there is zero chance of being able to sell in say 2 years for anything approaching what I paid. A private buyer would likeley have better luck.

LOL you need PSE ;)

I bought mine from OPC and it was the lowest priced Boxster S in the UK at the time, but arguably one of the best specced. Add in they did a Major service and gave it 2 years warranty, should hopefully be an easy sell if I wanted to sell it in 18 months (6 months to minor service, 6 months Porsche warranty)

I know that wont be case for everyone buying from OPC but there are good deals to be found from time to time :) (not rubbing it in! lol)

1 minute ago, Greenman said:

Especially if you buy in deepest winter rather than June!

Ahhh yes I did do that and yes you did do the June/Summer thing... :D 

Bet you enjoyed your car a lot more than I have been enjoying mine though lol. 5 weeks driving in the dark and now 2 weeks with it sat at the dealers..:blink:

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

LOL you need PSE ;)

Oh yes :D

I didnt notice much difference on the winter/summer prices when I was looking. Bought mine in March and almost hit my 10000 mile insurance limit already....next year will have 12-15k I think.

On 08/02/2017 at 7:24 AM, Leonard said:

Lol what on here or just picking up the car in general? :D

Not on here, no way! :-) Just getting the car. Its going straight into storage anyway for some leisurely detailing. 

I've already ordered:

Duragloss

Iron X

Clearkote Quikshine

LTT. Leather detailing packing by this company. Judy knows her stuff! The leather inside is gorgeous so I will make sure its cleaned and treated properly.

On Wed Feb 08 2017 at 7:03 AM, michelin said:

Sure will. Slightly nervous for some reason, don't know why :D

1 hour ago, michelin said:

Not on here, no way! :-) Just getting the car. 

Well don't forget some pics. Sounds like mine spec wise bar having PDK :)

On 2/8/2017 at 7:24 AM, Leonard said:

Lol what on here or just picking up the car in general? :D

2 hours ago, michelin said:

Not on here, no way! :-) 

Another lamb to the slaughter. :vampire:

You'd better make sure the drive is weeded, shrubbery trimmed and you're not wearing anything we can rip into when we see your reflection in the car. :) 

I'm on the lookout for a 981 S in my choice of colour and options and they're very thin on the ground. I've got two OPC's looking for me and I'm checking out the usual websites too. I'm in no rush but there's not many out there compared to 987's and the good ones are still commanding a premium. 

3 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

I'm on the lookout for a 981 S in my choice of colour and options and they're very thin on the ground. I've got two OPC's looking for me and I'm checking out the usual websites too. I'm in no rush but there's not many out there compared to 987's and the good ones are still commanding a premium. 

Thats why I took the lazy route and jumped in a GTS. Finding an S in the right colour, PDK, PASM, sport chrono, PSE, etc... was proving impossible. I figured I'm just tying up more capital in the purchase but the total cost of ownership will be no more than an S.

On 08/02/2017 at 2:40 PM, 718as said:

Curtained commanding a premium considering there is no discernible difference in price if one came on the market considering the £2k PDK option.

Archived