981 S minor service

Adamsky

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, GTSMarky said:

Thanks.

I'm due a major plus alternator belt, plugs, brake fluid.

Checked with the other nearest OPC and they're within £20 (should be the same if it's actually fixed prices) so I left it booked where it is..

What price have you been quoted? 

Does this include Air filters, as these now seem to have been removed from the Major Service joblist ?  If your car is 4 years old and hasn’t had air filter done yet (as it’s not part of minor service either) then I would insist on these being done unless you are on extreamly low mileage.  Belt should just need checking at 4 years (which again has now been removed from the Major Service joblist. 

My Major is due next Feb and I’m trying to baseline some prices before I ask around.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:11 PM, Greenman said:

What price have you been quoted? 

Does this include Air filters, as these now seem to have been removed from the Major Service joblist ?  If your car is 4 years old and hasn’t had air filter done yet (as it’s not part of minor service either) then I would insist on these being done unless you are on extreamly low mileage.  Belt should just need checking at 4 years (which again has now been removed from the Major Service joblist. 

My Major is due next Feb and I’m trying to baseline some prices before I ask around.

Don't know - I'll check..

2 hours ago, daz05 said:

Are the air filters due at 6 yrs? 

That’s what my OPC told me in June, now extended from 4 to 6 years for air filter replacement! Think I will take the plunge, inspect them  myself and replace as required!

The schedule here https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-service-and-tech/104324-981-maintenance-schedule-do-items-summary.html

suggests they are due at 4 years /40k Miles (8C)   Which given they were part of the fixed price major service until about 6 months ago should surely be correct.  I’m perplexed at why they have been removed from the Major Service schedule.

edit,  just seen ringers reply- most people thought 4 years was too long, how can 6 years be right?

I think in some countries servicing cost over x number of years is an important statistic when looking at new cars. Manufactures are also forced to monitor the environmental impact of the cars they sell. They're all chasing fractions of a percent now so changing this filter replacement requirement might help Porsche get a point closer to the newer regs. Hell a few years ago manufacturers were talking about making cars with parts which could be recycled into the newer cars and that's without melting them down etc.

12 hours ago, daz05 said:

Are the air filters due at 6 yrs? 

the previous owner of my car got decent .  K&N High Performance replacement air filters fitted to my car ..  cheaper in the long run i think and a better intake noise 

2 hours ago, fat haggis said:

the previous owner of my car got decent .  K&N High Performance replacement air filters fitted to my car ..  cheaper in the long run i think and a better intake noise 

Behave yourself  - If you can hear the intake noise you've got the wrong exhaust!!!

2 hours ago, fat haggis said:

Yeh I’ve seen these, about double the price of the standard Porsche filters (£120 vs £70), not an option if you have a warranty.

i think the ‘High Performance’ in this case means improved airflow, which looks possible looking at the design, but I do wonder if the filtration is as good? Certainly the filter material surface area is much reduced.  As you say though should give a nicer/louder  induction noise.  It says they can go 50k miles before cleaning, maybe that’s because they dont actually stop much?,  if that is the case maybe I should be worrying about my 4 year old filters with 20k on?

Mine were not changed at 4yrs by the OPC. I bought it shortly after and when checking the filters were hanging with muck. 

I fitted K&N, purely for the reason i run them in my bikes and cars for many years. Easy to maintain.

Not sure i can claim any improvement in performance, but during my ownership i shall save a few quid and i enjoy tinkering.....

I change my air filters along with oil and filter every year regardless of the mileage, always have on all my cars. This year the air filters were noticeably full of muck and dust, perhaps something to do with the extra dry weather. Preventive maintenance I suggest is better than the cost of repairs. Each to his own? .

21 hours ago, Greenman said:

The schedule here https://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-and-boxster-service-and-tech/104324-981-maintenance-schedule-do-items-summary.html

suggests they are due at 4 years /40k Miles (8C)   Which given they were part of the fixed price major service until about 6 months ago should surely be correct.  I’m perplexed at why they have been removed from the Major Service schedule.

edit,  just seen ringers reply- most people thought 4 years was too long, how can 6 years be right?

From what I can tell from the service book and conversations with OPC's it has always been 6 years in the UK. It is the original book that came with the car so it hasn't changed since 2012.

• 3 weeks later...

I've been quoted the following by an OPC on a 4 year old car (13K miles, oil last changed two years ago at 6K):

£657 - major service

£63 - Check Ancillary Unit Mounts And Chassis Visual Inspection of all Rubber Mounts For Damage (Composite work)

£234 - Replace Spark Plugs Every 60K Miles / 90K Kms or every 4 Years (Composite Work) Without Wheels Removed

£54 - Check Drive Belt (Composite Work) Includes Rear Wall Flap Remove And Install

£131 - Replace Brake Fluid Every - 2 Years Manual Transmission G81.20 Fixed Price (Composite Work) Wheels Fitted

£62 - Replace Tyre Sealant (After Check Use By Date) (Composite Work)

The service cost is a little higher than Porsche suggests (£657 vs £630) and the brake fluid change is higher as well (£131 vs £95). Any comments on the other prices? And what does "composite work" mean - that the price is only valid as part of the major (or minor) service?

An update - spoke to a different OPC and got them to reduce the major service and spark plug service price from the Porsche published price by 20% by challenging them with a local indie's prices. And brake fluid service at £95 so went ahead and booked it. Includes a Boxster loan car and posh coffee too. :)

2 hours ago, Carmine said:

An update - spoke to a different OPC and got them to reduce the major service and spark plug service price from the Porsche published price by 20% by challenging them with a local indie's prices. And brake fluid service at £95 so went ahead and booked it. Includes a Boxster loan car and posh coffee too. :)

My only comment would be about the air filters, the above will likely not include them.  With 13k miles you may feel it isn’t required.

Air filters are a little confusing/complicated: my service book lists changing the particle filter (inside the car) and the air intake pre filter (front luggage compartment) at minor and major services and the "filter elements of air cleaner" every 6 years or 60K miles. So I gather the car has three distinct types of filters; the first two above are for the air we breathe and the last one is for the engine air?

according to the parts pdf the part numbers are as follows:

991 572 371 00 - air intake pre-filter

991 573 623 00 - particle filter

981 110 130 00 - engine air filter (2 required)

Yes you are right. The engine air filter (981 110 130 00) is not now included in the Major Service (it was until the end of last year). So if you do want that doing you have to specifically request it (it’s not required for Porsche Warranty as 6 years is the required interval). If you are happy to go 6 years on the same air filters (which with only 13k currently is reasonable approach) then just leave until next minor service.   But refer to mneil post above for one opinion.

• 1 month later...

I thought air filters has gone out to every 4 years !

I certainly wouldn't want to leave them that long.

What about brake fluid - isn't that another biannual replacement on a separate bill ?

1 hour ago, Patt said:

I thought air filters has gone out to every 4 years !

I certainly wouldn't want to leave them that long.

What about brake fluid - isn't that another biannual replacement on a separate bill ?

Air filters last 6 yrs but most likely mileage linked also.

Archived