How good is the online MOT history check and advice?

Saxosim

Hi All

I am just using the gov.uk MOT history check facility to look at an 04 plate 2.7 Boxster that I am possibly interested in that’s upfor sale and the MOT history jumps from tested in 2013 to the next one being in 2016.

I am just wondering why there is a 2 year gap in its MOT history and only a 1.5k difference in the mileage between those test dates.  It could just be an error and just missing from the online system but with the mileage I guess it is more likely that the car was maybe not on the road for a few years and perhaps SORN?  I guess there is no way of finding out.  It seems to have been driven a lot more in the past few years anyway.

It also looks to have been potentially owned by an enthusiast as it looks in great cared for condition by the photos that I have seen, has white dials fitted even though it’s a none S, refurbished black wheels, Porsche door decals, Black Boxster rear badge on silver paint.  All these little none standard details suggest this too me.

I am going to call the garage advertising it on Monday to ask more about it and they also advise it has a full service history so I will check the service dates around 2013 to 2016 especially.

With me still learning about Porsche is it a 2 year service interval on them?

The car is 2.5 hrs drive away from me so I will ask questions first before travelling to see it.

If anyone happens to have a nice silver manual 986 for sale at around £5.5k please let me know?

Found a nice looking 03 plate silver one in Tom Ferguson Porsche too but its a Tiptronic which I don’t wants and over priced at £7.5k

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice

7 hours ago, Saxosim said:

If anyone happens to have a nice silver manual 986 for sale at around £5.5k please let me know?

@bally4563 - do you know anyone?

Cheers, Baggers.

IIRC it's an annual service on a 986 and a bi-annual service on 987 and later.  Many do an intermediate oil change. Owners of cars doing very low annual miles are more likely to extend the service interval. 

11 minutes ago, Boxob said:

IIRC it's an annual service on a 986 and a bi-annual service on 987 and later.  Many do an intermediate oil change. Owners of cars doing very low annual miles are more likely to extend the service interval. 

isn't it 12k or annual  for 986's and 20k or two years for 987/981/781's ?

Doesn't account for not having an annual MOT though...

Thanks yes that’s the bit I am unsure of the MOT gap, should that bother me do you think?  I don’t think I will find out why that was as I suppose it could have been anything, maybe not an issue with the car even, I.e the owner worked away for a while etc.  He’s going to send photos of the service book across tomorrow so I can check the intervals.

Looking at the advisories over the years, number plate bulbs off seem to be a very common theme and also the tyres repeatedly low for wear.  I will ask the garage about the tyres on it currently.  The car has just under 95k on it and is a 2004 2.7.  He says the bodywork is great, wheels recently refinished too in black and also the drivers seat and bolster in good condition etc. Again he’s going to send photos of that all across tomorrow.  Car also comes with a 6 month warranty and will be fully MOT’d and serviced again once someone agrees to buy it.

The lack of mileage reinforces the likelihood of it being sorned, hence no MOTs, or services.

The government site is the authority on MOTs and I'd be surprised if it wasn't correct and comprehensive.

2 hours ago, Jason986S said:

Could a couple of years with no MOT history showing be that is was off the road SORN? That’s the logical explanation. Why, who knows. Illness, finances, other commitments, it was a 3rd or 4th car. 

Thanks sounds like it’s nothing to be concerned about.  Will see what the service history is like when the photos come through.  Thanks 

Not dying to sell at mo but with 60 k on the clock , clutch flywheel  IMS and RMS done recently as well as water pump plus all the numerous mods, facelift roof, engine mods Carrera 18" wheels, lists goes on, but not less than 5.5k. Or will hang on till. May when I will sell to upgrade for a 987.2.

Also forgot clear lights (still have the ambers)987 shifter cv boots ,inner and outer track rods ,coffin arms, tuning forks, drop links, ARB bushes, full Bose sound system,front strut brace, ac Condensors plus numerous other incidentals, basically all the shyatee that can go wrong replaced. Down side it is Cat D hence asking price.

1 hour ago, bally4563 said:

Not dying to sell at mo but with 60 k on the clock , clutch flywheel  IMS and RMS done recently as well as water pump plus all the numerous mods, facelift roof, engine mods Carrera 18" wheels, lists goes on, but not less than 5.5k. Or will hang on till. May when I will sell to upgrade for a 987.2.

Sounds nice can you send me some photos?  What colour is it?  I am hoping it’s the silver one in your profile photo.  Those wheels look amazing too.  Just messaged you too @bally4563

43 minutes ago, Saxosim said:

Hi @bagss2 thanks for your help, I am now going to be the proud owner of a 986 Boxster next weekend and my first Porsche :bana:

Very excited to say the least, great to meet you today @bally4563, well worth the visit.  I can’t wait :D

Great work @Saxosim!

You've bagged a really good car. Mick (@bally4563) has put so much in to it.

Try and find another for that money! B)

All the best with it next week and beyond.

Cheers, Baggers.

29 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Great work @Saxosim!

Cheers, Baggers.

Cheers Paul brekky o n me next time I am out in something else, that I will eventually apply the magic to, May after cancel my role in the line up for the Borders run but @Saxosim is keen to take my place rather than being a foot soldier in the passenger seat of @Davidbf1.com would that be in order @RBD914 v2 or is he in a waiting list? IF ok Rob can't let him know, thanks Mick

5 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Cheers Paul brekky o n me next time I am out in something else, that I will eventually apply the magic to, May after cancel my role in the line up for the Borders run but @Saxosim is keen to take my place rather than being a foot soldier in the passenger seat of @Davidbf1.com would that be in order @RBD914 v2 or is he in a waiting list? IF ok Rob can't let him know, thanks Mick

Thanks @bally4563 see you on Sunday.

44 minutes ago, bagss2 said:

Great work @Saxosim!

Cheers, Baggers.

Cheers Paul for some links to cars, but that one you showed me with the red interior...... nice ish but I think I would puke!!! A bit Marmite... me thinks?

Mick

4 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Cheers Paul for some links to cars, but that one you showed me with the red interior...... nice ish but I think I would puke!!! A bit Marmite... me thinks?

Mick

Well personally I love it. :wub:

Let's ask the people!!

What do folk think of this absolute beauty? I so wish I was in the market right now....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709259658498?atmobcid=soc3

@Jason986S? @Lonewolfgjp? @Stuart21UK?

Cheers, Baggers.

2 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

Hi Paul @bagss2 I know you have impeccable taste but that is not up my strasser ! Rather nail my testicles to a plank and sit in front of sea of red!!

No worries Mick.

Slight shame though, as I hoped to buy it off you cheap once you'd spent ages improving it.... ;)

Cheers, Baggers.

49 minutes ago, bally4563 said:

There is a reserve list for such eventualities.....

R

Archived