987.1 to 987. 2 worth 8k?

toplad

I must admit Im pretty happy with my 987.1, I'm not overly concerned about the engine going pop and think I have one of the better examples of 987.1. The mileage is fairly low, good paint work, service history, preventive maintenance, gets loads of compliments, etc..

However for some reason I keep looking at 987.2. 

If I did decide to go for it, I'd be looking at 6-8k to change and be on a bit steeper depreciation slope

Interested in hearing the views of guru's who have made such a change 

So pray tell why are you looking at a 2, there are small changes here and there but looks pretty much the same from a distance????

So you have to ask yourself, what is it about the 2 instead of the 1 that is worth all that extra money to you? and could you buy whatever it is and put in on yours for little money!!!

Headless,

I guess I'm addicted to autotrader

That's what I'm asking really, what are the noticeable differences and is it worth it???

I just bought a gen 2 2.9 (2011) and a friend bought a 2006 gen 2.7 gen 1 

apart from his being manual and mine a pdk there isn’t a ton of difference in the two cars. 

His had the sports pack (6 speed box and pass) and his sounds nicer than mine (he hasn’t got switchable exhaust and since it was supposed through OPC I assume his is standard Porsche fitment )

Mine looks fresher with black Center console and instrument and exterior lights and I have pcm he has CD-R 24 but otherwise mine is an increment over his nothing else. 

I like that the 2.9 hasn’t got the IMS spectre over its head and it’s probably a “better” engine but not enough to make it a must have 

Personally. I would hold onto the cash until 981’s come in range. 

I've had a .1 2.7 and now have a .2 2.9. There was another car and a gap between the two. The .2 improves incrementally over the .1 in many areas and they are only incremental improvements. Although I deliberately went for a 2.9 second time round and do prefer (love) it, I would not "upgrade from a 2.7 to a 2.9 directly for the £6-£8 difference in price. Ultimately though it is an emotive decision as much as a logical one. have fun :)

I changed from a 987.1 2.7 manual to a 987.2 3.4 PDK this year.

I only changed as I wanted a PDK due to having a hip replacement. To be honest I enjoyed the 987.1 2.7 manual much more, something about being more engaging changing gear with the stick, and revving toward the red line was a delight in the 2.7.

In my opinion I would recommend sticking with your 987.1 as other than a few cosmetic changes, and PDK in my case, there really isn't any real difference in the cars.

4 hours ago, onedesi said:

I’d have a thought a 981 would be the next step from where you are if you can afford it but I know that @Lonewolfgjp moved from a 987.1 to a 987.2 and spoke highly of the differences, hopefully he’ll be able to comment further .

Good evening 

I changed from a high spec 3.2 987.1 manual to a 987.2 PDK Black Edition with a slightly higher spec, and I have to say it is night and day different!

Im not sure if it’s down to mine being a special edition but it drives and feels like a totally different car. Both cars are well maintained and both have PASM but the feel of the 987.2 is totally different.

Yes you could argue it is just a faceliftted version of the 987.1 but the changes they have made have made a huge difference and imho worth the extra money to change. 

5 minutes ago, Lonewolfgjp said:

Good evening 

I changed from a high spec 3.2 987.1 manual to a 987.2 PDK Black Edition with a slightly higher spec, and I have to say it is night and day different!

Im not sure if it’s down to mine being a special edition but it drives and feels like a totally different car. Both cars are well maintained and both have PASM but the feel of the 987.2 is totally different.

Yes you could argue it is just a faceliftted version of the 987.1 but the changes they have made have made a huge difference and imho worth the extra money to change. 

I’m with you on this  

I took a similar route from 987.1 3.2 to 987.2 3.4 Black Edition.  

Definitely an uplift in solidity and quality. 

PDK is superb. 

It was definitely worth it to me to upgrade for the overall package.  

I went from a fairly high mile (but very fresh) 987.1S manual to a 987.2S PDK.  My price to change was £10k (or double), 2 years ago and IMHO worth every penny.  I've been looking around for a lower mileage model .2 as mine heads towards 90k but they are few and far between with the spec I'd want.

I love the PDK (which wasn't available on the .1) and the PCM with Bluetooth and USB is everything I need.

If you're going PDK, you will want Sport and Sport+.  It turns the car from a daily driver into a well accomplished sports car. :)

I've owned numerous boxsters over the years. The 987.2 to me just looks and drives like a newer car. No surprise there then. Only you can decide if its worth the cost to change.

Just as a point I went 981 back to 987.2 this year and it cost me an additional 16k! It was from a 981 2.7 to a 987.2 Boxster Spyder though but a massive amount for an older car. Its all if you feel it is worth it.

The 987.1 do sound better than the later cars though, if you get a 987.2 or 981 I would advise either get one with pse already fitted or get a carnewal mod done on the exhaust as it transforms the car.

since when does logic come into play? surely you just need to adjust the man maths to justify the cost of change

Autotrader is a dangerous pool to play in, so many options which make no logical sense, but they thrill of the chase in finding the perfect next car is addictive

Thanks for the insights guys, very helpful ?

Just for clarity I have the 987.1 3.4S, so would be looking at same later engine in 987.2. Still sticking with a manual  car if I changed. 

I test drove a few 987 3.2S before buying mine and thought the 3.4 was slightly better in terms of build and engine.  I'm just wondering if the jump from the 987 3.2S  to the 987 3.4 is similar to the 987.2. I'm guessing it is?

21 minutes ago, Mattman42 said:

since when does logic come into play? surely you just need to adjust the man maths to justify the cost of change

Autotrader is a dangerous pool to play in, so many options which make no logical sense, but they thrill of the chase in finding the perfect next car is addictive

Great post   ?

I’ve never driven a 3.4 987.1 but I’ve had two previous 3.2, one was a 986 and the other a 987.1.

The 3.4 dfi seems like a different animal altogether, much deeper growl with the PSE and it feels more torquey low down. I m pretty sure it is the same engine that is in the 981? Although my Black Edition has got a slight power increase over the standard 3.4 which I would imagine is just a type of remapping.

The Sports and Sports + modes are excellent but for me it’s the sports exhaust that brings it all together, lovely sound nice and deep but not over powering ?

Hello Everyone, 

First post!

I've just sold (traded in) my 987.1 after only 3 months with it! Was an amazing car with a great spec, chrono, PCCBs, PASM and 6 speed shortshifter, Nav. I replaced it with a 997.2 which although not the same shares the PCM 3 system which is light years ahead of the old 2.1 and the DFI engine is also a big step forward in terms of efficiency. Probably not 8k worth but how much extra is the 981 over the 997.2? LED lights are very nice in my opinion but not as nice as the 981 lights...

Archived