986 Seating Position

Steve Laming

Hi All,

Went to view a Boxster 986 S 2002 yesterday. This was purely a fact finding mission as the car was not the colour or gearbox that I am after. The dealer did know all this before hand as I said I just wanted a chat etc.

When i got in the car, I did not seem to 'fit'. I am about 5' 10" but have quite long legs and the problem with a lot of cars is that there is no support under my thigh towards the front of the seat ! The seat was as far back as it went and we fiddled with the height adjuster, but still not comfortable. We then tried a 987 on a '10' plate and this was far better. Sadly finances wont allow a 987. Then we tried a 996 / 911 (different type of seat as it had the high wings on the sides) and because of the rear seats the front seat had more movement (no baulkhead to worry about). This also fitted fine.

So, am I alone with this problem or do you think the 986 I tried may have had a faulty seat ? I owned a 944 about 20 years ago and that was fine, although being the early car the steering wheel was in my lap !

Perhaps I should take a cushion from my sofa next time I try a car ? !

Anyone local to me (Weybridge in Surrey) that I can pop over and have a fitting ? Without the pressure of a salesman standing over me. I would like to purchase a manual gearbox car, so would like to try this type. The one at the dealer was a Tiptronic.

Any advice greatfully received, as I felt rather deflated after leaving the dealer.

Many thanks to Roly Baldwin at ePorsch for putting up with me yesterday.

Cheers,

Steve.

Know what you mean. Have similar thigh problem in my 986. You can try raising the seat high and far back, but in the end the thing that cured it for me was getting Cruise Control fitted and on long journeys keeping knees bent about 90 degrees

Hi Steve,

I've got a 2004 986 and am 6'3", other than being a little close with my knee to centre console I don't have a problem. If you adjust the rake of the back you can get a little lower in the height adjustment and it seems to push the bottom pad slightly more forward. The 987 has a little more leg room for us leggy types! 

2 minutes ago, CarlM said:

Hi Steve,

I've got a 2004 986 and am 6'3", other than being a little close with my knee to centre console I don't have a problem. If you adjust the rake of the back you can get a little lower in the height adjustment and it seems to push the bottom pad slightly more forward. The 987 has a little more leg room for us leggy types! 

Cheers for that.

I guess I just need to try a manual car and play about with the seat adjustment. I had two BMW's, a 3 series & a 5 series. Both seating positions were totally different for me to get comfy. The 3 series the seat was as far down as it would go and quite raked on the seat squab and the 5 series, the seat was right up in the air. No problem with either after I got that sorted !

And, Gutley, That's what the S class Merc is for. Long journeys & cruise control.

at 5'11 I had same problem you have to make the seat very upright to fit well and very flat shoe's help, I also think the seat foam and base wear a lot and if I try it with a bit of extra padding the seating feels better so I guess a renew of the seat is on the books but as is i'v done over a hundred miles in one go and its not too bad.

34 minutes ago, Steve Laming said:

Cheers for that.

I guess I just need to try a manual car and play about with the seat adjustment. I had two BMW's, a 3 series & a 5 series. Both seating positions were totally different for me to get comfy. The 3 series the seat was as far down as it would go and quite raked on the seat squab and the 5 series, the seat was right up in the air. No problem with either after I got that sorted !

And, Gutley, That's what the S class Merc is for. Long journeys & cruise control.

You'll be surprised how addictive driving a Boxster can be!! Got mine as an occasional / summer car but I have found myself using it more than I thought I would ?

It's taken me about 6 months to get the seating position right. I'm 5'9 and my seat is nowhere near the back, though I do like to sit quite close to the steering wheel. The breakthrough for me was raising the seat back to be more vertical - ala GT3 bucket seating position.

I have a back condition which gives me substantial thigh pain irrespective of car, but the driving position once sorted is great; certainly one of the best I've encountered.  The only thing I'd like would be to get the seat lower still.

I'm 6'2" but with short legs and tyrannosaurus arms so the Box is perfect for me.

I understand that 986's could be ordered from the factory with a lowered seat position for about £350 at the time, so it may be possible to modify the seat height. Some people fir 987 seats which drop you about half an inch.

First time i sat in a 986 it was an early model and i was disappointed to find I could barely fit, with the seat right back. I bought a facelift model and seemed to fit in that fine though, dont know if there is more room in them?

Thanks guys. Some good feed back there. I also have to visit my back Dr every three months or so for a 'tune up'.

A few years ago i had a Clio 182. Great car but terrible seating position (for me). Clio Trophy seats would have sorted that out. Only kept it for a year. My 944 had some metal risers under the seat runners when I bought it. Took those out the first day I had it.

The 986 (for me) just needs the front of the seat tilted up a bit more to support my legs.

I'm a long legged 6' 2" with a 986 facelift manual. Did you adjust the wheel?  I find the car comfy but my legs are quite bent so I don't need the leg support so much. I like to drive with neat lighweight shoes so I can slide my foot past the clutch on long journeys. As others have sugested, perhaps the seat on the car you tried was past its best.

1 hour ago, Kooky 1976 said:

I'm 6'2" but with short legs and tyrannosaurus arms so the Box is perfect for me.

I understand that 986's could be ordered from the factory with a lowered seat position for about £350 at the time, so it may be possible to modify the seat height. Some people fir 987 seats which drop you about half an inch.

I'll do some research into that as I've got the sports seats so don't want to change them.

2 hours ago, Steve Laming said:

Thanks guys. Some good feed back there. I also have to visit my back Dr every three months or so for a 'tune up'.

A few years ago i had a Clio 182. Great car but terrible seating position (for me). Clio Trophy seats would have sorted that out. Only kept it for a year. My 944 had some metal risers under the seat runners when I bought it. Took those out the first day I had it.

The 986 (for me) just needs the front of the seat tilted up a bit more to support my legs.

get a 986 and fit 987 seats :)

I'm 6' and found the same as you, it felt cramped at first.

One GT3 console delete, move the seat forward (counter-intuitive i know) and pull the wheel right back and hey presto, perfect. I have thought about putting the sports seats in but being as they are the same bottoms with wingbacks i can't see the point, if i do change them then 987 seats will be going in. Thanks @Patt for the tip on moving the seat forward btw.

I have sports seats in a 986, lower console delete and am very local to you. At 6'1" I'm comfortable in the car. PM me if you would like to try the car for fit.

3 hours ago, That986 said:

Thanks @Patt for the tip on moving the seat forward btw.

Didn't realise you took that on board. I just thought it was my habit of sitting upright and closer than normal to the wheel.   

I'm only 6ft, but I couldn't sit in a standard seated 986 - my legs touched the bottom of the steering wheel.  I have the bucket seat option, expensive - but so comfortable !

If you are near Bracknell, feel free to drop me a line if you want to try them for size.

It took me ages to work out the best seating position for me.  I'm 5'11" and found that I often felt like I was hanging on when driving in a spirited fashion.  I tried all sorts of combinations, but was cured by slightly raising the seat (I have sport seats, but doubt that's relevant).  It's not that I needed the seat higher to see, it more that as it raises it tilts the seat base forward at the same time.  Once I'd done that. I could then adjust how far forward/back I wanted the seat and how upright I wanted the back.  I do tend to sit quite upright to be honest and as such have loads of room to move the seat back if needed.  In every other car I've had, I've always dropped the seat to it's lowest position, so never had to do this before.  

Don't get me started on others moving the seat though.  No idea why a mechanic feels the need to do anything more than move the seat back or forward other than to wind me up!

21 minutes ago, Patt said:

Didn't realise you took that on board. I just thought it was my habit of sitting upright and closer than normal to the wheel.   

I'm only 6ft, but I couldn't sit in a standard seated 986 - my legs touched the bottom of the steering wheel.  I have the bucket seat option, expensive - but so comfortable !

If you are near Bracknell, feel free to drop me a line if you want to try them for size.

Tried it and felt better so stuck with it. Now all i do is adjust the back for where i'm driving. Recline a bit for the cruise on the motorway and back up a bit for the twisties and town driving.

9 hours ago, Boxob said:

I have sports seats in a 986, lower console delete and am very local to you. At 6'1" I'm comfortable in the car. PM me if you would like to try the car for fit.

Just tried to PM you, but it says 'Boxob can not receive messages'

Steve.

11 hours ago, mvw said:

Don't get me started on others moving the seat though.  No idea why a mechanic feels the need to do anything more than move the seat back or forward other than to wind me up!

I know what you mean, the KN has memory seats with lord knows many adjustments, took ages to get seat exactly as I wanted, but as seat adjusts according to the key, and Mrs RCS has her own key, no prob.  However, there is a setting that when ticked means the thing remembers all your current settings, temperature, audio etc etc, including the seat when you remove the key - great if you make a little tweak as its automatically remembered.  This ain't so great when its ticked and your car goes for a service, and when you get it back seat settings need re doing - aargh!!  I remembered to un tick the option before it went in last time !!

Archived