Brake pads, disks and servicing comparisons

Paulo123

Hi all

thought I'd start a brake thread to compare OPC and Indy prices since a lot of us 2013 guys and girls will probably need pads this year

im booked in at a local Indy for textar OEM pads all round this week and it's £300 vs £1200 at Porsche 

Porsche include fluid change so the real life difference is £800

interestingly the brake pad sensors cost more than the rear pads if you buy Porsche ones at 40 quid each ( 160 for all 4 ) 

has anyone one used the non branded brake pad sensors yet ??

so if you've had pads or disks changed post up the cost and brands used so we can all have a butchers 

cheers

So glad you've started this thread ?

I got a quote from OPC last week. Sit down. Front pads only, £475! 

I'll do the job myself. 

What make are we all using for non tracked cars and which supplier?

Sensors and calliper spring, I'll just re use those but the front calliper bolts I will replace. 

I took the car out at the weekend and the back brakes are squeaking ?

I'm thinking all the lube between piston and pad has gone given these cars no longer have the shims. 

Any help appreciated. 

?

9 hours ago, michelin said:

So glad you've started this thread ?

I got a quote from OPC last week. Sit down. Front pads only, £475! 

I'll do the job myself. 

What make are we all using for non tracked cars and which supplier?

Sensors and calliper spring, I'll just re use those but the front calliper bolts I will replace. 

I took the car out at the weekend and the back brakes are squeaking ?

I'm thinking all the lube between piston and pad has gone given these cars no longer have the shims. 

Any help appreciated. 

?

Blimey that's crazy

out of interest can you reuse brake sensors if they haven't triggered yet ?

1 hour ago, Paulo123 said:

Blimey that's crazy

out of interest can you reuse brake sensors if they haven't triggered yet ?

Apparently they are a bit of a bugger to get off without damaging them, but in theory they could be reused.

Given the savings I'm going to get the new sensors anyway. They work out quite cheap compared to OPC. 

Order is being placed today with Euro Car Parts. 

I'll still need the calliper bolts so it's a call to OPC Wilmslow shortly ?

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I've not bothered with new calliper bolts since I bought some decent sockets (snap on) for just that reason.

Calliper bolts are one time use hence my purchasing new ones. ?

Ps. New code for Euro Car Parts. MAD60. ?

9 minutes ago, michelin said:

Calliper bolts are one time use hence my purchasing new ones. ?

I asked Design911.com if I needed new ones of if they were single use. They replied they were reusable.

15 hours ago, Greenman said:

Apparently they are a bit of a bugger to get off without damaging them, but in theory they could be reused.

They can be reused. I did that when i recently changed the front disks and pads, reused some older ones that hadn't triggered yet.

So an update

the car only needs front pads and disks so my Indy has sourced an OEM package from design 911 that includes OEM disks, pads and sensors for 470 quid ish ex vat and fitting them for a few hours labour. 

Seperate prices are nearer 550 ex vat from design911……from Porsche much more

So after labour and vat its approx 680 ish 

I rang Porsche this afternoon and they said for the same work it would be £400 disks, £220 pads and £80 for the sensors and 4 hours labour at 150 a hour…so £1,300 ish, and even then I bet they would have been pushing for rears which just don't need doing.  Didn't even ask about vat so that may have been ex vat haha

so I'm looking at a £700 quid saving

winner winner chicken dinner 

interestingly my Indy mentioned the wear sensors now trigger at 4mm on the 981 cars, where it was 3mm on the earlier generation cars

Got new front discs and pads fitted under 400 at cotswolds. Brembo i think and all good thus far. No complaints.

987s. 2006. Had brake fluid change FOC with last major service in Aug 2016 again with cotswolds.

:)

I've received all the parts from Euro CP. 

Point of interest. The front pads, Textar, have some grease sandwiched between the physical pad and a very thin sheet of metal. I've not seen this before on any brake pads. 

On 2017-5-21 at 10:01 PM, Paulo123 said:

Hi all

thought I'd start a brake thread to compare OPC and Indy prices since a lot of us 2013 guys and girls will probably need pads this year

im booked in at a local Indy for textar OEM pads all round this week and it's £300 vs £1200 at Porsche 

Porsche include fluid change so the real life difference is £800

interestingly the brake pad sensors cost more than the rear pads if you buy Porsche ones at 40 quid each ( 160 for all 4 ) 

has anyone one used the non branded brake pad sensors yet ??

so if you've had pads or disks changed post up the cost and brands used so we can all have a butchers 

cheers

I run Endless pad setup on my Boxster. I think pads were circa £600-800 for all 4 corners. They don't even have anywhere for a sensor to plug into. Plus if you ever do fast road/ track application they melt!

12 hours ago, michelin said:

I've received all the parts from Euro CP. 

Point of interest. The front pads, Textar, have some grease sandwiched between the physical pad and a very thin sheet of metal. I've not seen this before on any brake pads. 

I'm useless on these things but isn't that where the sensor fits 

On 24/05/2017 at 6:54 PM, Paulo123 said:

So an update

the car only needs front pads and disks so my Indy has sourced an OEM package from design 911 that includes OEM disks, pads and sensors for 470 quid ish ex vat and fitting them for a few hours labour. 

Seperate prices are nearer 550 ex vat from design911……from Porsche much more

So after labour and vat its approx 680 ish 

I rang Porsche this afternoon and they said for the same work it would be £400 disks, £220 pads and £80 for the sensors and 4 hours labour at 150 a hour…so £1,300 ish, and even then I bet they would have been pushing for rears which just don't need doing.  Didn't even ask about vat so that may have been ex vat haha

so I'm looking at a £700 quid saving

winner winner chicken dinner 

interestingly my Indy mentioned the wear sensors now trigger at 4mm on the 981 cars, where it was 3mm on the earlier generation cars

For parts only - Front OEM Discs, Pads and Sensors £240 +VAT from Type911 (or £260 for the S). I've used these chaps a number of times, I'm fairly local to them. They've been friendly, fast at shipping and fair priced on a number of items for me in the past.

Just thought I'd add a few points after viewing the partsfitted to my car 

I went with Porsche parts bought from the dealership

when my mechanic opened them they were as we thought, textar pads and serbro disks

so basically you pay about 100/150 quid for the Porsche boxes

ah well live and learn

On 5/23/2017 at 10:32 AM, Patt said:

I've not bothered with new calliper bolts since I bought some decent sockets (snap on) for just that reason.

I don't understand this @Patt.  The theory behind new bolts is that they are tensile, and will stretch.  When you re-torque them, they will already be stretched and so the metal will not act the same and could snap in use.

I'll agree that due to their chunky size there is very little possibility of this happening (IMHO) but that is the reason for new bolts being used.

1 hour ago, Araf said:

I don't understand this @Patt.  The theory behind new bolts is that they are tensile, and will stretch.  When you re-torque them, they will already be stretched and so the metal will not act the same and could snap in use.

I'll agree that due to their chunky size there is very little possibility of this happening (IMHO) but that is the reason for new bolts being used.

Bit like the crank bolt that holds the under-drive pulley on IT IS a stretch bolt but IIRC it requires angle torquing AND I can say if you manage to torque it to specification I will eat my favourite spring of lucky heather.

Loads of Boxsters running around with reused calliper (crank & driveshaft) bolts in PERFECT safety I'll wager.

OH and considering Mr. Box has 42k and is still on the ORIGINAL BRAKES I will be linking the sensors out and fitting the EBC (IIRC) pads I bought from a forum member for £10 to cover P&P, thanks again Boxster.net, that should cover my usage until about 2030 :)

Great thread BTW, you have to wonder why the OPC's are so epically uncompetitive :laugh:

Archived