986 or 987

S2sam

After recently buying a 986 3.2s .it's gone back in to workshop for a few minor jobs ,but whilst there I noticed a nice 987 05 plate 3.2 s manual 89,000 , it's got 19 " wheels with matching Michelin , Bose,  cd disc changer  , heated seats, fsh  8 service stamps last one being 2000 miles ago , don't know exact spec  I took it out and It drove really well it seems a bit roomier for me I'm 6 foot 1 and the 986 is a little cramped , it's up for £10k  but I can have it for £ 9k  what do you guys think ? Is the 987 a better car than the 986 , it does look a lot more modern especially when parked side by side 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Meno says alot of this is subjective. Personally i agree that the 987 is more modern looking and as a result i was put off the 986 when looking iginally as i found it a bit too basic.  The 986 does seem to be the purist's choice and i think alot depends on the individual spec as they are all different. Ultimately it's your choice.

Ok ,do you guys think it's a fair price for a 987 3.2s 05 plate With fsh from a reputable dealer with warranty? 

12 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

If your 986 is a poverty spec then I can see the attraction but for me wait till you can afford 987 Gen 2.....

You are right but currently I don't think an S is much below 16k except a very high mileage one - that's quite some man maths...

43 minutes ago, Clivescoobydo said:

If your 986 is a poverty spec then I can see the attraction but for me wait till you can afford 987 Gen 2.....

@S2sam, FWIW I agree with the above...

If your 986 is running sweet, stay with it.

Again my very humble opinion is a stock Gen 1 987 is not worth the change (unless its an utter peach)

The 987.2 is enough of a difference to be worth it.

:laugh:And this is the joys of BoXa.net, if you posted a simple question like "Should I sleep with Charlize Theron..?" you would still get two side of the argument...

Yes the dealer will take back my 986 for the same money as I've only had it 3 weeks , my 986 has sports seats , trip computer , Bose , traction , 6 cd changer , and door cupholder covers ,seal grey 17 " alloys 68, 000 fsh 

So it's basically gonna cost me 1k to swap from a 04, 3.2 986 to a 05,  3.2 987 

14 minutes ago, S2sam said:

So it's basically gonna cost me 1k to swap from a 04, 3.2 986 to a 05,  3.2 987 

buy it, buy it :)

I had a set budget, if a 987 was available I would have bought it in a heart beat.

2 hours ago, S2sam said:

Yes the dealer will take back my 986 for the same money as I've only had it 3 weeks , my 986 has sports seats , trip computer , Bose , traction , 6 cd changer , and door cupholder covers ,seal grey 17 " alloys 68, 000 fsh 

Generous dealer back for the same as you paid and a grand off the 987....he must’ve got that for a steal.  Sounds like a no brainier.....

It’s all subjective, I prefer the look and drive of the 986, but another angle to look at is good 986’s are starting to increase in price while 987 are still depreciating and in some cases are more expensive, so if your looking to keep the car for a good length of time you might find your 986 being more expensive then the 987 you are looking to hand an extra grand for.

The 987 has features that the 986 hasn't got - drastically more modern interior, DRL and coming home lights, the ability to upgrade the rear lights to plasma LED's (which look absolutely beautiful, and look like 981 lights), projector headlights as standard for the ability to install HID bulbs, and so on.

But then the 986 is now considered a classic, with more in common to the 996 911. The issue with the 986 is that there's a lot of bad, neglected examples.

Another big criticism of the 986 is the 'old' looks and 'old' interior. But then you look at mine, for example:

ZrfH5rvl.jpg

3CZhqofl.jpg

Which just shows that a 986 can look superb. I'm not blowing my own trumpet by the way, I've just looked after it and taken some nice photos.

Drive both, see what you think.

Personally I think the 987 interior is a bit taxi cab, in that if you removed the badges you could easily be in a Toyota or something similarly dull.  Maybe it's just the dashboard.  I think a non black interior helps.

I think the trouble is I'd parked mine next to the 987 and tbh my 986 which is in impeccable condition and has some nice features it did look old fashioned .and as I already have a classic Porsche I've no need for another . I'm going up again on Saturday when he's spammed the 987 up for me , I've asked if the tyres are in good nick which they are, matching  Michelin pilot sports with 5-6mm all round , the 986 I have had been particularly well looked after with 11 service stamps and plenty of other work done .but so has the 987 ,so I'm in a quandary 

On 1/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, S2sam said:

After recently buying a 986 3.2s .it's gone back in to workshop for a few minor jobs ,but whilst there I noticed a nice 987 05 plate 3.2 s manual 89,000 , it's got 19 " wheels with matching Michelin , Bose,  cd disc changer  , heated seats, fsh  8 service stamps last one being 2000 miles ago , don't know exact spec  I took it out and It drove really well it seems a bit roomier for me I'm 6 foot 1 and the 986 is a little cramped , it's up for £10k  but I can have it for £ 9k  what do you guys think ? Is the 987 a better car than the 986 , it does look a lot more modern especially when parked side by side 

Re-reading this, I think your coded message is "I'm strongly interested in changing, is there any reason I shouldn't, that I wasn't aware of?".  To which the answer is "no".

Archived