highest milage on a 986 over 100,000 milers only

kev911

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 21/04/2017 at 10:35 PM, the baron said:

180000, 2.5 1997, goes like a dream

So I'm the winner so far, it's actually just turned over 181534.

And I can confirm the 2.5 Boxsters do go like stink.

7 hours ago, the baron said:

So I'm the winner so far, it's actually just turned over 181534.

And I can confirm the 2.5 Boxsters do go like stink.

I thought with 156k I would win haha that beats me by alot.

There is a 987 on Gumtree with 193k on it. 

178,000 miles, me accounting for just the last 1,xxx. The engine has been cared for and sounds nice. But some error codes came up. and IMHO, I feel that the cam chains have lengthened over time. Prudence might compel me to replace those 2 chains with the tensioners and while at it, look at the piston rings, valves, replace the water and oil pumps etc. etc.

A friend has a similar mileage and he found metal & plastic parts in the oil. He took the engine apart to the last screw and remains in the dark as to  WHAT bearing parts he found. :blink: 

On 21.4.2017 at 11:48 PM, Loz987 said:

118860miles coil packs and plugs replaced at 105k 

maf replaced at 108k

car driven hard every weekend. I changed the oil at 108k and it seemed to use a little. I've since used a "treatment" that seems to have unstuck the rings and restored normal performance. 

I intend for this to be my first "car for life."

I'm going to drive it like I stole it, and then patch her up as needed. I think these engines are superb! 

Q: which treattment was that? (Also asked that in a PM)

Quite a pertinent subject for me as Im contemplating an S with just under 120k on it.  Clutch and IMS were replaced about 10k miles ago so to me its fine but Im just worried that beyond this mileage to most people looking (come resell time) that it will be past it.  I would probably be adding 3-4k miles a year on it. 

I looked through the reliability topic but most car are sub 100k which I think any car should easily be able to reach with regular maintenance so it proves to me they are no less reliable than most other cars up to that point and it seem from this topic same could be said for 100k+.   

I also think there is something to be said for the low mileage car in that Im also wary of them as well as these things like to be used, sitting around for periods of time is not great IMO.  Theres a balance of course and you also banking on how the previous owners drove the car as it could have 40k miles of absolute abuse vs 100k miles of gentle driving.  Neither are preferred IMO.

End of the day its still a bit of chance and luck.   

Everything I was told was the low mileage ones can be problematic due to these engines not liking to be sat for periods of time but saying that it's the same with any car. 

My cousin just bought a brand new Focus RS and on 2200 miles it put a rod through the block. Under warranty luckily. 1st failure of its kind. 

Engines are pot luck and I tend not to care. Mine is on 156k and sweet as a nut.

On 22.4.2017 at 10:43 PM, mikefocke said:

There is one in the US with over 320k miles and the engine has never been opened. 2.7

Well, with more than 90% of an engine's wear & tear being caused by starting it cold...

I had bought a neighbor's Toyota 4-banger 1991  truck with about 390,000 miles on the clock. Cam chain, the cylinder head was never off. Replacement auto transmission at 350 k miles. RE 22 engine, 2.4 liter, I think. He has been commuting from Joshua Tree to L.A., about 150 miles one way. And he changed the oil every 3 k miles. 8Go shopping at WalMart. Pick up the car when you are done). Pay about $ 25...

Warm up the engine, treat the car gently. (Imagine riding a race horse. And some brutally ignorant rider kicking it with spurs).

Be nice to your Porsche and it will be nice to you :wub:

33 minutes ago, hs0zfe said:

Well, with more than 90% of an engine's wear & tear being caused by starting it cold...

I had bought a neighbor's Toyota 4-banger 1991  truck with about 390,000 miles on the clock. Cam chain, the cylinder head was never off. Replacement auto transmission at 350 k miles. RE 22 engine, 2.4 liter, I think. He has been commuting from Joshua Tree to L.A., about 150 miles one way. And he changed the oil every 3 k miles. 8Go shopping at WalMart. Pick up the car when you are done). Pay about $ 25...

Warm up the engine, treat the car gently. (Imagine riding a race horse. And some brutally ignorant rider kicking it with spurs).

Be nice to your Porsche and it will be nice to you :wub:

I always thought it was "treat her mean, keep her keen" :lol::lol:

On 29/04/2017 at 7:13 AM, hs0zfe said:

178,000 miles, me accounting for just the last 1,xxx. The engine has been cared for and sounds nice. But some error codes came up. and IMHO, I feel that the cam chains have lengthened over time. Prudence might compel me to replace those 2 chains with the tensioners and while at it, look at the piston rings, valves, replace the water and oil pumps etc. etc.

A friend has a similar mileage and he found metal & plastic parts in the oil. He took the engine apart to the last screw and remains in the dark as to  WHAT bearing parts he found. :blink: 

On 29/04/2017 at 1:50 PM, Menoporsche said:

Plastic parts might have been was it chain guides we worked out here once. 

Or remnants of a less sympathetic/successful plug tube replacement.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2017 at 2:08 PM, hs0zfe said:

It didn't get submerged in high tide then fall off the top of a demolished tower block did it?

7 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

It didn't get submerged in high tide then fall off the top of a demolished tower block did it?

Nope. The estranged (now ex) wife commandeered it, then got caught driving without insurance. and they found a Meth pipe? => She was fined $ 2,000 which yours truly paid. 

She wasn't working. And there was a bloody flat-rate with Verizon for the landline. How did she spend about $ 1,000? A: she bought a mobile phone and used it at home:wacko:

Back then, I had 3 trucks on 1 insurance (with AIG). Now I'm dreaming of such a policy for my Boxsters.

Just kicked over the 100,000 and intend to add a lot more, i've done 8000 in the last 10 months. My last car had 185000 before I sold it so mileage does not scare me in the slightest.

As for problems none so far, just the usual maintenance items.

Archived