Anyone set-up Home-link in your 981

tony_zx9r

Just been configuring my 981 and came across the Home-link feature where you can programme the buttons up in the roof panel to open your electric garage door as you approach. 

We tried to set it up, followed the instructions but could not get the car to learn the blipper code - just wondered if anyone else managed to get it to work & do you have any tips please ?

I couldn’t, but assume that as my car is a US build, the frequency is wrong. However, as it never left Europe, I did wonder if the frequency is right and I’m doing it wrong...

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

I couldn’t, but assume that as my car is a US build, the frequency is wrong. However, as it never left Europe, I did wonder if the frequency is right and I’m doing it wrong...

I had the same thought, is it it me or the technology. Whilst stood in front of the car moving the garage remote

around, I pressed the button only for the garage door to activate and come down towards my head. I had forgotten to isolate the door ?

1 hour ago, Tony Daniel said:

Whats the make of your garage door remote, the homelink should work with the main ones like Chamberlain and Sommer.

The garage door is a Hormann door and I think the motor & remotes are the same. I will check when I go out in the car later.

Just googled Hormann and the blipper came up - its a Horman HSE2

Homelink works on certain frequencies in Europe and US and they are not the same. However I think the European ones are a more "recent" standardisation.  Electrified my gates in about 2006-7, and it turns out the respectable brand I'd used was not using the same frequency (ISTR 27 rather than 400+). 10 years later changed the openers and asked them to ensure it was 400+.  Still didn't work after a couple of times so I gave up.  Happy to hear if tonyzx finds a solution as it might also be my problem.

4 hours ago, topradio said:

I didn't specify the Homelink option as you can guarantee that I wouldn't be compatible with my door remote, so this was my solution.

Good job you did there, I am still hoping my German door will work with my German car. No progress today, rain & F1 stopped play. I will have another go tomorrow 

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so today I tried 4 times to follow the procedure to set-up Home-link. I have watched the youtube videos and it should be easy but I cannot get it to work.

I found a very useful HomeLink website and chatted to a very nice lady from the USA who pointed out she could not help me because we have different frequency codes......but she did tell me how to "change regions" on website so that it gave me UK Customer support. I have now sent them an e-mail to see if they can tell me how to get it working.

https://homelink.com/home/welcome

The "change region" button is in the footer if anyone else needs it in future.

7 minutes ago, guest1 said:

Good luck @tony_zx9r I'll be interested to see how this works out and -- if -- I can learn from your experience to get homelink working on a 13 year old 997 !!

I will keep trying, Home-Link customer support said it was important to have new batteries in the remote and to move all mobile phones with bluetooth away from the area. 

They have asked me to try again and then call them (toll free) and they will help me get it working. Won't be until next week now as I am off to Belgium in an hours time for a bit of a drive ?

So today I had both Ian @T24RES and Patt @patt round to help me fit mesh grilles to my front bumper. Once it was done they wanted to have a go at fixing my Home-link issue.

So armed with the info from Home-Link support, we did four things:

1) checked the battery strength in my main remote - it was weak. Ian did this and fixed my voltmeter at the same time 

2) noted the position of the Home-link receiver when the bumper was off. It is behind the plastic strip between the headlight and bonnet on the left hand side as you look at the front of the car (when standing in front of the car). This is different from the instructions and the handbook

3) Turned bluetooth off in the car as the Support desk said it might interfere 

4) I found my other garage remote which had a stronger battery . Patt had to fix it though as the connections inside were not making great contact.

You can see the home-link receiver in the pic below with the bright blue plastic holder, top right of rad.

5uhub5O.jpg

Anyways, we tried again (Patt holding the remote) and it worked within about 15 seconds.

So now I can push button 1 up by the rear view mirror and the garage opens as I approach  

Thanks to Ian & Patt for their help in getting this working.

Well done @tony_zx9r for getting your garage door opener sorted (and having the nerve to take your new car to bits!). But don't we get pictures of the main purpose of your toils - your bumper grilles?

29 minutes ago, Jon61 said:

Well done @tony_zx9r for getting your garage door opener sorted (and having the nerve to take your new car to bits!). But don't we get pictures of the main purpose of your toils - your bumper grilles?

yes, I will do in the morning as I took a lot of pics and I want to add some narrative so I can remember what I learn't from Ian. But be warned, the 981 is not a pretty sight with the front bumper off, looks like I crashed it ?

Archived