718 GTS spec

basaltbox

I specced up a similar one recently. Porsche code: PJZ1MD87 also played with Sapphire Blue code: PJCMW4B1

Spec is personal preference. I prefer the alcantara interior as I drive daily and set off at 6am so in winter the seats aren`t freezing cold and in summer not red hot. Just my own personal preference.

When do you hope to order ?

As GTB981 says, spec is really a very personal choice but that looks pretty well specced. I would always go with the GTS interior pack as I think it really makes the car stand out from the rest but I'm guessing you're not a fan of alcantara as you've had it all deleted!

The only thing I would suggest is that you try a car with and without power steering plus. I originally specced it for my 981GTS but took it off after reading some negative write ups on it. I think it makes it extremely light at slow speeds for tight manoeuvring but some reports said it felt pretty awful as it switches in and out or something like that , I can't fully remember.

Anyway I didn't spec it and I have no issue at all at any speed with the steering, fast bends on track or parking in town - it's all good!

Anyway, enjoy the whole ordering process and the anticipation leading up to collection day - it's a fantastic journey!

You will be looking forward to your new car!

As said specification is a personal thing - and yours is fine, you have gone for leather out of personal preference I guess rather than budget?

I would have the GTS interior - but like you with leather steering wheel.  Also I would drop PSP (didn't like it on my 991, too light at town speeds), my BGTS doesn't have it and is fine without it, I think Cruise is a good option too in these days of average speed limits - very useful.

Whatever you end up with - enjoy the buying experience!

A great spec . If i had a gts i wouldnt spec alacantara as i like coloured interiors. The pse extra  wouldnt affect you as its standard. 

I would re think the lane assist as in the Merc we have it and we have to switch it off in roadworks as they dont get rid of the old lines properly so the car thinks you are wandering and tries to correct you.

The aluminium gear shift lever is a work of art 

2 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Nice spec...having had a few new ones there is nothing to your spec I'd add. Interesting you went for the adaptive cruise control.

Adaptive cruise control is brilliant.... I got it mainly as I was used to the speed limiter on my bmw which is great in the average speed areas but with adaptive not only can I ensure I don't get carried away I can let it slow down for me when there are other cars in front then back up to speed when it clears.

I don't do it often but I've also driven around normal roads with it on but you need to pay even more attention in case something moves out of the way unexpectedly or a sharp bend etc. especially if the car is in sport mode as the ACC accelerates hard in sport mode to get back up to speed.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:20 AM, GTB981 said:

I specced up a similar one recently. Porsche code: PJZ1MD87 also played with Sapphire Blue code: PJCMW4B1

Spec is personal preference. I prefer the alcantara interior as I drive daily and set off at 6am so in winter the seats aren`t freezing cold and in summer not red hot. Just my own personal preference.

When do you hope to order ?

This month ?

9 hours ago, basaltbox said:

Thanks.  Appreciate all the comments. 

Interesting to hear about the midel revision.  Wasn’t aware - does that mean new builds change ?

Its all to the new WLPT ie real world mpg and co2 figures,the backlash from the VW scandal. All new cars sold from Sept the 1st have to adhere to these regs. Manufactures started revising their  cars a few months agpo but Porsche stopped all factory orders across the ranges to alter their cars.

In some cases cars now have a higher co2 than before but dont know on the Porsche front.

The 718 changes are now PSE standard across the range and some tech changes on the pcm and some phone bits. PDk only on sale when the order books open again followed by manual in around 6 months.

I had a play with the adaptive cruise and found it too sensitive to cars at your side and would often slow right down, before then accelerating back up to your selected speed.  The latter wasn't exactly smooth either.  I found I spent more time watching how close a vehicle was in the next lane rather than looking ahead.  In the end I turned it off and never used it again.  Having had multiple fights with lane assist (especially Vauxhall hire cars) I wouldn't spend the money to end up fighting the steering wheel to change lane. It becomes another button to turn off , just like the start/stop button.

I too would consider the GTS interior option, as I think it separates the GTS from a well specd S and should add to the resale/trade in value.

Perhaps seat cooling would be an option I would also consider.

with lane assist you have to indicate to change lanes - that's not how I was taught to drive.  I only tend to use cruise when in stupid road works or "smart" motorways so perhaps I'm not too used to it, but I found it annoying that if a vehicle was within about 1 mtr of me to the side the system would brake.  And then the re-acceleration was not as smooth as I would like.  Put it this way - I'd get left ear nagging for not driving nice/smoothly.

Yes you can switch it off, and you can adjust the distance to car in front, but not sideways.  Could be an option you waste money on so I would recommend testing before finalising your build.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, Patt said:

I had a play with the adaptive cruise and found it too sensitive to cars at your side and would often slow right down, before then accelerating back up to your selected speed.  The latter wasn't exactly smooth either.  I found I spent more time watching how close a vehicle was in the next lane rather than looking ahead.  In the end I turned it off and never used it again.  Having had multiple fights with lane assist (especially Vauxhall hire cars) I wouldn't spend the money to end up fighting the steering wheel to change lane. It becomes another button to turn off , just like the start/stop button.

I too would consider the GTS interior option, as I think it separates the GTS from a well specd S and should add to the resale/trade in value.

i like the gts interior option but i think it requires alcantara which we swapped for leather which we thought was a better spec as a dog will be a regular passenger !

On 9/22/2018 at 7:38 AM, basaltbox said:

This month ?

Regarding the model revision coming up - be careful what you commit to for the time being, it seems there are a lot of unknowns with price, standard features and even colours.  Have a read of this thread on PCGB https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=995139#1008378 

On 9/29/2018 at 8:32 AM, Gorsh said:

Regarding the model revision coming up - be careful what you commit to for the time being, it seems there are a lot of unknowns with price, standard features and even colours.  Have a read of this thread on PCGB https://www.porscheclubgb.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=995139#1008378 

yes. they're taking orders to get people in the queue but saying before final commit there will be a price increase and some spec changes. I've been hearing my19 detail is about a week away for the past month

On 9/26/2018 at 2:41 PM, Happy Days said:

Lovely spec - but at that money, you're getting into 911 territory?

I'm with you here, personally I'd be buying a 2nd hand 911 for that money but that said there's nothing like being the first owner...

On 9/26/2018 at 3:15 PM, Patt said:

Having tried seat coooling in the US recently, my OH now swears that the next car will have it

2 hours ago, Stuart21UK said:

I'm with you here, personally I'd be buying a 2nd hand 911 for that money but that said there's nothing like being the first owner...

yes, good points but i want a convertible and the 911 softtop is even more £££ and i've never been too taken how it looks as a softtop

47 minutes ago, basaltbox said:

yes, good points but i want a convertible and the 911 softtop is even more £££ and i've never been too taken how it looks as a softtop

I agree with you there, a 911 looks its best as a coupe - the convertible looks bloated in the rear with the roof down!

The same rule doesn't apply for the Cayman/Boxster, they both look good to me.

I also wouldn't worry too much about what you can buy with the same money - it's what you want that matters.  Anyone buying a new car (even a family hatchback) would have a massive choice of 'better' cars on the used market.

Archived