PSE Best price

CMA

Seen a 981 S that takes my fancy, nice spec just doesn't have PSE and my current one does and I don't fancy loosing it. So what is the best price anyone has negotiated for a PSE from an OPC? Tequipment lists it at almost £2k which would blow my budget. As the car is from an OPC with warranty other alternatives to PSE are not of interest.

1 hour ago, topradio said:

Can't you get it swapped over from you old car?

Installation cost from OPC is still £600 even if you can source one, and you would need the other parts for connecting it up. The full kit has about 30 parts. There has been talk of some getting it for £1600-1700 but when I was enquiring a year ago £2300 from Wilmslow and Sheffield(inc tips) (about £2000 without) was the best they would do.

Hmm thanks for those prices @Greenman I'll have to chat and see what they can do, it would be a deal breaker without PSE but with it at those prices on top would be a budget breaker....tricky.

Good shout on the swap over @topradio never thought of that, one to hit them with too, if I go and take a look.

9 minutes ago, CMA said:

Good shout on the swap over @topradio never thought of that, one to hit them with too, if I go and take a look.

The swap over presents a few issues though.

1: you still need to pay for installation which is 8 hrs (IIRC).

2. You would need to get hold of the assorted parts required for the installation, (i.e new programmable console switch £150, vacuum pipes, solenoids, etc etc)

3 you would need to remove reprogram the old car (extra expense) if the PSE was removed. 

All in it would be cheaper but still probably circa £1000.

i think your best bet is just hitting them with the  ‘PSE or no sale’ and see what price they can do it for. I suspect they could probably install it for £1000 to get a sale.

Yeah, thinking Id pay all that money and have a 5 year old system, instead of a bit more cash and a brand new system. 

All depends what they offer for mine as trade in too, if its based on WBAC prices its probably a no deal anyway.

You should play them at their own game and claim that there's no demand for cars without PSE. Depending on how you cut it you could ask them to fit it as part of the deal. You wouldn't be paying the asking for the new car anyway (unless they offer a stunning price for your old one)

1 hour ago, RBD914 v2 said:

Just remember they usually have a margin of about £6,000 to play with.

I usually manage to get at least £2,000 of that off them one way or another...!

Good point, Any tips welcome :) Although  think it might be a bit too much of a stretch got to be worth a shot

8 minutes ago, CMA said:

Good point, Any tips welcome :) Although  think it might be a bit too much of a stretch got to be worth a shot

Not at all. If their offer is the same as WBAC (which is about the lowest valuation you will find) Then asking them to fit PSE as part of the deal will be quite reasonable. If they wont play ball then walk, there's plenty more fish. Despite what some dealers might have you believe times are hard (relatively) and its a buyers market.

You have to play hard ball and be fully prepared to walk away and they need to know it.

@CMA - Whatever the OPC offer you for your car in part exchange, push them for another £2,000 based in what you have been offered elsewhere (they never check).

To get your business they will then discount the car they are selling by £2,000 in order to give you what you want for yours.

Then sell your car privately for more than they were offering and buy their car for the £2,000 discounted price.

Bingo!

@CMAif you're serious about selling your 981 then list it on here, there's always somebody looking. You will then be a cash buyer and you can start off by bidding them in the b*ll*cks (don't be shy about it, they do it themselves every day)

Edit - ooh just noticed 4000 posts!

17 minutes ago, topradio said:

Despite what some dealers might have you believe times are hard (relatively) and its a buyers market.

You have to play hard ball and be fully prepared to walk away and they need to know it.

Indeed it is. Got nearly £7K off the advertised price of my Cayman, plus £2K extra on my 981 Boxster trade in compared to their first offer.

37 minutes ago, topradio said:

@CMAif you're serious about selling your 981 then list it on here, there's always somebody looking. You will then be a cash buyer and you can start off by bidding them in the b*ll*cks (don't be shy about it, they do it themselves every day)

Edit - ooh just noticed 4000 posts!

Congrats on the 4k posts.... :)

Having a NC500 road trip coming up in a couple of weeks i need the boxster for that, once thats over then i may pop it up for sale and then have a more leisurely hunt for one of the spec im after but for now doing the NC500 in my other boring car isnt an option. :)

Right, off to see the OPC tomorrow about the 981S ... they have recently put up a 2012 2.7 similar spec/miles to mine but without PSE and it's PDK (mines a 2013 manual) for £32500

Does the PDK command a premium or is the manual more sought after? Just trying to find a sensible price we both might be happy with. I know I wont get £32500 for mine as they want some profit but I want to limit their profit with sensible arguments

56 minutes ago, CMA said:

Does the PDK command a premium or is the manual more sought after? Just trying to find a sensible price we both might be happy with. I know I wont get £32500 for mine as they want some profit but I want to limit their profit with sensible arguments

Are you trying to start a fight now?

The manual is rarer but, for the reason that the PDK was more popular, stands to reason that the auto box will be more in demand secondhand following the same logic.

Be prepared for yours being the wrong colour, specification, star sign etc and great sucking of teeth.

Personally I find the best way is to do my homework working out what I want for my old car and what I'm prepared to offer for the new one. I simply present them with a figure that I want to pay to swap. This saves them baffling you with bullshyate and confusing the offer with lots of prices.

I have in the past been asked to broker a deal for friends or family and if the ultimate buyer is female and swoons over the mota saying its their dream car and they must have it, it makes my job 10 times harder.

Remember - first of all its a buyers market (despite what they will tell you) and you simply have to walk away if the deal is wrong.

On 25/03/2018 at 9:34 PM, Malcolm E Box said:

Indeed it is. Got nearly £7K off the advertised price of my Cayman, plus £2K extra on my 981 Boxster trade in compared to their first offer.

Might useful to offer up some tips or the process of negotiation on that. Good work btw!

Mine was a painful transaction, but I ended up with almost 18% off.  £5k on the sticker price and £2k of extras/apologies at OPC.

Eg I asked them if the satnag was the latest version when we were back in the showroom.  Then quickly changed the subject to service history so he was concentrating on his tablet.  Then after I signed I reminded him he hadn't confirmed the latest version.  He just said "I'll make sure it is" That's a grand there once you include the 3 hrs labour to update PCM and sat nag.

For the sticker price I had already viewed another car and got a finance quote to show them.  Ohh and they can move about 2% on the finance rate too if you push them hard.

Take the emotion out of the transaction and treat it as a business deal.  I often struggle with this, but for once I stuck to it and played off salesman and sales manager.  So salesman gave me sat nag upgrade, salesmangave me the boot liners and, respray etc.  Business manager gave me the huff and I really wanted to punch him - he's the one they call in to "negotiate" finance rates.  Just remember it's not your responsibility to pay their commissions.

HAve fun, and good luck

1 hour ago, Greenman said:

@CMA  I’m not sure how much you are looking to spend but have you seen the two in this thread, both excellent specs, (although the orange is possibly an acquired taste)

Yes that orange one is quite...errr...unique.... :)

Just done a deal. Discussed in showroom, couldnt get close, they tried everything. We couldnt agree, so we walked. Within 10mins they had called and left answerphone message saying they have a better deal including the sports exhaust. Knocked them down a few more quid and they said they'd put me in for the next range day in the 718 :)

Only stipulation was it needed to be done before the end of the month, guess numbers were low due to snow this month.....

So bring on a 981S with PDK and Sports Plus with Sports Exhaust on Saturday :D have to see how I like it after having the manual for 2 years, lets see if the hype is justified :D (not starting a war I hope) :)

52 minutes ago, Greenman said:

Congrads.  Which OPC?  Any Pics.

Interior:

41033651812_353d204643_z.jpg

Rear:

27203807338_34ee9f6f6a_z.jpg

Front:

41033652062_dafcb7bf3c_z.jpg

Button Shot, with the Sports Exhaust button to follow in a few weeks:

41033652202_1836e5911f_z.jpg

Nah, PASM is for wimps :P Wheel is very nice but going to take some getting used to not having the volume control on the wheel anymore.

It has the dynamic engine mounts so half way there, and when sports plus is on, its rather brutal and tight. Just got to get used to the kickdown. That surprised me how quick it dropped and went first time. Full leather dash is quite a nice touch, give a quality feel over my old one.

38 minutes ago, CMA said:

Just got to get used to the kickdown. That surprised me how quick it dropped and went first time

Yes it is amazing how quick it can change down, good when you know what to expect, though you can also overtake by getting the gearbox to just change down a cog or so by increasing accelerator without actually kicking down. Of course if it’s more planned overtake you can shift into manual and knock down a gear or two before you do your acceleration, I tend to do this as I feel more in control of what the car is doing, or just use the paddles to drop a couple of gears even when in auto mode.

also note that pulling both paddles at once shifts to neutral.

Archived