Ordering my Boxster

Jonny A

6 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Colour coded centre caps can be had off eBay for £10-15 so I wouldn't waste my money.   Does 718 come with Nav as standard now? If so you get a speed limit display of sorts based on the GPS info.

i personally wouldn't go with entry and drive due to security issues (not Porsche specifically but known to be a bit of an issue generally)

Apparently its easier to clone a remote key (with key code grabber) whilst in use than a keyless. With a keyless  you have to physically be by the car so transmits for a shorter time than the normal remote key?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MIkeyv60 said:

Apparently its easier to clone a remote key (with key code grabber) whilst in use than a keyless as you have to physically be by the car so transmits for a shorter time?

Possibly, but the transmitted signal that opens the doors isn't what starts the car, so easier to get in the car but much more difficult to drive away with car.

8 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Possibly, but the transmitted signal that opens the doors isn't what starts the car, so easier to get in the car but much more difficult to drive away with car.

All they need is access to the car, they can then start it with a device connected to OBD port,an auto locksmith can make a key from the VIN number with the right equipment. Old keyless were very venerable as they would work when a good distance from the car, new ones you basically have to physically have the key on you and pretty close to the car. Mine doesn't work if my wife puts her bag behind the seat.

Just now, MIkeyv60 said:

With the key code they grab this does have the immobilizer details on it so they can quickly make a key up within minutes. Old keyless were very venerable as they would work when a good distance from the car, new ones you basically have to physically have the key on you and pretty close to the car. Mine doesn't work if my wife puts her bag behind the seat.

It's good to know if they have improved security of this. Keys with inbuilt immobilisers have reduced drive away car thefts to very low levels in recent years, most theft being either stolen keys or putting on a lorry, so clearly the cloning you mention is not so easy.  This trend has only started reversing in recent years with the keyless entry systems, so let's hope these type of systems are  now outfoxing them. 

5 minutes ago, Greenman said:

It's good to know if they have improved security of this. Keys with inbuilt immobilisers have reduced drive away car thefts to very low levels in recent years, most theft being either stolen keys or putting on a lorry, so clearly the cloning you mention is not so easy.  This trend has only started reversing in recent years with the keyless entry systems, so let's hope these type of systems are  now outfoxing them. 

Not so many get stolen without the keys hence houses are getting broken into, but more are now just having goods stolen from inside by cloning the remote key.In December 14 cars were robbed this way at Chievley services. People lock/unlock there car from a distance with the remote, this is the worst thing that you can do

I can add to this topic as I have a Sapphire 718S.

My previous Boxster was cobalt blue, blue roof and blue interior. Looked great. I wanted the same again, as I think the black roof looks a bit out of place on a blue car, and for me the interior in leather is exquisite in blue.

So my spec is; manual gearbox; Sapphire Blue; blue roof; leather interior in blue; 19" wheels with coloured centre caps (they really make a difference visually). Cruise; Connect; DAB radio; heated standard seats (wife and I are the same height so no adjustment is necessary); multifunction heated steering wheel; parking sensors front and rear; folding mirrors; PAS plus; automatic dipping mirrors; Today's price - £58,369 plus the new VED.

I don't do track days, and the car (believe me) is plenty fast in standard mode, so no sport chrono, nor PASM or any of that other 'sporty' stuff. If you want faster, wait until the GTS comes out.

On our Macan  we have plenty of other goodies such as the bi-xenon headlights that swivel around the bends, Connect Plus, satnav, PDK, dual climate control, surround cameras and so on; Would I spec any of it in the Boxster again? Well, the PDK certainly not. In our McCann is just used as an auto box. We never use the flappy paddles. Ever. The surround cameras are absolutely brilliant, but not available on a 718, just reverse camera, and on a loaner I had, the camera just got dirty and was useless. At least in McCann it's up a bit higher. Satnav is now standard so no choice there. Connect plus needs a data sim to enable traffic updates etc and we used Google Earth once. The headlights might be worth an upgrade. Look at Nick Murray's 911 headlight comparison on YouTube if you want to see the difference. One item I didn't notice when configuring the interior was the two tone blue and pebble combination which looks SO nice to me. I would paint the roll over bars as the lads have mentioned. I love adaptive CC, but at over a grand it was just too much for me. Had it in a previous VW and it was brilliant. On the two zone climate, our SE misled us a bit. It should be called auto or climate control or something like that. I thought in a 2-seater it would be like a chocolate fireguard, but on the McCann, we just leave it on Auto and let the fan work away itself. I don't miss it, but I probably would have specced it. The standard audio is pretty good. I tried a few flac/Mp3 comparisons, but my ears couldn't detect much of a difference. Mabye on Bose or Burmeister it would be.

What would I leave out? Apple car play is (at the moment) a gimmick. It disables some of the functions of the multi-function steering wheel so It would be no big loss. Auto dipping mirrors have a gap of about 5mm all the way around the interior mirror and you often get a blinding flash from behind when a following vehicle's beam gets in the undimmed spot. Same with the exterior mirrors. And don't start me on the 'hold' function. Works great with PDK, but with the manual box it is just so wrong. How can Porsche get something so basically simple so wrong?

What I can tell you is that the colour you have chosen is absolutely head turning in the flesh. People often come up and remark that the caris so nice and I put that down to the colour. It's quite different from Cobalt.

On the wheels, the car rides nicely on the standard 19" rims. Bloody pain in the hole to clean, though. I invested in a set of wheel woolies to shorten the time taken.

The new VED will be something hard to swallow when it comes into play tomorrow.

Good luck with your choices. You have until lock down to change your mind and I'm sure everyone will offer their opinion; at the end of the day, it's your car, so choose what you want. Enjoy the experience!

This has been done before but a couple of opinions on PDK.  I had always driven manual so was somewhat reticent about the PDK, but after 9 months with it I have to say it's brilliant. When I go for a 'play' I am always in manual mode, changes are near instant and give you total control whilst keeping hands on the wheel.  I do use auto for tootling around town and it does make thinks much more relaxing.  At the Silverstone Porsche 718 experience I drove PDKs in auto sport and sport+ on track and these also worked brilliantly, I do not however tend to use these on the road as I use manual mode when enjoying myself.   

If I was buying new and was only using my Boxster as a weekend toy I may get manual, if I was using daily then I would likely get PDK. 

Happy Days do you have any snaps of yours including roof/interior ?

23 minutes ago, Greenman said:

This has been done before but a couple of opinions on PDK.  I had always driven manual so was somewhat reticent about the PDK, but after 9 months with it I have to say it's brilliant. When I go for a 'play' I am always in manual mode, changes are near instant and give you total control whilst keeping hands on the wheel.  I do use auto for tootling around town and it does make thinks much more relaxing.  At the Silverstone Porsche 718 experience I drove PDKs in auto sport and sport+ on track and these also worked brilliantly, I do not however tend to use these on the road as I use manual mode when enjoying myself.   

If I was buying new and was only using my Boxster as a weekend toy I may get manual, if I was using daily then I would likely get PDK. 

Happy Days do you have any snaps of yours including roof/interior ?

I'll get some later for you. The blue trinity looks well, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

23 minutes ago, Happy Days said:

I'll get some later for you. The blue trinity looks well, but I would say that, wouldn't I?

Yes you would, or I guess you wouldn't have gone that route. I happen to think the black roof looks great as it links together the interior and the black trim on bodywork and tyres etc, but interested to see how an all blue works.

Speed limit display
£ 236.00

Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor
P13
£ 345.00

Heated multifunction steering wheel
£ 329.00

Fully electric Sports seats (14-way, electric)
P06
£ 1,599.00

Two-zone automatic climate control
£ 539.00

I'd lose above as they arent really necessary and spec 20's, PASM, 2 way electric Sport Seats and Sport Chrono. Can understand though if you are predominantly looking for comfort. Car would look and go awesome though :)

I also like the blue interior and hood on my car but may be too much with Sapphire. My mums old 944S2 Cab in Cobalt looked pretty stunning in blue with blue roof and grey interior

Whatever you end up going for I am sure it will be incredible, enjoy the process :)

Thanks all, I had a blue one with blue hood and interior some years ago. Agree it looked great but I quite like the contrast of a black hood. Pictures are really helpful so thanks for those. I'm having a play with the spec too, trying not to be a bankrupt with a nice car! Definitely landed on the colour though I think that's now inked in. Bigger wheels highly likely too. Will probably lose entry and drive, speed limit display and the dipping mirrors. Gonna keep electric seats as my wife is nearly a foot shorter than me so it keeps the peace.  My wife has a heated wheel on her Range Rover so I want one, can't give a better reason than spec competition!

I'll confirm an initial spec shortly and then try to resist the temptation to add stuff before they lock it down. ?

1 hour ago, Jonny A said:

Thanks all, I had a blue one with blue hood and interior some years ago. Agree it looked great but I quite like the contrast of a black hood. Pictures are really helpful so thanks for those. I'm having a play with the spec too, trying not to be a bankrupt with a nice car! Definitely landed on the colour though I think that's now inked in. Bigger wheels highly likely too. Will probably lose entry and drive, speed limit display and the dipping mirrors. Gonna keep electric seats as my wife is nearly a foot shorter than me so it keeps the peace.  My wife has a heated wheel on her Range Rover so I want one, can't give a better reason than spec competition!

I'll confirm an initial spec shortly and then try to resist the temptation to add stuff before they lock it down. ?

If the 2 of you share the car then with keyless you can program the seat settings to the key, when you unlock the car with your key the seat moves back then when you start the car it move to your position, no button pressing.Dipping mirrors give you automatic windscreen wipers as well. Heated steering wheel is lovely.Have fun playing, i did and really went for it and happy with everything that i chose.:D

15 minutes ago, Jonny A said:

Ahh. Like the sound of that, I can feel a "what the heck" moment coming!  

I dont blame you, mine was a one off never to be repeated purchase so got exactly what i wanted no compromise. There is nothing i regret at all.:D

Yeah 20s are on the list and also trying to decide whether the S is worth the extra. Deep in thought over here. 

1 minute ago, Jonny A said:

Yeah 20s are on the list and also trying to decide whether the S is worth the extra. Deep in thought over here. 

I never entertained the 718 always wanted the S. It depends what you are after really,Both rapid the S is much more responsive and so quicker being 2.5 and a better turbo , no lag and torque low down. Drive the 2 of them and decide which is best for you.

It's done, ordered this morning with delivery for September. Could have had August but no point with a new registration due so now I just have to wait.  Tick tick?

23 minutes ago, Jonny A said:

It's done, ordered this morning with delivery for September. Could have had August but no point with a new registration due so now I just have to wait.  Tick tick?

Nice one, a long but exciting wait for you :D

On 4/1/2017 at 0:24 PM, Jonny A said:

Are you going to be kind enough and share the spec?:D

Archived