987 roof wear patch

Menoporsche

Who else has this? My 2008 car has about 40k, is nearly always driven roof down but stored in garage with roof up. I now have a serious wear patch, in form of a 1.5 inch tear, precisely between rear of side window and rear window, maybe 3in up from body. Identical on both sides but right worse than left. 

Anyone notice anything? If it’s not normal then I wonder if it came from a badly adjusted clamshell when the ball joints snapped a few years ago. I should locate before it wears all the way through :(  

2 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Who else has this? My 2008 car has about 40k, is nearly always driven roof down but stored in garage with roof up. I now have a serious wear patch, in form of a 1.5 inch tear, precisely between rear of side window and rear window, maybe 3in up from body. Identical on both sides but right worse than left. 

Anyone notice anything? If it’s not normal then I wonder if it came from a badly adjusted clamshell when the ball joints snapped a few years ago. I should locate before it wears all the way through :(  

82k on mine and i have wear on both sides in roughly the area you mention - fabric looks scuffed up and looks dirty as a result (Stone Grey hood) but it's just an optical effect. 

Mine has similar marks as well, take a photo next time you have it out (your Boxster that is) do you leave the top down when it's stored away in the garage for any long periods of time ?

Guvs.

Top is always down when I leave it parked at work, but I think never wet (or incredibly rarely like once a year), but only for 8 hours; when it goes back to the garage for a week the top goes up.

It strikes me that it must be movement of sorts that abrades, I don't see how leaving it static in any position can cause that.

I have taken a photo but PhotoFeckit isn't playing. It seems to read it as a movie. 

13 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

It strikes me that it must be movement of sorts that abrades, I don't see how leaving it static in any position can cause that.

Good point.

Guvs.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:26 PM, richardjjs said:

Wonder if its worth putting some type of patch inside before it gets any worse
Surely someone supplies a repair kit

He is a dab hand with Duct Tape ?

Didn't Stu post something similar with his 981?

1 hour ago, EXY said:

He is a dab hand with Duct Tape ?

Didn't Stu post something similar with his 981?

yep, and got nowhere with Porsche on a warranty claim  1 year into ownership with rubbing marks on both sides - 'they all do that sir'

now car is with them for new roof due to tear in seam near drivers window....also not covered under warranty

IMO there is a fault in the mechanism if it rubs itself when folded but what would I know as a German manufacturer (and their warranty providers) clearly think its normal for this to happen 

<sarcasm mode off>

I have a thread somewhere about it, its also on my owners thread too (which I'll update once the car is back from OPC/CHW in 3 weeks)

@Gutley that's the one :(  Mine might be an inch lower.

It's starting to look like a design fault.

Gary's point about silicone spray is an interesting one, but I just fear with silicone that it has other side effects, eg on the colour. Certainly no recolouring would stick to it. Guess it would assist the waterproofing :) 

Wonder how it's done, I'm guessing something about a fold being pushed on by the clamshell when shut. If it is a hard edge on the inside of the clamshell, or on the base below, one could file it or mould  a plastic around it to soften it somehow. But would need to identify clearly what is causing it.

22 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Much as I don't want to buy a new roof, that is my car.

If you're referring to the colour, sunlight does funny things to camera processors.

Insides.jpg

That’s more like it. My favourite.??

Archived