when is a boxter a classic car

niceone

8 hours ago, niceone said:

at what age do boxters become a classic car what do you think will be sought after

I pay classic car insurance and porsche have the 986 on its classics register. Everything else is up for debate.

The earliest cars will be the most desirable at first then it will be any of them in good condition and the anniversary models. 

Then 986 has the 'modern classic' moniker already. It will be coveted and sought after just before the prices generally start to rise.

8 minutes ago, fat haggis said:

i have had a 2003 FACELIFT 986  on a classic policy :wub:

Who with and what are the benefits/restrictions? (If it is cheaper, and/or have an agreed value it sounds interesting as I'm doing fewer miles than I thought I might do when I bought it (my motorcycle is still more fun in most, but not all, weathers);)

5 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

Who with and what are the benefits/restrictions? (If it is cheaper, and/or have an agreed value it sounds interesting as I'm doing fewer miles than I thought I might do when I bought it (my motorcycle is still more fun in most, but not all, weathers);)

a few diffrent places mate .. some polices can ad agreed value .benefit a lot cheaper and no no claims used on classics  restricted mileage ...  just call a few classic places and you will find out if its for you ... 

I use Locktons  - http://locktonperformance.com/our-cover/porsche.html - they will pay your PCGB membership for the first year if you are not already a member, I pay £315 - (5000 miles per year) for my car, you can use the free PCGB valuation and then get it agreed with Locktons - you can get Insurance cheaper elsewhere, but if you use PCGB for any track days this one covers damage, free breakdown cover EU wide etc as below.

The key benefits of Porsche insurance through our PCGB Scheme policy are:

• A fast and fair claims service.  

• You choose the repairer

• No arguments about the value of your Porsche after a claim.

• You can keep the salvage if your Porsche is written-off.  

• Five named drivers.

• You can use your Porsche for Track Days and Rallies.

• Your Porsche is insured for driving in the EU.

• Complete UK & EU breakdown cover.  

• We'll look after everything if your keys are stolen.

6 minutes ago, niceone said:

how old is classic and  when does that stop 

There is no dictionary definition. For tax purposes only pre 1973 cars are classics. After that it's all just a case of opinion labelling. 

7 hours ago, Southy said:

I use Locktons  - http://locktonperformance.com/our-cover/porsche.html - they will pay your PCGB membership for the first year if you are not already a member, I pay £315 - (5000 miles per year) for my car, you can use the free PCGB valuation and then get it agreed with Locktons - you can get Insurance cheaper elsewhere, but if you use PCGB for any track days this one covers damage, free breakdown cover EU wide etc as below.

The key benefits of Porsche insurance through our PCGB Scheme policy are:

• A fast and fair claims service.  

• You choose the repairer

• No arguments about the value of your Porsche after a claim.

• You can keep the salvage if your Porsche is written-off.  

• Five named drivers.

• You can use your Porsche for Track Days and Rallies.

• Your Porsche is insured for driving in the EU.

• Complete UK & EU breakdown cover.  

• We'll look after everything if your keys are stolen.

You won't acrue any no claims on this policy though & if you have ncb on your Boxster & have a fault claim, you will lose the lot.

I insured through Locktons for a few years & have 8 years ncb built up on a second car (Boxster) plus full ncb on my daily driver. I renewed last year with Mannings as if I had stayed with Locktons & had a fault claim then I would have lost all my ncb. This would have made it a financial disaster at renewal time & if I wanted to move away from Locktons in the future. The Mannings policy is near enough the same, but I accrue ncb & also have my current level protected.

1 hour ago, Boxstercol said:

You won't acrue any no claims on this policy though & if you have ncb on your Boxster & have a fault claim, you will lose the lot.

I insured through Locktons for a few years & have 8 years ncb built up on a second car (Boxster) plus full ncb on my daily driver. I renewed last year with Mannings as if I had stayed with Locktons & had a fault claim then I would have lost all my ncb. This would have made it a financial disaster at renewal time & if I wanted to move away from Locktons in the future. The Mannings policy is near enough the same, but I accrue ncb & also have my current level protected.

I moved to Manning in December, seems a decent policy, they even gave me maximum no claims with a letter from my company to state I hadn't had any accidents, and its protected, oh and it was pretty much the cheapest quote I got, and included track day cover, OE windscreen cover and an agreed value...

4 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

I thought to be classed as a classic car it has to be over 25 years old? Not sure where I've got that from, am I wrong ?

Yep I think that is fairly common interpretation, not sure why I think that either :huh:

Well  I guess once some fecker says "that's a poor  man's Porsche" then you can assume you are driving a "classic" unless you think you are driving a poor mans Porsche... In which case you are as much of a fecker as the sad idiot who could not really afford one... Ooops is that just me?!? 

43 minutes ago, JohnnyUK said:

Well  I guess once some fecker says "that's a poor  man's Porsche" then you can assume you are driving a "classic" unless you think you are driving a poor mans Porsche... In which case you are as much of a fecker as the sad idiot who could not really afford one... Ooops is that just me?!? 

?? ha ha

4 hours ago, Boxstercol said:

Good point I have my NCD separate from the boxster now, I'll be buying a shopping trolley soon so the NCD will go on that car. Wife already has her own car and max ncd.

23 hours ago, edc said:

For tax purposes only pre 1973 cars are classics. After that it's all just a case of opinion labelling. 

I think it's now a 40 year rolling date starting on the 1 January each year. So cars from 1978 and earlier are now classics and therefore VED exempt.

It'll be 2036 before any Boxster qualifies!

21 hours ago, Sazzy said:

I thought to be classed as a classic car it has to be over 25 years old? Not sure where I've got that from, am I wrong ?

20 hours ago, Topbox said:

Yep I think that is fairly common interpretation, not sure why I think that either :huh:

From memory, the original system exempted all cars more than 25 years old from paying road tax, but the scheme was scrapped in 97 making an original cut-off of 1973. Now its what Boxob said.

Are prices generally creeping up slightly on 986's , Ive seen a few threads recently on here and checked autotrader/pistonheads etc and most Boxsters are generally at the lowest £3995ish even launch 2.5s in good nick are bringing up around £4kish, once summer time comes are we expecting a few hundred quid more in increases? 

Decent 3.2 S's you cant seem to get a good one for under £5k now by the looks of it also. 

1 hour ago, karlp606 said:

Decent 3.2 S's you cant seem to get a good one for under £5k now by the looks of it also. 

I think you might be looking north of £6K for good one.

Archived