3.2 or 3.4 ?

villaman

I'm sure this subject has probably been discussed on this forum.

Indeed, I can find a couple of good reviews on some forums such as Planet9, but I thought I would ask my fellow BoXa.net members on their thoughts.

im going to upgrade my 987 2.7 for the S. I've got my eye on a couple of 3.2's which are within my budget...however...at a stretch, I might just be able to afford the 3.4 if I either pimp out the Mrs or sell the family silver.

i am though one of those people that would say to my self " you should get the best example one can afford" ...ha...or not ?

in reality and non-track terms...is  the extra cost of the 3.4 justified ?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Southy said:

for me if I could stretch for either I'd opt for the 3.4 - more BHP it's all about power! :)

Keep the 2.7.  It's all about the corners, and none is quicker than another. ^_^ 

3 minutes ago, Araf said:

Keep the 2.7.  It's all about the corners, and none is quicker than another. ^_^ 

but in the back of his mind it will be saying, would this have been better with more POWER!

plus the extra torque is what I like as I'm lazy

your money and choice etc, but do think about when you are actually use the power and how happy you are with the old car.

I had a similar thought process with my TVR and ended up with a significantly faster car that proved to be less enjoyable and after a few essentials, cost me about the price of the boxster on top of the sale price of my old 400. Sure on the odd occasions when the roads are dry and the tyres warm it is incredible but if I had my time again, I would not of changed.

Thanks guys...plenty of food fir thought.

its great to read the differing opinions...I too have swung from keep the 2.7, which I've spent a small fortune on in 12 months..

or "upgrade" to an S .?

im still not sure...a gen 2 would be wonderful, but I'd have to also sell the kids into slavery....

Ggrrrrrrrr ?

I can understand your dilemma, I had a 2.7 gen 1 987 and absolutely loved that car, it really was fantastic fun and always put a smile on my face. Perhaps you should try and drive both cars back to back to help you decide? That said you only live once and money is still relatively cheap given the low interest rates, so if it's an itch that needs scratching and it's something you want to do and can afford then I think that you should go for it. Good luck and best wishes for whatever you decide.

Cheers MD7 ..I'm using the male calculator which seems to suggest I might be able to get a 3 4...but yes..whilst I've previously owned a 986 S, I've never driven the 3.4.

oh man...I don't know.

i went into the garage last night and felt guilty when I looked at my 2.7 ..as if I'd betrayed her with an affair..ha.?

If you've spent a ton of money on the 2.7 then I would think you'll spend a ton of money on the replacement too.  Some of us are like that. :blush2: 

Unless there's still plenty more to spend on the 2.7 you'd do well to keep it and enjoy the fruits of your labours.

If going to a Gen.II, 2.9 is all you'll need, and I'd say it would be a more worthwhile upgrade than same Gen different engine size.

You also get the option of the PDK box which, as mentioned on a different thread, cuts your acceleration times further and makes the car feel as fast as the previous larger engined models.

I simply can't believe no-one's mentioned bore-scoring yet... :whistle: 

Are we helping at all? :D

Ha...yes...kind of ..ha.

these are the questions that I've had rattling around in my head which I'm trying to organise into some sort of decision.

im aware of the increased bore scoring potential on the 3.4 vs 2.7 and maybe 3.2....this will of course open another can of worms...

ill have to check my finances ...the Gen 2 might just be to difficult to justify cost wise with the wife a weekend luxury.....

1 hour ago, villaman said:

the Gen 2 might just be to difficult to justify cost wise with the wife a weekend luxury.....

Ditch the wife then, if she's just a weekend luxury. ;) 

I have had both the 3.2 and 3.4 litre versions of the 987... obviously the 3.4 is faster... not a lot after all its 15bhp more, but it is more responsive on initial acceleration from any speed. Be aware though that after a certain date the 3.4 costs £500 a year road tax

38 minutes ago, Bike Loon said:

Be aware though that after a certain date the 3.4 costs £500 a year road tax

That's all 3.4 gen1s and all 3.2s after 23rd March 2006.

20 minutes ago, Araf said:

That's all 3.4 gen1s and all 3.2s after 23rd October 2006.

Actually, the relevant date is 23rd March 2006.  I remember this because my 987 2.7 Tiptronic was first registered in August 2006 and was classified Band L because it's CO2 exceeded 225 g/km.  Had it been registered before the March date, it would automatically have been in Band K.

Any Boxster first registered before 23rd March 2006 is classified Band K, irrespective of its CO2 emissions. Any Boxster registered after that date will be Band K or Band L, depending on whether or not its CO2 emissions exceed 225g/km, so you will need to check the V5 to be sure.

Hope this is helpful. ☺

Just now, Daniel Joseph said:

Actually, the relevant date is 23rd March 2006.  

I know that, you know that, why did I write October? :unsure: 

I've amended my post but not your quote of it.

For the record, the only Gen1 Boxster that managed to scrape into band K after 23rd April was the 5 speed manual 2.7 from MY07 (Sept 2006) which started to use the Cayman 2.7 engine.  Even the 6 speed is not economical enough.

On 17/02/2017 at 10:07 PM, Boxstercol said:

I doubt in real world driving there is much difference in the performance of a 3.2 against a 3.4.

Its the torque spread that makes the difference. More torque more of the time is what you notice - not the second quicker to 100mph.

Archived