3.2 or 3.4 ?

villaman

On 2/17/2017 at 4:00 AM, villaman said:

Thanks guys...plenty of food fir thought.

its great to read the differing opinions...I too have swung from keep the 2.7, which I've spent a small fortune on in 12 months..

or "upgrade" to an S .?

im still not sure...a gen 2 would be wonderful, but I'd have to also sell the kids into slavery....

Ggrrrrrrrr ?

Sell them. It will be character building for them and one day they will thank you for your sacrifice. If the funds also get you a 3.4, well can't see what the hesitation is.......win win all around I'd say.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, onedesi said:

It's difficult to comment without having an idea of budget but I would say a switch to gen 2 will feel like an upgrade whereas an engine change may just feel like a sideways st p.

I would agree with the above with the Gen II giving you an upgrade that at least has some visual differences as well however minor those maybe, it might help with justification as well ^_^, I would certainly see if you can find one to have a look at first. My previous was a 2.9 and I went for that after considering a few others but felt the 2.9 was the safer all round option. But obviously this is only any use if it still fit in budget, although mine didn't at the time as it had at least a 25% buget creap!

May I please ask your advise on  a rebuild engine?

ive been to look at an 60k mile 3.4 which had a rebuild at Porsche, and a new clutch.

would you chaps recommend this be given a swerve....or..as it was done at Porsche..could this be a contender?

id welcome your thoughts guys as it looks tip top.

3 minutes ago, villaman said:

May I please ask your advise on  a rebuild engine?

ive been to look at an 60k mile 3.4 which had a rebuild at Porsche, and a new clutch.

would you chaps recommend this be given a swerve....or..as it was done at Porsche..could this be a contender?

id welcome your thoughts guys as it looks tip top.

I wasn't aware that Porsche did rebuilds? I thought they just swapped out engines. You'd need to know exactly what the problem was and what was rebuilt to get an idea of whether it's worth buying. Presumably they'll be some sort of warranty on the engine?

Thanks..well I'm gong to have a look  in more detail  tomorrow, so I'll check who and when the rebuild was done.

I'm inclined  to give it a miss..but ive read  on some threads that there is a certain inevitably about  a rebuild on a modest to high mileage 3.4.  

7 minutes ago, villaman said:

I'm inclined  to give it a miss..but ive read  on some threads that there is a certain inevitably about  a rebuild on a modest to high mileage 3.4.  

Umm where did you read that? Only factor on a very few is Bore Score..Certainly no more inevitable than IMS bearing on the earlier engines. My 3.4 has just gone over 110,000 miles so maybe I should expect it to explode any second ;)

There's been some discussion on this forum about the longevity of an engine and some members have stated that there is an inevitability , say 100 k plus, that  the 3.4 block will need a rebuild ?

1 minute ago, villaman said:

There's been some discussion on this forum about the longevity of an engine and some members have stated that there is an inevitability , say 100 k plus, that  the 3.4 block will need a rebuild ?

I wouldn't go that far, noone can be certain of these things.

That aside, I certainly wouldn't let a replacement engine put me off a car, they can fail for all sorts of reasons.

In the real world, my 987.2 Boxster feels as fast as my previous 996.1 911, despite being 45 bhp down.  I think there's something to be said for the lower powered models on normal roads.  One can give more welly without breaking speed limits.

Ok..to finish off the story..

i ended up getting a 3.2 S as it was to good to turn down cost wise.

Ive previously had a 3.2 S 986 and had forgotten just how much more torque these engines have over the 2.7 . Whilst i love my 987 2.7, (i will actually  feel quite sad to see her go, not least as the £2500 ive spent on her in 12 months wont be recovered !!  :unsure: , ....but  ..... the 3.2 just has greater urgency and is actually plenty quick enough for my driving skills.

(A big thank you to Cotswold Porsche for their help)

http://imgur.com/NfdMiul

On 2/19/2017 at 11:32 PM, ChristopherF said:

In the real world, my 987.2 Boxster feels as fast as my previous 996.1 911, despite being 45 bhp down.  I think there's something to be said for the lower powered models on normal roads.  One can give more welly without breaking speed limits.

That's known as "using more of the available power more of the time". Keep saying that I can't see the point of most cars over around 400bhp apart from willy waving in a pub conversation, i reckon around 300bhp or so is the magic figure for most people on most roads. 

2 hours ago, Southy said:

cracking looking car, well done :)

cheers Southy....she's a bit of a poverty Porsche to be honest....but as my wife said...you've got your company car for that..

im now planning on what to do with her (not the wife).. , so as a starter for 10

1) Front DLR's (The OEM looking ones)

2) Maybe some new Black Wheels

3) Stone Chip repairs

4) Im considering the Rear LED lights ?

5) I may also put a red roof on her ,..from one of this site sponsors ;)

6) New Stereo / Speaker system

I think that should keep me busy (and skint) for a while.

On 2/23/2017 at 5:00 PM, villaman said:

5) I may also put a red roof on her ,..from one of this site sponsors ;)

Douglas Valley had a red roof for a Gen2 for sale complete with cartridge.  I'm not sure if it would fit, but see no reason why it wouldn't.

I saw that it was listed for a 987.2 but I can't think of any change between Gen1 and Gen2.  If you're interested then it's got to be worth a call to ask if they know. :)

That didn't take you long. :lol:  

Worst case scenario, you can advertise it on the red roof thread if it doesn't fit. :) 

Archived