981 Door Speakers

CMA

Noticed the other day that I have no mid range or bass from the passenger side door (or the passenger side) just a lot of treble, anyone had this before and any likely culprit component or wiring?

Going to strip the door down but it will be a few weeks before I can start that. Any tips or pointers?

10 hours ago, CMA said:

Noticed the other day that I have no mid range or bass from the passenger side door (or the passenger side) just a lot of treble, anyone had this before and any likely culprit component or wiring?

Going to strip the door down but it will be a few weeks before I can start that. Any tips or pointers?

I had this on the drivers side.  However, mine turned out to be a very simple fix - make sure the Bluetooth receiver is properly plugged into the aux connection!  Hope yours is as simple :)

9 hours ago, Stark said:

I personally think that Bose sounds better than the Burmeister. Just in case anyone is wondering :)

A kazoo wrapped in cotton wool sounds better than what I currently have :)

13 hours ago, Nath said:

I had this on the drivers side.  However, mine turned out to be a very simple fix - make sure the Bluetooth receiver is properly plugged into the aux connection!  Hope yours is as simple :)

Not sure I have this to check. Is this in the glove box? If so I only have a 3.5mm line in nothing else in there (poverty spec 981)

1 hour ago, Nath said:

No it's an extra bit you would add yourself.  I also only have poverty spec with a 3.5mm so use a Bluetooth adapter plugged into that.

Ah, I do have a 3.5mm cable plugged in there so that might be it. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Which bluetooth adaptor do you have? or any recomendaions? Probably better than the cable I currently have

On a related topic, my 981 is equipped with the optional, DAB radio, CDR Plus and Sound Package Plus, but I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed with the quality of the audio, particularly as this is supposed to be an upgrade over the standard package. It's not bad, per se, but it's not as good as I remember the Bose system on my former 987.  It seems to struggle with bass notes and I think I know why:  I have noticed that, unlike the Bose 987 setup, there are no speakers behind the grilles in the rear bulkhead, immediately behind the seats.  Apparently, these are reserved for the top spec (Burmester?) sound package.

I wonder if there is any way to retrofit a couple of additional speakers to improve the existing system?  I'm no audiophile,  so not interested in spending a fortune on an upgrade.

1 hour ago, Daniel Joseph said:

On a related topic, my 981 is equipped with the optional, DAB radio, CDR Plus and Sound Package Plus, but I have to say I'm a bit underwhelmed with the quality of the audio, particularly as this is supposed to be an upgrade over the standard package. It's not bad, per se, but it's not as good as I remember the Bose system on my former 987.  It seems to struggle with bass notes and I think I know why:  I have noticed that, unlike the Bose 987 setup, there are no speakers behind the grilles in the rear bulkhead, immediately behind the seats.  Apparently, these are reserved for the top spec (Burmester?) sound package.

I wonder if there is any way to retrofit a couple of additional speakers to improve the existing system?  I'm no audiophile,  so not interested in spending a fortune on an upgrade.

I agree with these comments as I have the exact same system and would also be interested in improving the sound - maybe a subwoofer is the answer?

2 hours ago, Daniel Joseph said:

I've got speakers behind my seats and it's the Bose upgraded system. Not boasting, just saying!

• 2 months later...

It should be fairly easy to add rear speakers, I say that because the Cayman has them fitted with sound package plus.  Hopefully a case of buying the Cayman rear speaker loom and or running speaker wiring, from the speakers to the amplifier under the drivers seat.

The issue is that the pcm most likely won't let you adjust fade as that feature wont be coded, but shouldn't stop them working.

On 27/02/2017 at 11:54 PM, mdunderwood said:

I've got speakers behind my seats and it's the Bose upgraded system. Not boasting, just saying!

I also have Bose in 981, these speakers do exist but they don't seem to add a great deal to the sound, most of what matters is coming from the door and dash speakers. Overall the Bose system is ok, it doesn't suffer too much from the flabby base that seems to be prevelant in many car systems. 

I find the Bose in my 986 to be significantly more treble and bass and little mid range.  With my aftermarket head unit I can adjust this with it's inbuilt equaliser,  Does the PCM in the new cars have this feature ?

I plan to buy a 981, hence my question.  Bose was on my option wish list, however I'll remove it if I can't  do the above.

I used to be a big Bose fan with both cars and home, I've since found much better available for both and strangely my preferences are both UK companies !

8 minutes ago, Patt said:

Thanks Ian - Bose has just moved down the priority list.

I'm not an audio junkie, but I thought the basic system was awful, SSP was marginally better, but it was only with BOSE I could get sound from behind to balance the overall sound in the cabin.  I just did not bother looking at cars without Bose.

You need to sit in cars with the options and decide for yourself

11 hours ago, Greenman said:

I also have Bose in 981, these speakers do exist but they don't seem to add a great deal to the sound, most of what matters is coming from the door and dash speakers. Overall the Bose system is ok, it doesn't suffer too much from the flabby base that seems to be prevelant in many car systems. 

Do you have the system set to surround sound?

I've tried with and without surround, I'm currently with surround on, and the rear speakers do seem to help with this. However when I previously had a play with the fade / balance controls I found the rear speakers were much more frequency limited than those at the front, sure they can add some directional info but most of the quality is coming from the front.

Archived