private plate...

Ianm333

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wife has a private plate on her car, I’ve never been that keen on them. However once I got my 2006 Boxster she convinced me to get one and to be honest as the car doesn’t look anything like 12 years old having a timeless plate does look good. So against my feelings of the past, a private plate on the right car does look good. 

Both our plates are very similar but as we couldn’t get an S where we wanted it we settled for a 5 on both plates, looks fine and a ‘1’ in place of an ‘I’ would look fine

i've had one for a few years now - my wife originally bought it for my 30th birthday as a way to slow my car swapping down - didn't work - now on car number 57!

I bought my wife one, then we got my son one when he passed his test, but couldn't get the "3" so go him a "6" and had to pre-purchase a matching one for my daughter as well to keep the pattern (i know, i'm sad)

Still haven't got them to park in alphabetical order though :(

6q4fJdJ.jpg

I like personalised plates. I've got a few, the current ones on the cars aren't dateless, but they both have our initials on them (my intiials first on my car, wifeys first on her car), so they look quite nice as a pair.

Also got a few other plates which aren't on any cars at the moment.

I say do it! :)

I really fancy one but just can't find one. I registered interest with the DVLA about one listed as going into a future auction but who knows when that is?!! It was so long ago I've forgotten what the plate was now! 

8 minutes ago, Sazzy said:

I really fancy one but just can't find one. I registered interest with the DVLA about one listed as going into a future auction but who knows when that is?!! It was so long ago I've forgotten what the plate was now! 

I have a couple registered with the DVLA but who knows if they will ever come up.  And of course you are in competition with everyone else to win at auction so I expect the price on my chosen plates will be potentially crazy.

I wish I had looked at some of my options years ago 🤔

I have a couple of plates.  One on retention. One on my Boxster.  My name and my maximum speed 😇

I got a decent one for my son - his first and surname combined pretty much.   It’s on retention until we get him a car new enough to wear it though.

I found decent plates for my wife and daughter but neither wanted something as showy as a personal plate 😂

Go for it @Ianm333 

6 hours ago, Ianm333 said:

I hope so 👍🏻 I would have come to cheddar but A) its waaaaayyyy too early and B, i have to work 😣

No worries.  

A )  We have to avoid the general traffic in that area so early starts are a must 😇

B )  We all have to put bread on the table 😌

IMHO all personal plates are a mugs game.  They are for people who want to say "I don't have the required imagination to spend my excess money on something tangible" :blush: 

That being said, I have a few, and have bought a few more, over the years. :blush: 

1/ If you have to explain the meaning, you end up feeling like a t!t :blush:   

2/ If you find a plate that you think is significant, and no one else has already bought that plate even though it has been on the DVLA site for years, you are wrong (see 1/). :blush:  

Model or manufacturer (to a lesser degree) related plates  - Are only good for as long as you stick with that car.  You either end up flogging the car with the plate or put the plate on retention for 10 years before it gets taken off you.  Most cars already have a badge with the name or model on it so why do you need it on the reg plate too?  I flogged a Kawasaki KLE500 twin with T500 KLE on it and took no premium for the plate.

Witty plates - A little better as they make other road users smile.  I have one that reads "Gas it on" sitting on a Gas Gas in the garage somewhere - probably the only plate I have where the 'value' is more than I paid - though I guess I won't know until I try to sell it.

Person specific (initials) - I can understand and have no problems with them.  They are vanity driven but are cheap so what is the harm?  All I would say is they are totally worthless if you ever wanted to sell, and each time you change cars you are putting £85 in the Government's coffers voluntarily.

Person specific (first name or nickname) - Probably the most dangerous type of plate to have.  As well as advertising that you have more money than sense, you are now inviting scum to call your name from across a street or car park and close with you.  You are still trying to remember where you must know the person from (as they know your name) when they pull out a weapon and ask you to hand over your watch/phone/wallet.

Investment plates - The less numbers and letters you have, the more the plates are worth.  Not a secure investment but for the past 100 years people have coveted short plates and there will always be idiots with excess money who will buy.

If the above has put you off, I'm not sorry that I have saved you wasting money.  If it hasn't put you off, then fill yer boots.  You're a mug, but amongst friends.  Just remember cherished plates are more readily remembered (not just by you) so you need to be on your best behaviour when out driving. :) 

I bought a £250 one for the Boxster as it has aged better than its owner and it takes the obvious year of the car away but the main one was that I can never remember my reg numbers but can now and will transfer it on sale. 

Personal plates are popular in these parts. Just after I got the car, I went on a trip to France with fellow members and I think that most people had a personal plate!

The Scottish way to do it, tight git style, is simply to change your name legally to whatever your current number plate is. Voila, you now have an extremely cheap personalised number plate of your exact name.

14 minutes ago, Scubaregs said:

The Scottish way to do it, tight git style, is simply to change your name legally to whatever your current number plate is. Voila, you now have an extremely cheap personalised number plate of your exact name.

An excellent idea NO8END!

21 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Personal plates are popular in these parts. Just after I got the car, I went on a trip to France with fellow members and I think that most people had a personal plate!

I was one of those sheep.  Baaaa. :) 

They don't mask age any more - since all registrations can be checked easily with DVLA.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just purchased one for my 987 Boxster, it’s in memory of my dad who passed away in July, his initials . The Boxster makes me smile during sad moments so seemed appropriate 

Archived