What would you do

Muddy

After over 1 year with my 65000 Black 2004 Black leather a very standard car with standard equipment very good service history Mot no advisorses and in very nice condition does have a power flow exhaust fitted so nice and drives perfect.

My Mot is done by MOT station that does all mid Sussex porsche cars and commented on how clean my Boxster is. I am tempted to upgrade to early 987 mainly for in the cabin upgrade and a little on the upgrade of the car itself. Will never be able to buy a latter car as my budget is limited. Shall l keep my 986 future price going up perhaps or upgrade to early 987. Will l regret letting go my genuine 986 which l know or be so happy to have probably 2005 987.

cheers muddy

24 minutes ago, Muddy said:

How much better is 987 to 986 am l being l just want a re freshed cabin and tweaks on performance and looks.

I think several would fairly summarise it as "it feels a bit more grown up".  

The question is whether you want that feeling.

Little point in my opinion to go from a good late 986 to an unknown early 987. The 986 has a character of its own, its a great. To see a 987 as superior missses the point, why do people pay massive money for a 1930' s Bentley and not a modern Supercar. You won' t loose much money on your 986, keep it smart, tuck some money away and when you do need to change you have some options. Thats what I'm doing, you may choose a different route but you did ask :thumbsup_anim:

Snap done the same all part of proggression the 987 is definitely more roomier and noticeably so...... Move on up through the ranks is my advice and 280 bhp straight out of the box.

7 hours ago, kevs said:

I agree with Topbox but then I would say that as a 986 owner approaching 10 years of ownership next month!

And there you have it @Muddy if you can afford it fine, if the budget is tight enjoy what you have first and formost and plan for the longer term. I am sure there are one or two members here who could purchase a top spec. brand new Boxster, but choose to drive a 986 for the enjoyment of what they are and what they represent. :thumbsup_anim:

13 hours ago, Topbox said:

Little point in my opinion to go from a good late 986 to an unknown early 987. The 986 has a character of its own, its a great. To see a 987 as superior missses the point, why do people pay massive money for a 1930' s Bentley and not a modern Supercar. You won' t loose much money on your 986, keep it smart, tuck some money away and when you do need to change you have some options. Thats what I'm doing, you may choose a different route but you did ask :thumbsup_anim:

+ 1, there are modern hot hatches with loads of electronic trickery that are roomier and much faster with a nicer cabin, but do you really want that.

i love the character of the 986 and Ive owned modern 911’s

Depends on what you want really. To me the 986 is raw, full of flaws, cramped, dated but on it's day and the right road about as much fun as you can have without being naked. 

The 987 doesn't really appeal to me (personal opinion) because of the fact it looks, dare i say it, a bit conservative and old man. The 981 is a different beast altogether and i'd have one in a heartbeat but the 987 is just a bit too halfway house.

Thanks for all your wise words and wisdom a good mix of keep or upgrade. Just polished and been for a blast just to make me more undecided. Guess if a black 987 jumped on my lap l will be very tempted but feel a bit of loyalty to the 986 to keep her in good health. So to conclude ?

cheers muddy.

Can not work out how to put autotrader advert in message so this is the dealers website. It’s the first of the 987 priced pretty low looked at MOT history and not too bad did sit for a year and odd failure as bad as tyres worn down to canvas which sounds bit like neglect at some point. See it has the sport Chrono. Dealer says full service. Did buy my boxster from him so trust him as dealer. Short Mot.

any thoughts worth a look does seem cheap or keep my 986

cheers muddy

www.jamescarringtoncars.co.uk 

Text File.txt

4 minutes ago, Muddy said:

Can not work out how to put autotrader advert in message so this is the dealers website. It’s the first of the 987 priced pretty low looked at MOT history and not too bad did sit for a year and odd failure as bad as tyres worn down to canvas which sounds bit like neglect at some point. See it has the sport Chrono. Dealer says full service. Did buy my boxster from him so trust him as dealer. Short Mot.

cheers muddy

Text File.txt

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801313253589?make=PORSCHE&model=BOXSTER&utm_source=Email_a_Friend&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Email_a_friend_car

Just checked and that link works for you...

27 minutes ago, Muddy said:

cheers muddy

Text File.txt

MOT history looks ok, but I wouldn't be to worried about it as long as the current one doesn't have a list of advisories as long as your arm. Can't see any missed ones, or adv for tyres down to canvas, just a nail ?

Has done 24k in the last 9 months which seems quite high. Not a problem in itself, but could well have thrown up some issues in that time. Possibly some suspension components might need a refresh at this mileage.

As for the change then it all depends what you want from a car. My thoughts are similar to @That986 above, though I prefer the more modern exterior on the 987.

I myself often think about buying a cheap 987, but I know my 986 inside out warts and all after owning it for a number of years, and building up that confidence again  in a new (to you) car can take some time.

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Muddy said:

After over 1 year with my 65000 Black 2004 Black leather a very standard car with standard equipment very good service history Mot no advisorses and in very nice condition does have a power flow exhaust fitted so nice and drives perfect.

My Mot is done by MOT station that does all mid Sussex porsche cars and commented on how clean my Boxster is. I am tempted to upgrade to early 987 mainly for in the cabin upgrade and a little on the upgrade of the car itself. Will never be able to buy a latter car as my budget is limited. Shall l keep my 986 future price going up perhaps or upgrade to early 987. Will l regret letting go my genuine 986 which l know or be so happy to have probably 2005 987.

cheers muddy

Mr MOT?

If so, They do mine to

Well went had a look at the 987 never realised how different the cockpit is and it certainly impressed me almost felt like different car. Car had a good history and paperwork to back up. Alloys could do with refresh front tyres slight inner wear and rear discs bit groovy. Guess that reflects price but think l really am taken but still have that first Boxster loyalitty but think she will be up for sale end of week. Sorry to all the dedicated 986 owners.

Sounds like you've made your mind up, and I don't blame you!

Looks like a lot of car for a good price!

I moved from the 986s to 987s and have never regretted it. I still love the 986 and agree it really is a good car which is slightly rawer to drive.

But for me the 987 feels very similar to drive but a lot more modern and comfortable driving position.

As you own a 986 then you know the areas of concern, mainly the same for the 987 suspension brake discs etc. Also you have mentioned a few bits will need replacing/updating, which I think is reflected in the price but you don't need to do it all at once.

I have been quite lucky with mine, spent a little on suspension parts and recently the gearbox cables but mainly I've spent the most on cosmetic bits.

I am about to replace the front discs and pads as they are pass their best ?

They are both great cars but if you fancy a change i don't think you will regret it ?

Archived