Hit a badger ?

Spinjim

Driving home Thursday a badger made a bid for the other side of the road right in front of me. 

Needless to say it didn't make it and now residing with its maker, didn't think it did any damage at the time but 

17190902_10155093965332363_1454497590351

Seems to have broken the radiator plastic 

Jim

3 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Unlucky Jim, must be the time of year. I've seen loads of dead badgers at the side my local roads over the last couple of weeks.

Probably just the farmers doing illegal culling...

9 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Probably just the farmers doing illegal culling...

That's what I've heard previously.

i think they're fascinating creatures and I felt really bad about killing one (even when I saw the state of my car).

Defintiely one to avoid, they have the consistency of a concrete bollard.

Around these parts, it's muntjac deer that can be a real hazard:

QZKlD0r.jpg

On a couple of occasions when driving at night on country roads, I've had one of these leap out from the hedgerow directly in front of my car.  I managed not to hit them, but they gave me a hell of a fright.  You do see their corpses on the roadside quite often.  They're sturdy little buggers, so I can only imagine the damage they might do if you hit them.

3 minutes ago, Daniel Joseph said:

Around these parts, it's muntjac deer that can be a real hazard:

QZKlD0r.jpg

On a couple of occasions when driving at night on country roads, I've had one of these leap out from the hedgerow directly in front of my car.  I managed not to hit them, but they gave me a hell of a fright.  You do see their corpses on the roadside quite often.  They're sturdy little buggers, so I can only imagine the damage they might do if you hit them.

Get these in my garden all the time,  little feckers shyate everywhere and chew all the plants. 

14 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Get these in my garden all the time,  little feckers shyate everywhere and chew all the plants. 

Yes, we used to have that problem when we lived in the country.  They are really destructive little buggers and their numbers seem to be increasing rapidly   

Happily, we now have a walled garden in town...?

11 hours ago, thanatoid said:

Wonder what they taste like ?  :-)

badger burgers ,who knows may catch on

13 hours ago, mike597 said:

Badgers are not something you want to hit at speed they can cause some proper damage. 

Agreed.

Not as bad as hitting a wild boar though... Those things are built like tanks!

4 hours ago, mike597 said:

They like to relax in my backyard too. I'm thinking of charging them park entrance fees...

DA97BE53-4A45-4EC6-AA9F-D600AED27F26_zps

6 hours ago, boxtaboy said:

They like to relax in my backyard too. I'm thinking of charging them park entrance fees...

DA97BE53-4A45-4EC6-AA9F-D600AED27F26_zps

That's bigger than a Muntjac.  Looks more like the size of the red deer we have here.

Nice wheels, BTW.  Grill looks a little Caddyesque but apart from that... :plane: 

13 minutes ago, Araf said:

That's bigger than a Muntjac.  Looks more like the size of the red deer we have here.

Nice wheels, BTW.  Grill looks a little Caddyesque but apart from that... :plane: 

Haha, thanks. Yeah, my little boy likes his cars just like his daddy.

The deer is pretty big. I hope I don't run into one on the road!

558FF773-EE9E-44B5-85F9-F2ADA88FEFB4_zps

• 2 weeks later...

This pheasant did not do my 996 turbo much good.

Bumper, radiator, ac condenser etc.

It's head left a 50p sized dent in the fire wall behind the headlight.

Not saying how quick I was going at the time.:ph34r:

Porsche vs Pheasant.jpg

15 minutes ago, Kilham5 said:

This pheasant did not do my 996 turbo much good.

Bumper, radiator, ac condenser etc.

It's head left a 50p sized dent in the fire wall behind the headlight.

Not saying how quick I was going at the time.:ph34r:

Nice mess!

I was driving a brand new delivered that week BMW 5 (company car) a couple of years back.  M4 outside lane.  I watched a pheasant run across from the hard shoulder directly into my path.

Nice impact at that speed and when I looked later on I had the perfect outline of the stupid birds head and beak as an impression on the lower part of the bumper to remind me of this for the rest of the time I had the car :) 

No gory pictures I am afraid!

My daughter hit a swan on the M25.......she says she was only doing 70mph in the middle lane at the time........she stopped at the next exit (just a few miles) and the car never started again after, it was a complete write off.

Bumper split in half under the left lamp.....left lamp no longer there!....radiator and AC condenser completely destroyed, alloy crash bar deformed about three inches, and due to the running on for the few miles with NO water at all in the system the engine was seized solid.  She loved that nice old Citroen BX Turbo.......never again though.

Those Swans are bl00dy big heavy birds!!!!

Driving to work a few years back & what felt like a glancing blow from a pheasant turned into a new bonnet & several hundred pounds worth of paint!!

I live close to Cannock Chase & we get everything from deer to mountain bikers trying to throw themselves in front of us ;-)

80%20mph%20into%20Pheasant_zps28zjxj0p.j

4 minutes ago, Boxbrownie said:

My daughter hit a swan on the M25.......she says she was only doing 70mph in the middle lane at the time........she stopped at the next exit (just a few miles) and the car never started again after, it was a complete write off.

Bumper split in half under the left lamp.....left lamp no longer there!....radiator and AC condenser completely destroyed, alloy crash bar deformed about three inches, and due to the running on for the few miles with NO water at all in the system the engine was seized solid.  She loved that nice old Citroen BX Turbo.......never again though.

Those Swans are bl00dy big heavy birds!!!!

:o

Wow!

Archived