Took a knife to the boxster today...

spic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

That is looking bloody good! Bit like the CSR aftermarket one but an epic DIY

0_8_33.jpg

I have to confess I did look at a few pictures of this bumper from different angles, and also printed off a few standard boxster picture's which I then drew on before taking the knife to the car ?

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea ?

Not on a street car though.  Those bumperettes (is that just a US thing) are there for a reason and the rear sheet metal of my second Boxster was saved biggly when a sweet young thing plowed into my rear. and the bumperettes and bumper structure saved my sheet metal and lights.  Her car was a mess and my bumper support structure and bumper had to be redone but there was no body paint or straightening needed. I did take the opportunity to have the bumperettes painted body color and they really shrank in visibility once that was done.

I think what's really going to work with this car is the colour, because the blue is quite blue I don't think the ducts will be too in your face, in fact I think at a quick look people my even not notice them, which great, nice and subtle 

The US cars don't have bumperettes on them anymore either. They must've figured out a way to meet the impact requirements without the extra bumper pads.

• 3 weeks later...

I wasn't a fan but I'm warming to this project.  From the horror of the knife cuts I'm now admiring the quality of your work.

8 minutes ago, chaz771 said:

How well dose the fiberglass bond to the bumper plastic?

It's good, the front valance and side skit's fit nice and tight to the body almost 100%, the rear wasn't as close but after a bit of work and adding in one of my own fixing points it will be a lot better 

7 minutes ago, spic said:

It's good, the front valance and side skit's fit nice and tight to the body almost 100%, the rear wasn't as close but after a bit of work and adding in one of my own fixing points it will be a lot better 

I think the same skirts will be my next addition. 

16 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

Looking fantastic?! Did you buy the skirts off eBay?

All of the bay, seller was jella400 and jshez400 who are the same seller's as it all came in the same box ?

25 minutes ago, chaz771 said:

How well dose the fiberglass bond to the bumper plastic?

I wonder if @chaz771 meant in the ducts that you built, that was something I was wondering, how does it stick and will it crack?

Archived