Driving in Snow tips ?

Buzzlt

Well that was a drive home from hell. Luckily only about 11 miles and not particularly hilly but enough to get stuck 2 or 3 times. Some decent chaps pushed me about 800 yards up one hill for which I am eternally grateful. I know snow tyres are great having driven to the alpes most years skiing but for the few days we have snow here I wouldnt have thought it was worth it. I am surprised that a mid engined car with weight over the driving wheels does not grip better and I had to sit there while all the other cars (probably FWD) just drive around me. Tried turning off the PSM and think that made things a bit better of not quite sideways everwhere. Any other too tips on how to get more traction or is just the tyres ?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tyres are too wide so you get no grip.  The best advice I can give is to maintain a good gap between you and the car in front and keep your speed up, as in if you are going too slow you will not get up the hills.  I allow the car in front to clear an uphill section before I enter, I also try to plan my route to keep it as flat as possible, if you have to turn round in a Boxster you will likely get stuck in the middle of the road.  Driving a Porsche you will be lucky to get any help if you get stuck.

Don't. :mellow:

Cheers, Baggers.

As usual everyone thinks snow tyres are just for snow. They're called Winters tyres and work far better than Summer tyres in temps under 7 degrees, with or without snow. I wasn't allowed them when I had a company car but now I have my own car I got a set. 4 years on still on the same set and I've been out and driving about over the past few days without a single problem (although not in the Porsche, hats off to you for risking that!) Cost is negligible as they reduce the wear on your summers and if you have the space to store a second set of rims and swap them over yourself costs are very little.

I've been considering selling the tin top recently and just running the Boxster as a daily but no way would I do that without having a set of winters for the boxster.

If more people had them fitted the country wouldn't come to a standstill every time we had 1/2 inch of snow and the accident rates in icy weather would drop significantly.

12 minutes ago, CMA said:

As usual everyone thinks snow tyres are just for snow. They're called Winters tyres and work far better than Summer tyres in temps under 7 degrees, with or without snow. I wasn't allowed them when I had a company car but now I have my own car I got a set. 4 years on still on the same set and I've been out and driving about over the past few days without a single problem (although not in the Porsche, hats off to you for risking that!) Cost is negligible as they reduce the wear on your summers and if you have the space to store a second set of rims and swap them over yourself costs are very little.

I've been considering selling the tin top recently and just running the Boxster as a daily but no way would I do that without having a set of winters for the boxster.

If more people had them fitted the country wouldn't come to a standstill every time we had 1/2 inch of snow and the accident rates in icy weather would drop significantly.

This.   I use winters as well all winter - that's why they are called winter tyres.   Amazing really the number of people that don't realise that winter tyres are much better than summers in the... Winter.  Clue is in the name I guess.  Snow performance is just a bonus its the performance in wet and cold that really matters, much reduced stopping distances.

If you have space to store a spare set of wheels and the capability to swap them over once a year it's a no brainer for me.  

Agree. Occasionally folk on here sell winters. If you have 18s, @coullstar is at the moment, though I think he's on the point of selling them. AA tyres or Black circles usually good prices, but watch the age of BC 's tyres..I bought 2 rears for my old BMW and they were 4 yrs old!

Agree. Occasionally folk on here sell winters. If you have 18s, @coullstar is at the moment, though I think he's on the point of selling them. AA tyres or Black circles usually good prices, but watch the age of BC 's tyres..I bought 2 rears for my old BMW and they were 4 yrs old!

Winter tyres are great, I have used them on various vehicles and they make a real difference.

My Vitara with winters on could go absolutely anywhere, it was fantastic (why did I get rid a few months back!).

My Boxster is on winters but is staying in the garage at the moment though :) 

Recommend winter tyres, went out yesterday in the X5 (Vredestein 4 xtreme tyres) drove through a foot of snow no problem, went up a steep hill that a landrover defender had slipped all over and struggled to get up without a problem! As others have said they are much more than an occasional tyre, they handle better in the wet and under 7 degrees they are a softer compound so just grip. I have done 4 winters on mine still on 7mm. 

Looking for some for my new to me Boxster that I should have collected yesterday due to weather conditions. Hopefully will collect on Monday. 

Tips, from someone who has driven to work all week in London on summer Pirellis. My car has no PSM, t/c or any gadgets to keep you inline and tbh when I've tried a car with that it just makes matters worse.  

Leave a gap and go at your pace, b*ll*cks to everyone else. Set off in second, first is useless. Learn to feather brakes to get front end grip. If going uphill use next to no throttle and make sure you have a run at it, going down hill leave it in gear and engine brake. The rears are useless when icy as they're too wide but i found on fresh snow they were fine, intermediate slushy stuff was slightly dodgier. 

Biggest tip i can give you though is find an open area and go play, learn what your car will do and how to control a slide. You'd be amazed at how much and little grip you can get from using the right/wrong pedal. Make it wheelspin and find where it starts and stops to slide, hit the brakes hard to see if you trust the ABS to do it's thing. In other words get it moving around and FEEL where it goes. It's a great feeling when you can mess with the throttle/brake and keep a slide going and under control.

If you do go out and play then you'll have a far more intimate knowledge of your car that a lot won't and the knowledge will pass over when you're pushing on in the dry. That said I would have liked to try some winters to feel the difference.

My first car was a Sierra 2.0 ghia and i lived in Huddersfield where it really snows, you soon learn how to drive around in it and it's a great skill to have. 

1 minute ago, Menoporsche said:

Another point of view not yet mentioned - while your car may be on winters, other non-expert drivers won't be - and may well slide into you.

Absolutely perfectly put. Seen so many people driving around sliding because they're smashing brakes on and tailgating. 

I will never drive a winter again in the UK without winters tyres.  First used them in Norway about 8-9years ago and immediately bought a set for my car.  Its night and day difference.

Many people think that 4wd is the answer and whislt it helps get you going it doesn't help you stop or steer any better which is where winter tyres help.  I usually have mine on from Oct to April so that's a good chunk of the year so worthwhile investment IMO.  Id keep mine but have 3 other cars to use so not realy much need for winters on the 911.  

My Boxster was AMAZING fun yesterday in the snow :D At 15mph in first gear, lifting off made enough engine braking to lock up the rears and spit you sideways. Wouldn't recommend it if you actually need to go anywhere though, and certainly avoid hills! I had to go down a small hill at idle speed in 1st to keep it from sliding.

Useful input thanks guys, pretty much decided that a days money is not worth smashing the car. Very much doubt I could get back up the hill and out of my road anyway. I had a spare set of rims before for my Van with winters on and agree it totally transformed it. It was a DSG so without them wouldnt even move. Most I could get out of it was 29MPH to and get up the hills and agree that lift off oversteer was the scariest so just tried to keep my foot in. Luckily never needed the brakes.

Would be very interested if @coullstar or anyone else has either a set or even a set of scabby 18 “ wheels I could get some for ?

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Another point of view not yet mentioned - while your car may be on winters, other non-expert drivers won't be - and may well slide into you.

Agree with this, the number of drivers I've seen that are not driving to the conditions is scary.  Particularly around Harpenden it's the YM set in their 4x4s on summer rubber thinking they're invincible because they're in a RRS.

A few trips up to the alps has taught me a lot about respecting the conditions and being prepared.

Archived