Roof protection

718as

6 minutes ago, 718as said:

I have not personally treated my hood, but my new (to me) 987.2 had its hood treated with Autoglym before delivery to me and the water just beads and sits there - which looks kind of cool.

But I wanted to put my new car cover on in the garage to keep the dust off and I could not as there were droplets of water just sat on the roof after washing and I didn't want to soak this into the cover so I left it off, several days later the drops are still there on the roof (less as they evaporate but still there!).

It's worth noting that there is no real need to waterproof the hood as it has layers of material with a waterproof membrane sandwiched in the middle - so its personal preference if you like the beading look?

Thanks, having water droplets sitting on the hood can be a pain, especially if you put the hood down, the water will just compress into the mechanism/fabric.

How long does it bead before you need to reapply?

Wonder if the Porsche one beads.

7 minutes ago, 718as said:

Thanks, having water droplets sitting on the hood can be a pain, especially if you put the hood down, the water will just compress into the mechanism/fabric.

How long does it bead before you need to reapply?

Wonder if the Porsche one beads.

Yep, I should have gone for a quick spin to get rid of the droplets which I would normally do anyway to dry off the brakes - but I didn't have time and hadn't washed the wheels anyway so no wet brakes - I am swapping the wheels around to winters this weekend and will give the summer wheels a proper clean then...

I think reapply perhaps once a year to maintain beadage...

https://www.porscheshop.co.uk/porsche-car-care-tools/porsche-care-exterior-interior-inc-cabriolet-roofs/porsche-tequipment-convertible-top-waterproofer-400ml.html

Interesting looking at the description for this...I hadn't really thought about the protection afforded by this type of product so it makes more sense to me now.

"Porsche Cabrio Top Protectant protects fabric tops against UV deterioration, bird droppings, tree sap & retreats for water repellency."

3 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Yep, I should have gone for a quick spin to get rid of the droplets which I would normally do anyway to dry off the brakes - but I didn't have time and hadn't washed the wheels anyway so no wet brakes - I am swapping the wheels around to winters this weekend and will give the summer wheels a proper clean then...

I think reapply perhaps once a year to maintain beadage...

Just open the roof and let it run off ...

25 minutes ago, rowbos said:

I was going to but then thought it might just end up trapped among the folds of the roof.

But you'd soon see when you closed it again ready for the cover. Then you'd get your plush microfibre towel out to dry the last bits off :D 

Just now, edc said:

But you'd soon see when you closed it again ready for the cover. Then you'd get your plush microfibre towel out to dry the last bits off :D 

True, I think I prefer the enthusiastic air dry method :) 

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Was going to say, chuck an old (black) bathtowel over it to absorb the worst.

I can almost feel the fluff (which is why you noted black I guess) - however I wouldn't want mismatched fluff on my roof ^_^

Once or twice a year should be sufficient. Cars that are kept outside in all weathers may need more frequent cleaning, then the subsequent re-proofing. Cars kept garaged and not used as a main car definitely only once a year. The Autoglym pack is very good 

I have some Fabsil Gold and Grangers cleaner that I bought in bulk a while back.

If anyone would like 1L of the Fabsil Gold and some of the spray on Cleaner for £12 posted let me know by PM. I would do it cheaper but imagine postage is going to cost a fiver

1 hour ago, Leonard said:

I have some Fabsil Gold and Grangers cleaner that I bought in bulk a while back.

If anyone would like 1L of the Fabsil Gold and some of the spray on Cleaner for £12 posted let me know by PM. I would do it cheaper but imagine postage is going to cost a fiver

This sounds like a great Black Friday offer, thank you!

What is it? A 1l tin of Fabsil Gold and a small spray-bottle of cleaner?

If so, please put me down for an order. :)

Cheers, Baggers. 

I used to use the Autoglym but the last two applications have resulted in hardly and beading at all - very disappointing. Can’t remember where I bought it but I get the feeling it might be fake!

5 hours ago, spyderman8 said:

I used to use the Autoglym but the last two applications have resulted in hardly and beading at all - very disappointing. Can’t remember where I bought it but I get the feeling it might be fake!

Www.autoglum.com perhaps?

+1 on Fabsil (not used the gold version yet) & its really cost effective if you buy it in 5 litre cans @ around £25. My 986 lives outside in all weathers so I do mine twice a year

9 hours ago, fat haggis said:

you all realise that the mohair covering is pours and designed like that . its the waterproof layer is under the mohair top covering .and why they all use mohair  as it is not affected by shrinkage . :magic::shutup:

You are absolutely right of course the outer level does not need to repel the water to retain a watertight roof, however it does help it resist algae growth and any staining  so worthwhile IMO to kept the roof looking good.

Archived