New 986 owner: work in progress :)

TROOPER88

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mines a 2001 S and when closing the roof, I apply the latch and the windows close.

40 minutes ago, Gutley said:

No, on open. Once the roof finishes going WhiirrrrWhiiiiirWhooooop the windows go back up

Sounds like you might have a 'cricket' stuck in your roof, whirrr-whirry whoop indeed!

1 hour ago, Southy said:

mines a 2001 S and when closing the roof, I apply the latch and the windows close.

But I bet you press/pull a button to access your trunk or frunk?

In cars from th'Oldun Days (i.e. MY2000 and before), we have to yank a big lever....

It would appear there were BIG changes going on around that time.... :D

Cheers, Baggers.  

11 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

But I bet you press/pull a button to access your trunk or frunk?

In cars from th'Oldun Days (i.e. MY2000 and before), we have to yank a big lever....

It would appear there were BIG changes going on around that time.... :D

Cheers, Baggers.  

The frunk/trunk is opened by a small button 

1 hour ago, Southy said:

The frunk/trunk is opened by a small button 

And such luxury explains the added treat of windows going back up when re-latching - which the older cars don't have.

Cheers, Baggers.

Hi Guys

Well I have been too busy of late to work on the Boxster but had a quick look today.

I refitted the rear bumper with new fixings and the new exhaust sounds brilliant; sounds standard which is what I wanted.

I then removed the rear wheels as wanted to start on the brakes. It is just one problem after another tbh and this was supposed to be fun!!

Removed the spilt pin and attempted to remove the slid pin to remove the pads. Would either side move? Not at all!!

I then decided to looses the calliper as I would remove it and work on it in the vice.

Will the 10mm brake pipe loosen lol, no!!

What is the best way forward??

Clamp hose

Cut pipe next to caliper

Remove calliper

Cut slide pin out

Refit with new pipe and connections x 4 :)

??

Many thanks to all 

Hi

Made some progress this afternoon.

I had to use the angel grinder and cut each of the rear pads meaning they could be removed. Once the pads were out I cut the slide pins in half and then hammered them out. They were very tight.

I have now removed both rear discs, pads and sensors and have new ones there ready to install.

I then fitted 6 new plugs and coil packs. A couple of the plus were again very, very tight! I could get them moving ok but for 80% of the thread they were extremely tight.

Not sure why, overtightened in the past or just the fact they could have been in there a very long time.

I am starting to see that this is one very, very original Boxster. Original but it seems the most basic maintenance has been missed.

I have all the discs, pads and sensors to do as well as an oil and filter change, air filter and cabin filter change, front wishbones to fit as well as sorting the camber with the eccentric bolts.

I will order 4 new calliper pins later.

Cheers 

On 04/10/2017 at 9:39 AM, topradio said:

On my 986 (2.5 1998) the windows do not automatically  go back up when the roof is latched and that's how it's been from new. 

On my 986 (2001) the windows do come back up automatically when the roof is latched back into position so it may have been a thing on the earlier models

On 10/10/2017 at 5:56 PM, TROOPER88 said:

I had to use the angel grinder and cut each of the rear pads meaning they could be removed. Once the pads were out I cut the slide pins in half and then hammered them out. They were very tight.

I might have this fun job whenever my pads wear out..

Did you manage it with the caliper on the car? And which way did you hammer out?

2 hours ago, james_ly said:

Did you manage it with the caliper on the car? And which way did you hammer out?

I had the same issue with the slide pins and managed to get them out with the caliper still on the car. Soaked in Plus Gas first and then used a punch with a claw hammer and gradually increased the force until they started to move. My next move would have been to apply heat to the area. Don't forget to remove the split pin first ?

I pushed them out towards the car so they come out of the back of the caliper, would have been v tricky the other way.

12 hours ago, bally4563 said:

Sorry to hijack thread are you not up for the Borders run @Nobbie ?

Mick

Tried to PM you, but I think your inbox must be full. If I get some work done this week, I'll try and make it, but will be a last minute decision.

8 hours ago, Nobbie said:

Tried to PM you, but I think your inbox must be full. If I get some work done this week, I'll try and make it, but will be a last minute decision.

Ok keep me posted as @bagss2 and I are traveling up Friday afternoon 

On 23/10/2017 at 12:02 PM, james_ly said:

Hi

Yes, you leave the caliper on the car but remove the disc first.

Easy tbh and because the pins were so tight, I would not want to reuse them anyway.

I am replacing the discs, pads and sensors.

I removed the caliper just to be able to remove the disc and then put the top caliper bolt back in. With the disc out of the way you will have enough room to then cut the pins with a grinder.

I have not had chance to buy and fit news pins for the rear yet and before I do I will do the front brakes. I may as well see what the pins are like on the front as I may need to order 4.

They are not cheap! Circa £40 for 2!

Archived