Thinking of selling need advice

Southy

I'm considering selling my car after nearly four years of ownership,  I've got an itch that no doctor can cure. 

How do people go about determining the value of cars old ones like my 2001 986S.

Just now, Southy said:

I'm considering selling my car after nearly four years of ownership,  I've got an itch that no doctor can cure. 

How do people go about determining the value of cars old ones like my 2001 986S.

What are you thinking will satisfy your itch?  

9 1 1 by any chance? 

Stick it on ebay / autotrader at  the top price you think it's worth and drop it by £500 each week until you get a bite.

Or just search for similar cars and price it at the low end of the range, not at the bottom but low enough that it stands out but leaves some inevitable wiggle room.

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a bit of research and I may put an advert up.

I've spent a few $$$ on the car but I always knew that was more for me that for the next owner.

Could be the biggest regret ever hahah

10 minutes ago, Southy said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a bit of research and I may put an advert up.

I've spent a few $$$ on the car but I always knew that was more for me that for the next owner.

Could be the biggest regret ever hahah

I think this where everyone struggles TBH. If I added up what I'd spent on my car it's a lot more in the last 3 years alone than the car is worth, let alone the 5 years before that.  The car is worth what it's worth and the amount you've spent on it is largely irrelevant to it's value.  It might speed up the sale but the difference between a poorly maintained, poor condition example and an immaculately maintained example is less than we'd like or hope, sadly.

8 minutes ago, myfirstboxster said:

Sad fact is any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it , stick it on e-bay with no reserve and you might get a sobering idea of its worth , also selling a soft top coming into autumn isn't the best plan ?

People say that but for a car worth $6-7k (see what I did there @Southy ?) I would reckon the actual sale price differential would be a few hundreds summer to winter.  It's the number of potential buyers that drops off in winter rather than the value.  That said, if it were me I'd rather sell for a few hundred less now than than in spring when I might have had to spend a few hundred on maintenance, servicing, MOT etc to keep it roadworthy.

1 hour ago, myfirstboxster said:

Sad fact is any car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it , stick it on e-bay with no reserve and you might get a sobering idea of its worth , also selling a soft top coming into autumn isn't the best plan ?

Yep totally agree wrong time of year but I need it gone before I can take the next step not so much for the money but space only have a single garage. 

@mike597 I've spent as much as I paid for it originally, all money was to future proof the car, I've seen enough cars sold here to know I won't see a return on the money spent. 

Completed listings on eBay (the ones that actually sell) can give you an idea of the real world value rather then what people are asking for them. 

If you have done a fair bit of work on the car, then selling on here might yield you a better price, but anything with highish miles (istrc yours is over 100k) won't help. 

If it's running well, and doesn't need much doing to it, I would hang on to the car a bit longer, but I know too well what it's like when you get that itch to try something else.! 

Mines sitting on 72k mileage, so middle range I guess, I'm probably worst person to sell something I own,  I hate it and would rather just part ex it than deal with selling it, but I may need to man up a bit if I want extra $$$

4 minutes ago, Southy said:

Mines sitting on 72k mileage, so middle range I guess, I'm probably worst person to sell something I own,  I hate it and would rather just part ex it than deal with selling it, but I may need to man up a bit if I want extra $$$

My bad on the mileage. I hate selling cars, especially ones I have bonded with and invested time and money into. 

I think you're best off starting at a competitive price rather than dropping the price over time. You want it to shift fast so you can get on with the next step. Get people to come and see it and once they've driven it, be firm on price. Just sold my Spitfire via eBay auction and I'm just glad it's sold and out of the way soon rather than hanging around with a classified and maybe getting more for it. Something starting with a 5 seems about right. There's currently a 06 987 available for £6500 in the for sale section? Tough market out there.

My last one sold for £2500 more than we buy any car, so you maybe able to use their online quote and add £2500?

Sad to hear you’re thinking of moving on but if you want a hand giving that “for sale” type sparkle I happy to help you wiz it with the polisher?

6 hours ago, Menoporsche said:

Find other people selling theirs on ebay and message them every few days to ask if it's still available. Judge price for yours accordingly.

12 minutes ago, Andy Mac said:

Very good @Menoporsche ? think that went under the radar....

8 minutes ago, rowbos said:

It didn’t.  Topical ?

I started to think this was a valid option, well it was for someone  :)

Just seen that @andyrwhite has sold his similar car, so might be worth PM'ing him to find out what it sold for, who to, and where the purchaser came from. Looks like I might have been a bit harsh with the £5-6k figure if he got close to his asking and your's is in similar condition. There will always be a purchaser to buy a well looked after car at a premium, but it's how long it takes for them to show up. I suspect here is the best place to find them, but most are looking to trade up from a 986 rather than buying their first.

Archived