Heated seats,yes or no

911S

Got a 2.7 986 without heated seats.

As retrofitting even genuine boxster heated seats is not that straight forward,is it worth messing with the electrics or just wearing a warmer coat on those sunny winter drives?

Opinions please.

I went through this process with mine after I'd bought it. Decided not to bother and can't say I've ever been cold, having said that mines not a daily driver. The heater is pretty good at keeping the cabin warm, the top of my head catches the wind but heated seats wouldn't help with that.

I love my heated seats, I have had them in all my daily drivers for probably 15 years and they get used very frequently.  And it was an essential for me on the Boxster, cold day, heater on full blast, warm buttocks, heaven :)  

One of those things you don't miss till you've had them. If you don't have them then get the excellent heater on full blast and fleece/woolly hat enough for the coldest weather. It's a complex job installing them into a car. 2 of  my 4 Boxsters had them, didn't really miss them when didn't have. Though, one of the best uses for heated seats is to try and make your passenger sweat in summer! The gf likes them more than I do obvs, though her SLC has an air-scarf..now that is decadent! 

In my old golf I'd say yes. It was so big, having heated seats made the difference. The actual heaters either didn't do enough or were too hot.

In the Porsche its a much smaller cabin.

However, now I have them I don't think I could live without it.

Personally I couldn't live without them especially on the 981 as the aero seems to cause the hot air to be sucked out of the cabin much more efficiently than on the 986. Mind you , I am an old git.

I retro fitted heated seats to the 986 completely OEM with the two-stage switches. Nothing that anybody even half competent with a soldering iron couldn't do. I bought heated seats from a breakers and sold my old ones on eBay, getting nearly all my money back.

I love my heated seats. Coincidentally, I wasn't looking for them and had never had them on a previous car, but the 986 I bought happens to have them.

Whilst their absence wouldn't be a dealbreaker for the right car, it makes those spring and autumn morning drives with the roof down that much more bearable.

A must have for me & I retrofitted a Waeco kit into my 986. Not a difficult job but a time consuming one as seats have to come out then covers stripped off so that the elements can be fitted (I can't get mine in the garage so had to wait for a decent day & did one seat per good day). 

Emergency Vehicle Products sell kits with different options for switching heat 

Hi Topradio,could you tell how you wired the seats.

Have found a pair of genuine seats including switches and loom all the way to main loom.

Any tips will greatly appreciated.

I really dont want to damage loom too much hence my hesitation though suppose a warm bum would be nice.

28 minutes ago, 911S said:

Hi Topradio,could you tell how you wired the seats.

Have found a pair of genuine seats including switches and loom all the way to main loom.

Any tips will greatly appreciated.

I really dont want to damage loom too much hence my hesitation though suppose a warm bum would be nice.

It a while since I did it but here goes. I found the info on this site very useful. Its a little long winded as he had to actually fit the heating element into the seats. It should give you some pointers.

http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/.

I did this before I joined this site so I didn't document it at the time.

Most of the heating control is built into the backs/base of the seats so its just wiring.

Run control wires from the switches to the seats. I ran them forward to behind the dash and then along the sill to the seats following the existing looms. These are control wires and don't carry much current (3 wires per side IIRC)

Run power feeds from the fuse box to the seats (these carry the current and need to be a heaver gauge cable)

I loomed the cables into the existing harness using fabric tape and it looked like it came out of the factory like it. When I bought my seats I also got the connectors from under the seats complete with a few inches of cable I then spliced this into my existing loom so it just plugs in as it should.

This is a pic under the passenger seat, you can see the loose connector. The two square connections are the control lines and the current is carried by the heaver round 'bullet like' sockets. I took this shot to document fitting OEM parking sensors. The extra L shaped box is the PDC control unit.

Nqh1tRb.jpg

I think they're great, would say essential if you like getting the roof down on cooler days.

I retrofitted them, even bought the proper switches.  After looking at the guide: http://www.dennisvogel.com/heatedseats/  I went for the Waeco ones instead.

Good luck.

Archived