Ordering my Boxster

Jonny A

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also assume you've been reading pistonheads, it is what is is and always has been. I always go on there more for a laugh than education. The 718 v 918 "debates" are no different, full of ill tempered, biased, naive comments so you have to pick out the facts and true logic carefully.

I am someone who recently chose a 981 GTS over a new 718 for my own reasons. In the real world those reasons are marginal but enough to swing a decision for me. For most buyers a new 718 would be and is the correct choice as it would simply tick more boxes than a used 981 would. It simply makes me laugh when someone tries to justify how someone choosing a 781 over a 981 is the the wrong decision.

to me the facts boil down to:

- the 981 sounding better (especially in GTS form) but that is subjective and without the 981 benchmark to most its either unknown or irrelevent

- the NA driving experience v Forced Induction. Again subjective and without direct reference points either unknown to the buyer or irrelevent.

- the GTS interior not being available in the 781 (yet). down to personal choice

In all other regards the 781 is factually the better / more logical choice.

For me the reasons to go NA v FI where more of a factor than for most. Soon all cars will be FI and I want to enjoy NA (with the added benefit of the sound) for as long as possible. The reason I chose a 981 over any other marque is simply because the NA experience is at the pinnacle of what was ever available. In a way a victim of its own success in the regard as the move to FI based on physics alone would mean a step backwards. That is not a porsche thing, its physics so something every manufacturer faces. Obviously its more sensitive in a sports car. The 911 Turbos have never sounded as good as the NA versions. Pistonheads is farcical how threads harp on about this though, the 718 sounds better than most sports cars at the end of the day and most buyers simply have no interest if it subjectively sounds as good as a 981. There are many factors other than that why a 718 is the right car for them.

don't get hung up on it, just smile in the knowledge you have the right car for you. Its simply a case of people protesting too much. Those who do are usually the ones trying to convince themselves. Those who are truly content would not have an issue to start with. Porsche have done nothing wrong, they have made a better car as an overall package.

Anyway back to your spec, it looks great. The only thing I would question would be the adaptive seats. Unless you need the full memory option for regular multiple drivers I would not bother. The sports seats plus are better in lots of ways, cheaper and nowhere near as heavy. Porsche are very very good at the options game though and mission creep is perfectly normal lol

Cheers Jon, can't say the chat bothers me although I'm surprised by the vehemence of some. I came very close to choosing a used 981 and as I look out at blue skies it's still tempting, but that's not enough to change my mind. 

My reasons for buying are similar in that it won't be long with all the telematics being added to cars that the days of being in control are numbered. I just want to enjoy driving a beautiful car that doesn't "big brother" me or even restrict my driving, that's surely coming unfortunately. 

The seats have caused some debate but ultimately my wife's nearly a foot shorter and will use the car so memory seats are the way to go for us. Oddly there's no real price differential between the sports seats and adaptive seats as the adaptive includes leather. I'm trying out different seats just to make sure we both get comfortable and I'm not going to be shy of borrowing the demonstrator over the next few months. In fact I have it on Easter Monday so let's hope the weathers nice. 

In the meantime I must spec that Cascada diesel as my plan b ??

I found the chat just funny, but you are correct? It does seem bitter.

If like on here people are comparing like for like then fair do but never to have owned one and just tag onto things they have read if just plain petty, but some do for a response though . Whichever one you get you would never be dissapointed each has positives and negatives or maybe in my eyes all are positive :D

19 hours ago, Jonny A said:

Wow, I've been reading forums to see what I'm missing while waiting for my Boxster. I'm a bit shocked at the strength of feeling that's being shown and the level of entrenched feeling that I'm coming across.

When I first read this yesterday, I worried that you might have been referring you BoXa.net!  I now realise you were not. ☺

19 hours ago, Jonny A said:

I'm hoping to find a Boxster community where people can have debate and champion their own cars but respect and acknowledge that others feel differently.

I hope you have found exactly that here. ☺

1 hour ago, Daniel Joseph said:

When I first read this yesterday, I worried that you might have been referring you BoXa.net!  I now realise you were not. ☺

I hope you have found exactly that here. ☺

Definitely not experienced that here so staying out of piston heads where the most entrenched views seem to be expressed. I'll stick to BoXa net where I've only seen good advice and witty banter. 

Back on topic, they let me have their 718 demonstrator today and I haven't stopped smiling. A few months till I get mine but it keeps me engaged at least  

Mine goes into spec lockdown on the 12th June hopefully. I will be getting close to the registration change I guess but I've waited long enough I just want the car. A Cayman S though. Given how similar they are now I wonder if BoXa would entertain the 718 Cayman on the main 718 forum :)

I think mine locks down at the end of May, I don't want delivery until September and the OPC are happy to organise that, don't mind waiting a few more weeks for the new registration. 

Not sure about the Cayman although I'd have no problem adding it to the thread. 

I ordered my 981 in November and the dealer rang up in mid January to say that it was in stock! I said that I didn't want it until the registration change in March so they kept it until then. I didn't even go to take a look at it as I knew that I would want it sooner if I actually saw it.

17 minutes ago, topradio said:

I ordered my 981 in November and the dealer rang up in mid January to say that it was in stock! I said that I didn't want it until the registration change in March so they kept it until then. I didn't even go to take a look at it as I knew that I would want it sooner if I actually saw it.

Agree and we have a family holiday in August so no great issue. Looking forward to it enormously. 

I went off car registrations when it went to every 6 months. The MGFV is the same whether it is registered in July 2017 or September 2017. I don't like the September reg's and I prefer a 17 to a 67. That's just me though :)

Fair point, it's less about registrations and more about using the Merc for our holiday before I swap it for the 718. 

I agree about the registration date, although it is still a little bit of a buzz to pick it up on the first day of the new one. I just didn't actually want the car in January and I had fully expected that it wouldn't be available until the promised March delivery.

Certainly don't plan to pick it up 1st Sept, my experience of PDI checks for cars delivered on the first day of a reg change is dreadful. Rather wait a week. Maybe Porsche are better but I'd rather wait for a few days. 

In my case they had 6 weeks to PDI it, so I don't have any worries there. When I bought my last van it came from Marshal Ipswich and they hadn't even bothered to clean let alone PDI it (confirmed by the dealer who did the first service)  

3 hours ago, Jonny A said:

I think mine locks down at the end of May, I don't want delivery until September and the OPC are happy to organise that, don't mind waiting a few more weeks for the new registration. 

Not sure about the Cayman although I'd have no problem adding it to the thread. 

So will yours be a MY17 or an MY18 build? :huh: 

2 minutes ago, Araf said:

So will yours be a MY17 or an MY18 build? :huh: 

Actually no idea lol ?, still some discussion to be had including discount and finance rates. 

Archived